Author Topic: You need to remember THIS...  (Read 10444 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
You need to remember THIS...
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
Re: You need to remember THIS...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
This thread should be locked. One of the worst racing movies ever. "Harry, this guy going down"
Kareem of Wheet

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »
Worst line in any racing movie ever.

Celebrating 25 years of being used as a lame excuse by douchebag drivers across the country!
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
Worst line in any racing movie ever.

Celebrating 25 years of being used as a lame excuse by douchebag drivers across the country!

Matbe not as bad but in the same flick:  "Hit the pace car!"

WHY?

"Because you've hit just about everything else out there"...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
Interesting that this stupid movie upsets some on here but not the actions of some at B/G stadium

on a semi regular basis. Go figure?
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:20:56 PM »
"You need to lock this thread!"

"We're busy."

"Busy?!?!"

"We're eating ice cream."

"Ice cream!?!?!?!"

The movie is awesome, Robert Duvall is awesome, and you guys need a sense of humor. Why is Ricky Bobby funny but not Cole Trickle?

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »
can I say this was only a MOVIE... just entertainment,,, just fun.  Racing is REAL.. it's a commitment... it takes skill as well as daring,,,,,  let's just enjoy both. I thought it was a good MOVIE,,, last nite's racing was real  (not pretend ) ... honest folks worked hard,, spent money,,, and,,, drove their hearts out......  I am a racing fan.

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
Never ever was told I need a sense of humor. Now Stroker Ace was a funny race movie.
Kareem of Wheet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Our guidance is from movie lines?  OK.

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.  We must be over the rainbow.

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
I liked the flick.I actually like them all that are about Stock Car Racing.
Ron Doebler

HoosierDaddy1

• Rookie
  • America Will Be Great Again. Just Like NASCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
Some of you are uneducated, disrespectful, and don't really know much about any form of racing, except what you see in Western N.Y. Days Of Thunder was a tribute to Harry Hyde (and about as accurate as can be). The "hitting the pace car", and "eating ice cream" (and I am sure the rubbin is racin) are all quotes from the great crew chief.

Now for some schoolin. Watch this video. And see how close the movie comes to Harry Hydes' life. Including the "downtown Charlotte car dealer" remark from the movie (Rick Hendrick). And the reference to an open wheel driver is just going to come in and drive NASCAR from the movie (Tim Richmond). Lets not forget Rick Hendrick had a big part in making that movie, and might have very well heard Harry make that statement about "rubbin is racin"

It took me awhile to find proof of the similarities between the life of Harry Hyde and Harry Hogg in Days Of Thunder, but I remember seeing this program.

PUD just never ceases to amaze me with his supposed expertize.

https://youtu.be/uHv1krD7U2Q
Definition And Pronunciation Of:
rinky-dink, [ring-kee-dingk]
Rinky-Dink As A noun:
ROC, VMSRS,Try-Track, and now AMSPS.

Sportsman/SK/SST Will Now Be Known As:
H.A.M.F.F. (Handy A***'s Modified Field Fillers)

Jazzy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »
Hd1, I'm continually amazed at your defense of anything Nascar related. Including this horrible film (and I absolutely love it-including owning it on vhs even though my vcr died years ago).  Are you on their payroll? Seriously....yes there are some historical parallels that the movie was loosely based on but geez its Top Gun on wheels for  petes sake....

Let me out of the cahhh Cole!
"Jazzy" Jeff Whalen
jeffw@giarussa.com
585-993-1716
ArmoredAccess.com, Sutton Architecture, The Blue Wall, Thomas R. Lamb Professional Services LLC, Abbott Rd Pizza, Xpress Sign Systems, Fast Cash & Ride, KDM Die, Inc, Wizard Cooling Performance Radiators

justmark

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • WNYRaceZone - Western New York Racing News
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 12:48:09 AM »
HoosierDaddy1, You're almost totally unlikeable and trying to rub many people the wrong way in my humble perspective. It's just beyond bizarre with most of your posts that I've read.....
Captain History
FOAR SCORE Club Historian

"Life's too short, man"

Be kinder than necessary as everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle: Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
The meeting between Cole and the bad guy and Fred Dalton Thompson was actually based on a meeting between Big Bill, Earnhardt, abd Bodine, also. Not sure if the "greasy spot on a country road" comment was actually made, but I do know there was a point that both Dale and Geoff got told to cool there shenanigans.

Guidance from movie lines is just as good as giudance from somewhere else.

Gomer, not as good as 'Cannonball Run'.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »
This will come as a shock to some but I'm going to defend HD (a little) on this one. True he needent start his comments with his usual

obnoxious comments but his point of the movie being based on a real life character is spot on. These movies aren't documentaries, they're

made for entertainment so Hollywood uses a little "license" to spice up the story.  Not a big deal really. Slap Shot was more or less based on

life in the minor leagues of hockey (the old EHL) and some real life characters were used in the movie ( the Hansons and carlson's were real players).

A number of the Johnstown jets were extras in the film.  The movie Unstoppable (danzel washington) was a story based on a real life incident that happened

in Toledo ,Oh  where a freight train got away unmanned from  a yard and traveled nearly 60 miles before being stopped.  The movie had some huge woppers

in it but again it was just a movie.  Racing ,trains and hockey all hold my interest but i don't get all cranked  up when hollywood add's their touch.

Now real life crap at B\G and what they call racing now on the WMT...that's what gets my goat.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."