Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1813603 times)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #1485 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
Here's the same car with a new owner at Waterloo Speedway a few years later. I believe Bruce Roll was the driver. Photo by me.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 10, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
And here's Alan's Weld car with the hood off at Waterloo. Photo by me.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 10, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
Not sure but I think my family simultaneously came up with the term Circus Wagon to describe that paint scheme the first time we saw it. I actually kind of liked it since most of the cars of the day were solid or two-tone. I always felt the first Mud Buss was dimensionally nearly the same as TICO's reworked show-car but with a much better engineered and stiffer chassis. I remember when Alan showed up with TICO's car with the huge off-set in the rear-end. I had purchased my Malzahn designed car and it had four inches of off-set built into it and it was the first time I'd heard of building a dirt car with different length rear end tubes. Then Alan shows up with like 16 inches of off-set with the TICO Conley car and I couldn't believe it but man did that ugly thing fly!!!

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 11, 2011, 03:02:23 AM »
Here's the same car with a new owner at Waterloo Speedway a few years later. I believe Bruce Roll was the driver. Photo by me.

Bruce Lord from Holcomb, NY - now known as Bloomfield, NY.
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 11, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »
Looking in the background of AJ’s Weld car pic at Waterloo, is that all they had for grandstand seating back then?  I'm guessing there was probably more bleacher seating toward turn one?   There doesn't seem to have been many seats there for a promoter to work with.

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 11, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
That was considered the "Clyde" grandstand.  Most of the fans from Clyde seemed to sit there.  Further down the straight was a small set of bleachers, then a covered grandstand.  Seating at that time was about 1,500.
John Flock

Greg Birosh

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 11, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »
Can anyone on here tell me how the practice of putting the state abbreviation (such as "NY") after a race car number got started?  Was it just something that a few people did?  Did it hold any particular significance?  Was it a rule for a particular sanction or track?  Or was it just home-state pride?  Any insight is appreciated.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
Can anyone on here tell me how the practice of putting the state abbreviation (such as "NY") after a race car number got started?  Was it just something that a few people did?  Did it hold any particular significance?  Was it a rule for a particular sanction or track?  Or was it just home-state pride?  Any insight is appreciated.
That's a good question.  I always wondered that myself.  It seems like the modifieds in the 60’s and 70’s that had those State abbreviations lettered on their cars ran at NASCAR tracks: Fonda, Malta, U-R, Stafford, Norwood, Riverside Park, Thompson, Islip.  I think NASCAR had separate State championship point standings in addition to their National Championships at one time.  I wonder if it had something to do with that?

24KC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 13, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
Could it have been because of NASCAR's no duplicate numbers.  At least that way there was 100 numbers available to a state.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1494 on: April 17, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
I found some more cool stuff on Jimmies racing photos...these were posted by "Rarmen"
There wasn't any photographer info, so if you know who took the picture, feel free to interject.
First shot is of Jack McCutcheon @ Oswego Speedway w/ the #73
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1495 on: April 17, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »
Warren Coniam (#46) and Jimmy Shampine (#8) @ Oswego Speedway 1966
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1496 on: April 17, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »
Last one...Bobby Courtright of Hamburg, NY @ unknown track....check out the champ car in the background
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

ole bones

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 17, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
The 3 car in the last pic was a Scats Anfusco (? spelling) car, a  URC regular, possibly at Flemington, prob. a USAC show

WaltS171128

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 20, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »

Hi Greg, good to hear from you again, I'm Lyle's brother. In regarding what you asked about, the only time I had heard about a driver putting the state's intials on a race car was done as a joke back in 1951 and the story was told to a bunch of us at Angelica in the early 60's by the late great Dean Layfield. He told us that one of the funniest things he'd ever seen on a stock car was the number 22NYI. The drivers' name was Buck Mantooth. The guy wasn't a bad driver but there were two other guys with the number 22 at this old track that no longer is in existence. This riled Mr Mantooth up seeings how he was 22 years old at the time and was told by track officials that he couldn't use that number on his new Ford he was about to race. So he got him some paint and a brush and put in big letters the NYI after the 22. Well, suffice it to say, after the race was over, a few of the drivers asked him what the NYI stood for and he bluntly said " well look, since I can't use the number 22 I did the next best thing and put down NYI which was " New York "Indian ", and by God, they'll all know who I am now ! I thought Dean was going to choke on his Lucky Strike when he finished that story.

But yes, it could be what was told to you about a Nascar affiliation, but I don't believe it was anything significant, I believe it was done as more of a joke that anything. Maybe someday someone will supply the answer, but your inquiry got me to thinking about that cool story that Dean told to my Dad and a bunch of us at the track.

Hey, good to see you on again, Greg. Take care
Old time racing is still the premise of what is and always be the best racing EVER between men, women and machines !

The number 171128 in my name signifies my brother Lyle's number 17, the 11 for my brothers Kevin and Bobby, and 28 for my father's 1958 Mercury he won so many features in

WaltS171128

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 21, 2011, 02:34:19 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Greg, tell your father I said hello, how is he been doin' ? I can still recall Lyle and I making trips up to your Dad's shop back in the day. Like Dylan Dewert knows along with the Lawson boys, Walt Mitchell, Steve Paine and a host of others; that when Lyle went on these excursions up north it was hard to get him to leave, it seems I always I had to bribe him to get him to finally leave in that I'd holler at him " ok, I'm buying dinner, where's the nearest Red Lobster John ?", :) When it came to grub Lyle couldn't wait to hit the road, especially if he knew someone else was buying and it was lobster :) You were just a young guy then, if I recall.

I can still recall your Dad driving our Dad's modified in the first Skoal race at Woodhull in 1989 which I believe Kenny Brightbill won and your Dad finished 6th or 7th, I'm not sure which, but I know your Dad ran his guts out to finish where he did coming from the back of the pack. Great memories ! I miss those Skoal races at Woodhull.

Well again, tell your father hello, he's one hell of a good man !
Old time racing is still the premise of what is and always be the best racing EVER between men, women and machines !

The number 171128 in my name signifies my brother Lyle's number 17, the 11 for my brothers Kevin and Bobby, and 28 for my father's 1958 Mercury he won so many features in