Author Topic: Hillside Buffalo Code of Conduct  (Read 10091 times)

Paul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Hillside Buffalo Code of Conduct
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »
The First Amendment guarentees that you can't be prosecuted by the government for speech.  It doesn't gurentee that there won't be consequences for said speech from the general public.

If you have a contract, for example, with an entity that prohibits negeative comments, and you make negative comments, the entity has the right to execute the contract.  It might have been the smarter play for the racetrack to have that clause as a condition for a license.  If you then say mean things about the track or it's personell then your license gets revoked. 

Turbo01

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »
I don't think this is the smartest policy. Remember in the later parts of the 2000's, when Tom Donahoe banned all negative signage at Bills games? The backlash was part of what cost him his job. If you're going to run a track, you need to have some thick skin. There's only 1 winner per class, that leaves (hopefully a lot of) other upset drivers. Like others have said, put on a good show and the rest will take care of itself. I wish Holland speedway luck this year.

Don96

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
Maybe not “the smartest policy”. I suggest if all the keyboard hero’s have better ideas maybe they should purchase one of the many asphalt tracks available. Most of you don’t even have $20-30 grand in equipment sitting in your garage , just hoping there is somewhere to race them. I, for one, would like to be able to race somewhere. Whether it’s holland or somewhere else, we need to quit bashing ALL tracks.

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 06:57:58 PM »
Thin skinned and soft liberal thinking on a race tracks part will cause loss of cars and fans..Maybe a failing track should take bashing as constructive criticism..WCIS speedway will benefit from Holland’s failures..
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 08:41:41 PM »
Consumers have the right to voice an opinion. See google reviews or yelp.

I used lyft service received a survey, I filled out a comment card at Tully's , I get rated at my business for customer service.

Hillside management I agree with that if a driver has a problem address to management but if A paying customer has a problem, Where do they go? oh yeah social media bc that is where we go nowadays

Your in the business of entertainment  own the situation and make it better

Dakota this is not directed towards you . In order for Hillside to survive you need drivers and fans on your side.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:53:07 PM by Hollandracer83 »

D_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Maybe not “the smartest policy”. I suggest if all the keyboard hero’s have better ideas maybe they should purchase one of the many asphalt tracks available. Most of you don’t even have $20-30 grand in equipment sitting in your garage , just hoping there is somewhere to race them. I, for one, would like to be able to race somewhere. Whether it’s holland or somewhere else, we need to quit bashing ALL tracks.
Exactly!!

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 09:17:37 AM »
With all the bad promoting,not to mention cheap and greedy track owners, now is the time for the racers to band together and organize against the tracks and race series for better purse structure,tech control and management. This should be done immediately with the dwindling sk/sst class.. Yes track owners and management will hate this,they will hate loosing the control factor, but it will definitely strengthen local Ashpalt racing.
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

Sodus Mike

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
So , you're genious idea is for the racers to park their cars and not race to prove a point ?

countrydave

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »
Instate a Actions Detrimental to Auto Racing Rule:

The Rule to Use When You Don't Know What Rule to Use
 This rule's catch-all phrase seems to allow it to be applied to everything from equipment violations to cursing & hurting somebody's feelings.

The very words of the rule makes one wonder what is actually detrimental to the sport?

Controversy is good for Auto Racing views and The Gate. one thing is all infractions have is controversy.

If people think that a frustrated driver/team may get caught in a moment of temper loss, they are going to have a human interest in it.

Part of the appeal of motor sports are the uncensored moments, the moments of passion, the moments of emotions: they make a sport human and connect the audience with the drivers & teams.

This rule should be held in reserve for only the most grievous of infractions, when the defamation is majorly exaggerated, false or the infractions threaten the safety of other drivers and fans.

Their not playing Tiddilly Winks on Track!
 Let's Go Racing!             

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
"Dont talk bad about us or we'll penalize you!"  seems quite defensive. 

Seems to me that a far more effective strategy would be to discuss this with the drivers and then, if there is negativity on social media, address it in a constructive, straight up way; as in "We understand that you disagree with the track's decision regarding X, here is our perspective..."  People can flame if they want, but if you deal with the flames in a professional manner, and if drivers and crew and fans understand that if there was a mistake that you will take measures to prevent the same issue from recurring, it will go a long way towards building respect for Hillside.

Chriszak7

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
It really has nothing to do with free speech or 1st amemdment. They are a buisness. And they fall under the law of they can refuse service or admission to their place if buisness for no reason whatsoever. So what they are saying is you talk bad (you can per 1st amendment) they can not allow you access for that reason. That's all it really is. The only thing the free speech laws do is keep you from being jailed for talking bad about them. That's it. Yes you won't go to jail per your first amendment rights. They CAN keep you away from their own little world and not let you play in their sandbox.

Beersy26

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
Seems to me that both bakes and ChrisZ have things about right. While it is true that a track can do and say what they want such a negative tone obviously will not sit well in todays customer service way of doing business. bakes approach would have been a much better way to have addressed the situation in my opinion.  I went and looked at Spencers policy, and Hillsides is a word for word copy.  Now, I am sure that there are many reasons for the demise of Spencer, but that policy and its wording pretty much speaks to John Whites idea of customer service,and that IS a big reason for the failure there in my opinion. Ooops, good thing I am not affiliated with a team cause I would have got them fined or penalized.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »
In my opinion, "Social Media" is not that much different than a power tool in the shed.  How it's used by an individual determines it's worth of doing a job.  If it's used carelessly or without much thought, it can cause unintended consequences.

Constructive criticism is one thing.  Constant negativity toward any aspect of the sport achieves NOTHING!  Demanding your "right" to speak any way you want comes with responsibility!

The internet and it's various ways to communicate are still very much in infancy--for now, it's a double-edged sword.  It can be good or bad, depending on how it's "wielded". I understand why some tracks might want to adopt such a policy.  But I also understand why many fans and drivers might not like it!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:19:41 PM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

smallguy

• Veteran
  • Last of the Time Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »
Anybody can complain, gripe, fume, or vent.

Some can make constructive arguments with well thought out points.

Some can listen and engage in intelligent conversation.

It all means nothing if no actions are taken.

So I ask, where do you fall among the above?
I'm making perfect sense, you're just having a hard time keeping up! ... Matt Smith (Doctor Who)

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
WHO CARES ABOUT ANY OF THIS