Author Topic: Lancaster possibly closing  (Read 9242 times)

Iloveracingwny

• View Profile
Lancaster possibly closing
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »
Article in Buffalo news does not sound promising for the track.  Hopefully a buyer can be found hate to see any track close up. Maybe explains why Tom packman exited at the end of the season this year

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lancaster possibly closing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
Well we know Tim reads here, hopefully he will comment.. 8)
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
For DECADES, the rumors of the gravel pit both moving westward, toward the track, as well as the gravel company having options on the land the track is on, have been around. Maybe they are more than just rumors. Look at what happened to the original Shangra-La....

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
Ah.....foot  the gravel pit (Buffalo Stone) is already west of the track. If they went east they would have to mine Gunnville Road first.

The old town dump..er landfill is just east of the speedway property. If the track were to close ( God forbid) the only happy people would be

some residents in Clarence that have been trying to close it down for years.  The better rumor is now the the T-Way could finally build exit

48b.  ::).  This is too depressing to even think  about.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Iloveracingwny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »
Well sadly this isn’t a rumor.  You can’t get any more official then the owner stating unless he finds a buyer the speedway won’t open...  hopefully someone can step up or looks like holland and Wyoming county could reap the benefits

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
Ah.....foot  the gravel pit (Buffalo Stone) is already west of the track. If they went east they would have to mine Gunnville Road first.

The old town dump..er landfill is just east of the speedway property. If the track were to close ( God forbid) the only happy people would be

some residents in Clarence that have been trying to close it down for years.  The better rumor is now the the T-Way could finally build exit

"UM", I was having a "senior moment".....I have to admit that I haven't been to Lancaster in quite a while, and I was thinking that the pit was east of the track, and creeping westward. I guess that because we'd head west on the T'way, and get off after passing the track and the pit, my old mind thought we drove past the pit first. I stand corrected.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
Come on people with money buy the place!!

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
Come on people with money buy the place!!
They probably won't because they want to keep their monies.

linable

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
How about someone or corporation buying it and selling stock to fans.Every true fan would like to say that he or she owned part of the track

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 01:49:39 PM »

UM: the Interstate exit has rumor been tossed around for 30+ years without ANY progress or plan...The necessary mountain of paperwork, environmental hurdles and public hearings would take years to accomplish the goal!  That rumor should have died a long time ago!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
With all the crap buried in the dump adjacent to the track,NOBODY will ever dig or build on the speedway  land..call it love canal 2....
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

linable

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »
If major company takes over the could change name maybe Fuccillo raceway,Cellino and Barnes speedway, Car dealer could use lot for storage of inventory as they do now at Easternhills mall. Work for a local company ,why not ask them if they would to ibcrease their business

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 07:52:24 AM »
I think the really sad part of all these track closings, is how the motorsports fans are treated like the "red headed step-children" of the sporting world, at least in this area. In Rochester, we have 3, tax payer supported, sports arena/sports stadiums. While the new baseball park was pretty much needed, as the 80 year old one was in rough shape, the "soccer stadium" really wasn't needed, and although a nice venue, the soccer team is on "hiatus", and the lacrosse team I have no idea about. Nonetheless, we taxpayers keep ALL of these facilities in functioning condition.

But let a private operator want to operate an existing, or, GASP, build a new motorsports facility, and they face more red tape than the  3M corporation could produce. The Buffalo Bills, which have a decent stadium, threaten to leave Buffalo, and the city immediately begin looking for ways to fund a new, glitzy, mega-million dollar stadium. Tell them that a long standing Buffalo area tradition, Lancaster Speedway is possibly closing, and they stare at you and say, "So what"? Yet the track could be saved for probably 1/20 the cost of a new football stadium.

In Williamson, when the Spencer brothers wanted to retire, and sell their long-standing racetrack, subsequent owners were constantly barraged with restrictions and/or regulations that they had to adhere to. A sports facility that operates 2 days a week, 4 months a year, and the area's "newer" residents acted like the track was operating 24/7. Don't like noise? Then don't buy a house near an existing motorsports facility!

OK, rant over...……..

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »

"UM", I was having a "senior moment".....I have to admit that I haven't been to Lancaster in quite a while, and I was thinking that the pit was east of the track, and creeping westward. I guess that because we'd head west on the T'way, and get off after passing the track and the pit, my old mind thought we drove past the pit first. I stand corrected.

All posted with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  48b is not to be !!  LOL  I'm going to think positive about the old girl.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."