Author Topic: Insurance .. Maybe the tracks should show proof..  (Read 5122 times)

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Insurance .. Maybe the tracks should show proof..
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
Lots of rumors the last few years about certain NYS asphalt tracks operating without insurance.. I remember Lancaster not having insurance the nite Rich Wrobel had his near death paralyzing accident..How can we as paid ticket holders,be sure that the race track has insurance for the nite, and that the owner/promoter isn’t being a cheap skate?? PS Oswego has a copy of theirs posted at the pit pass sign up booth..
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

Rman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance .. Maybe the tracks should show proof..
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:39:41 PM »
So let me get this right you race a stock car and are worried about ins. Coverage?? Maybe the wrong game for you!! I'm sure those gates don't open without liability ins. To cover spectators! As far as racers are concerned I'm not sure the tracks could afford to insure race drivers, maybe some do but I surely would not go to a race track as a driver with the expectation if I got gravely injured it would all be covered by the tracks ins!!, just my opinion!!

canuck5902

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »
No racer should be going through the gates without proof of insurance. If holland is still NASCAR they will have about as good of coverage as you can get.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »
Let's say this gets put into place--who is gonna take the time to read it COMPLETELY, including any fine print?

Any time a racing helmet is strapped on, EVERY driver/racer must understand and accept the inherent risk(s) associated with participating in the dangerous sport we love.

Most definitelty. insurance for spectators is a MUST. since no spectator should expect anything as far as serious injury just by paying to watch racing.

Many life insurance companies now have clauses that read:  benefits will not be paid if the insured engages in dangerous activities (auto racing would certainly qualify!)

If this suggestion is ever adopted, I can see unintended consequences.  Why not have the track insist on requiring drivers to buy and show an insurance "rider" before racing at a facility? (If you think about it, such a rule would not be all that much different than having mandatory safety equipment!)

In short, if anyone truly believes this suggestion is really needed, they should question their own CHOICE of whether to participate and if they don't want to accept the risks, should think about pursuing another less dangerous activity--like knitting!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:14:31 AM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »
Paz ... Your post comes from a guy who never turned a wheel in, or wrench on a race car,and has never had a wife or children to support..I know most drivers and crew in the ISMA series are thankful that the tracks we race at are insured and we have Howie Lane to thank that racing without insurance doesn’t happen.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:46:51 PM »
I freely admit every part of your personal attack is TRUE!  BUT you never directly addressed (as usual) the actual points I made in my post!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

canuck5902

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »
He likely did not debate your point because there is nothing there worth debating. Suggesting people that race for a hobby should  accept the possible loss of life or a life of bankruptcy is insane. I imagine there was a time when people made the same argument against seat belts, helmets, roll cages and safety crews.

Big Al-VT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
As a Paid ticket holder I don't think there is a way to confirm that Insurance is in place, competitors should be able to(if they take the time to read the release before signing).

I do know as a fact that 10 years ago or so a track in New Hampshire operated for better than half the season with no insurance of any kind, unbeknownst to either fans or competitors.

The state of Vermont has a racing commission that checks every track every year for safety, Insurance and a host of other things, I know New Jersey is even tougher

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:05:39 AM »
Paz ... Your post comes from a guy who never turned a wheel in, or wrench on a race car,and has never had a wife or children to support..I know most drivers and crew in the ISMA series are thankful that the tracks we race at are insured and we have Howie Lane to thank that racing without insurance doesn’t happen.

Sean, what's your problem??

One day you're lamenting the fact that asphalt oval track racing is dying, and you don't understand why, and the next day you're ripping people that are connected with racing, as well as the tracks that are trying to put on a show. If it's as easy and inexpensive as you imply, instead of criticizing others for not doing anything, why aren't YOU leasing one of the inactive tracks, and putting on the first class show, that you feel the drivers, crews, and fans deserve?? That way, you can rake in the money that the "greedy track owners", as you've said in your past posts, have been raking in, and you can become a wealthy man....

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
He likely did not debate your point because there is nothing there worth debating. Suggesting people that race for a hobby should  accept the possible loss of life or a life of bankruptcy is insane. I imagine there was a time when people made the same argument against seat belts, helmets, roll cages and safety crews.

I don't know how answer this post--other than to say: "Wow"!

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »

Sean, what's your problem??

One day you're lamenting the fact that asphalt oval track racing is dying, and you don't understand why, and the next day you're ripping people that are connected with racing, as well as the tracks that are trying to put on a show. If it's as easy and inexpensive as you imply, instead of criticizing others for not doing anything, why aren't YOU leasing one of the inactive tracks, and putting on the first class show, that you feel the drivers, crews, and fans deserve?? That way, you can rake in the money that the "greedy track owners", as you've said in your past posts, have been raking in, and you can become a wealthy man....

Good Luck! I have posed a similar question many times in response to his rants;  Not once has there ever been a direct answer!

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »
Lon obviously my PROBLEM as stated is that tracks should NOT run without insurance.. I personally have a career and have no interest of ever running a race track. I’m fortunate that the tracks I attend are run well and are prosperous..A racer should never have to compete at a speedway without insurance.. Paz like many others before me, I’m done with ya, that’s why nobody posts here anymore..

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 04:33:51 PM »
yup, well said,, i agree,,,,,with oneill71mod

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »
Lon obviously my PROBLEM as stated is that tracks should NOT run without insurance.. I personally have a career and have no interest of ever running a race track. I’m fortunate that the tracks I attend are run well and are prosperous..A racer should never have to compete at a speedway without insurance.. Paz like many others before me, I’m done with ya, that’s why nobody posts here anymore..

My PROBLEM is that DRIVERS who feel like you do knowingly still race at tracks they either know or are doubtful there's any insurance...

"nobody ever posts here anymore"--LOL!

Man, I wish I had that kind of power you think I have;  but at least you finally provided a direct answer!

Posting on social media proclaiming "you're done" is akin to a child running away from home...it will be cool at first but almost everyone knows you'll be back!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:12:45 PM by raceannouncer »

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
yup, well said,, i agree,,,,,with oneill71mod

Interesting that some people believe I have no right to have and post any kind of differing opinions but they insist they themselves have that same right without fear of someone disagreeing with them!