Author Topic: He's Got a Ticket to Ride... Maybe...  (Read 3611 times)

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
He's Got a Ticket to Ride... Maybe...
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
I don't watch NA$CAR but my stunt double does and he said there was a dust up of sorts yesterday at the Virginia race.

Apparently, two racing car drivers from the Northeast got into a festuche on the last lap, one dude, the "bumper," won using the "Free to do anything to win move on the last lap," and in doing so has a free ticket to the championship event at Miami next month and a chance to be the France Cup Champion in 2018.   

But hold the presses!  News Flash!  In an interview after the race, the other dude who was the "bumpee," was less than happy about the move by the "bumper" and said the free ticket was stolen and there is a good chance it may be voided!  He seems to be a very believable chap.

Any denizens of Racing New York see this spectacle and if so, have any opinions regarding this, that, the other thing or good shows to watch on the Food Channel?

That's all I got....

Rataman
"Today is yesterday's future"

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: He's Got a Ticket to Ride... Maybe...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
I watched the first three laps and changed to football.  He's got a ticket to ride but She's got a pickle to hide. 

I'll be here all week. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
Real race fans were at a real race track watching real racing.  ::)

( OK Utica shut up....and reel in your nonsense)

Sorry  8)
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

phredo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
Real race fans were at a real race track watching real racing.  ::)

( OK Utica shut up....and reel in your nonsense)

Sorry  8)

What he said!
2021 Next: Bubba Raceway, Volusia Speedway, New Smyrna Speedway.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:03:58 PM »
Long story short, Truex started at the rear of the field, due to some issue during "tech inspection". He patiently and skillfully worked his way up to second place, and then CLEANLY passed Logano with a couple of laps to go. Logano then "did what he had to do", as they now call it, and dumped Truex, as they entered turn 4, on the final lap. Logano "won", or should I say crossed the finish line first. Truex recovered, but still got nipped to the line by Denny Hamlin.

Logano, in the post race interview, is all beaming, crowing that he's going to Miami. Truex, in his interview said, "He WON'T be the champion, I assure you".....

Personally, I think that Truex should "hire" Matt Kenseth, to administer a little payback.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Long story short, Truex started at the rear of the field, due to some issue during "tech inspection". He patiently and skillfully worked his way up to second place, and then CLEANLY passed Logano with a couple of laps to go. Logano then "did what he had to do", as they now call it, and dumped Truex, as they entered turn 4, on the final lap. Logano "won", or should I say crossed the finish line first. Truex recovered, but still got nipped to the line by Denny Hamlin.

Logano, in the post race interview, is all beaming, crowing that he's going to Miami. Truex, in his interview said, "He WON'T be the champion, I assure you".....

Personally, I think that Truex should "hire" Matt Kenseth, to administer a little payback.

100% agree.  "I did what I had to do" is the biggest line of horse crap in sports.  No wonder the sport is tanking.  If that little twit wins the championship there should be an asterisk.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »
So all you guys with your vast racing knowledge and history feel Logano's move was wrong? Because I said it was a sh!t move on another social media site and was blasted because "Martin would have done the same d@mned thing". 8 laps and he had ample opportunity to send Joey on that ticket to ride and didn't. Even his former boss said "I always told Martin he was too nice". Best comment: Rowdy Busch, who had a front row seat to the incident said the 78 was definitely the best car on the track until he got "chickensh!tted".

Short track racing on dirt or asphalt does present we fans with some great racing. Those 8 laps when Martin was closing and side by side with Joey were epic! As an MTJ fan I can tell you I was biting my nails and then cheering when he made the clean pass. As soon as I saw Joey go deep (much like he does with his BFF Crashalotski), I KNEW he was gonna move the 78, because his "sliced bread" status is a tad moldy. The fact that MTJ was able to keep the wheels under it, without hitting anything or anyone and STILL come home 3rd is amazing. And the fact that he was as fired up as he was in his interview and STILL professional says a lot. Both he and Cole Pearn kept their anger to a minimum when being interviewed and just showed determination. I heard no mention of retaliation on either of their parts, but I was hoping someone would have handed Cole the jack handle he was looking for. I would have also liked to have been present when Cole had his conversation with Todd Gordon, and I hope he said some of the same things I would have.

You can complain about watching NASCAR for all their issues, but I am here to tell you, I have seen some great races this season. The Larson/Busch battle was fantastic. Eric Almirola and Bowyer both getting wins - awesome. A team that no one said would even make it to Homestead because they are shutting down WILL win the Championship again this year. Barney Visser is going out on top. And there will not be anything The Captain or his team can do about it, whether he liked Martin's comments or not.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »
This "old fart" has attended, watched and worked many, many oval races (be it local, regional or national) and there's been one constant in ALL of them:  Once the white flag waves, IT'S ON!!! Especially at short tracks...a driver's job is to WIN! Martinsville is short track racing at its finest, (especially at the Cup level!) Had the opposite scenario occurred, I believe most fans would give Truex, Jr. a "pass" (pun intended!) Most NASCAR fans who kneel at the feet of St. Dale eventually never questioned the first time he did it in 1999 at Bristol to Terry Labonte (another nice guy like Martin).  Dale Sr. didn't get the nickname of "The Intimidator" by accident (another intended pun).  Sunny is right:  Even Dale Jr. remarked following the finish (paraphrasing here):  "I've told Martin he shouldn't be such a nice guy when racing hard".

A punched ticket to the NASCAR championship showdown at Miami was hanging in the balance.  I think the move was OK (so long as no one was seriously injured or worse).  The best racing down the final stretch is gonna be V-E-R-Y interesting and intriguing to watch, if Truex, Jr. makes good on his threat:  "He (Logano) won't win the championship, I promise you!".

Ratzso:  You may wanna ask your "double" if you can come over, and watch the race on his 55" flat screen (You probably should bring the beer--it's the right thing to do! LOL).  This might probably end up as the best hype the TV networks could ask for!  We now have a long-needed nice guy vs. villain story (and it may not include KyBu!)
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Beersy26

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
Truex may be too nice but he may not be too bright. Is there anyone that didn't know what Logano was going to do?  Truex should have waited till last lap last turn to make his move.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
Again - a ticket to Homestead hung in the balance. Maybe MTJ was naive to think Logano would race him clean. :shrug: But the amount of people calling it a crappy move equal those saying it was okay. For the record, I did say "he's gonna move ya" when Martin checked up after passing Joey.

Time to move on and see what happens. The World Finals are this weekend, so not sure how much time I'll have for NASCAR.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »
LOGANO ! He didn't do anything differently than kyle Busch to larson and Harvick to kyle Busch. Then Busch says it's a chicken #### move when he is a master at it.

Turbo01

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
I was at the race. It looked worse from the turn 1 stands than it actually was. I'm a Truex fan, and not a Logano fan at all. With that said, I knew the out come as soon as Truex cleared Logano exiting turn 2. I have been at 100's of races at all levels. Logano didn't do anything anyone else wouldn't have done. On the plus side, he didn't wreck Truex like Hamlin did to Elliott last year, a race I was also at. I've attended the last 5 fall races at Martinsville. Great racing at a great facility. Going back next year too, God willing.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
I hear you ! I didn't flip to football once couldn't stop watching thought it was a very good race.

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
It was dirty driving period. One of the biggest differences in NASCAR and Indycar today is this type of driving is not tolerated in Indycar. I agree much of this goes back to making a hero out of the way SR. drove.

smallguy

• Veteran
  • Last of the Time Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
Debating whether it was right/wrong seems to be irrelevant, because NASCAR has the final say and said/did nothing.  Not sportsmanlike for sure, though, especially if you live by the 'race how you want to be raced' mantra.  Not much honor among racers at the Cup level nowadays.

Dale drove people dirty, but for some reason (maybe charisma, maybe the historically rose colored glasses) we were willing to accept it more from him and far less from today's crop of drivers who whine better than their engines do.
I'm making perfect sense, you're just having a hard time keeping up! ... Matt Smith (Doctor Who)