Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 556065 times)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #645 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
Squirt Johns told a story...
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #646 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
Dick Close chatting with Cal Lane
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #647 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »
One of the greats...Bucky Dew
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #648 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
This is Howard Boyce who built South Seneca Speedway in Ovid N.Y. Howard brought the original flag set he had used at the speedway in the mid-fifties....
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #649 on: July 25, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »
Great crowd...Great People...Great stories! You should all put it on you to-do list for next year.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:09 PM »
here's that pic of Casterline you were looking for. Pic by L.O. Duncan.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #651 on: July 31, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
Another one of the Joe Amentler articles from 1976.....

From the Elmira Star-Gazette  June 25, 1976

Around the Tracks
by Joe Amentler

The reign of King Richard the somnolent is threatened. Richard Petty's control of the NASCAR Grand National domain is under seige by "Prince" David Pearson, whose victory in the battle of Michigan International Speedway last Sunday added to his stature and his treasury. It was Pearson's seventh triumph in eight major tests this year.

In the realm of modified sportsmen, Sonny Seamon displayed his power at Shangri-La as he captured his fourth feature of the season. Richie Evans was campaigning elsewhere and after contenders George Kent and Wayne Edwards were forced to the rear in seperate mishaps, Seamon coasted unchallanged to the win. Dean Hoag had his best finish of the year, taking the runnerup spot. Kent and Edwards came back to finish three and four. Larry Groover was fifth.
   Mike Casterline continued his winning ways in the Shangri-La late model action, copping his fourth in a row. Duane Ellis had a comfortable lead late in the event but handling problems caused him to spin out allowing Casterline to maintain his win skein. Frontrunners Bob Frisbee and Chet Bennett Jr. had difficulties, with Bennett wiping out in a first lap wreck and Frisbee suffering a flat tire while in contention. Dave Machuga took his second consecutive place finish and Jim Zacharias was show.

Maynard Troyer picked up his second Spencer Speedway feature Friday night. Evans followed him across the line, with Seamon third and Kent fourth. Fulton's Sunday card was rained out.
   Another late model rookie entered the winner's circle at Chemung Speedrome Friday night. Stan Clark of Corning, who has been a contender since his debut, charged from fourth to the front in the opening laps and cruised to his first feature win. Gail Barber worked his way up to second from eighth and Tom Gush, Chet Bennett Jr. and Bob Frisbie rounded out the top five.

The Shipman brothers took the street stock cash, with Denny winning (his sixth) and Jerry second.
   Geoff Bodine will be competing at the Speedrome this Friday night, probably behind the wheel of the Frisbie Deuce.
   Last Friday, Bodine traveled to a double feature show at the Monadnock, N.H., Speedway and after wrecking in the first main event, he came back to win the second. Geoff's regular stop at Stafford Speedway Saturday night was rained out. Sunday's Thompson Speedway contest found Geoff winning his second in a row and third of the year at that high-banked oval. Fred DeSarro, another three time winner, was second and Bob Santos third.

Stafford will present the Winston 150 NASCAR Championship modified race this Sunday afternoon. Most of the Mod Squad heavies will be at that one.
   The URC sprinters were rained out at Jennerstown, Pa., Speedway last Saturday. They'll make an appearance at the Beckley, W. Va., Speedway this Saturday night. It will be a twin-25 lap format with lots of loot up for grabs.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #652 on: July 31, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »
So....there I was looking for some photos to go with this article when I stumbled upon this.....

http://www.racinghistorian.com/Galleries/Other-Exhibits/Vintage-Local-Track-Images/5472854_JNhSwJ#!i=334686389&k=eV5M5

I almost fell out of my chair....enjoy!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

MODiFried

« Reply #653 on: August 04, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »
So....there I was looking for some photos to go with this article when I stumbled upon this.....

http://www.racinghistorian.com/Galleries/Other-Exhibits/Vintage-Local-Track-Images/5472854_JNhSwJ#!i=334686389&k=eV5M5

I almost fell out of my chair....enjoy!

SWEET !   ;D nice pics/link Thanks Bob

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #654 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »
Another fine article from Joe Amentler...

From the Elmira Star-Gazette   Sept. 3, 1976

Around the Tracks
By Joe Amentler

The mettle and the metal of the modified men and machines will be put to the test this weekend as racing's second season of long distance special events begins.
   The big money chase starts tonight at the Riverhead, L.I., Raceway with an extra-distance race on the quarter-mile asphalt.
   The 10th Modified-Sportsman 200 at Oswego Saturday is half of a holiday weekend double bill at the ultra fast oval. Sunday will see the 20th renewal of the International Classic 200 for Super Modifieds. A total purse of $75,000 for the two events will be contested for by drivers from across the U.S. and Canada.
   The Mod Squad skirmishing continues on Labor Day with the 200-lap NASCAR National Championship race at Stafford Motor Speedway, with $20,000 in posted awards.

The Dirt Modifieds will be at the Syracuse Fairgrounds Monday afternoon for a 30-lap, $12,000 tuneup for the Schaefer 100 at the Syracuse mile Oct. 3. Following the daylight action most of the contestants will haul to Rolling Wheels, Elbridge, N.Y., for an evening 100-lap special.
   The macadam modifieds return to Long Island next Saturday for the Freeport Speedway's $20,000 Bicentenial 200. Succeeding weeks will offer the $30,000 Thompson 300 on Sept. 19: the 26th 300 mile Race of Champions at Trenton International Speedway, Oct. 10: and the Cardinal 500 at Martinsville, Va., a week later.

Based on accomplishments so far this season, the favorites in the big blacktop races have to be Richie Evans, Maynard Troyer and Geoff Bodine.
   Evans was hot again last weekend, scoring wins at Spencer, Shangri-La and Fulton, while George Kent was runnerup at Oswego.
   Mike Casterline won his eighth Late Model feature at Shangri-La and wrapped up the season championship in that division.
   Evans and Troyer, sporting wings on their modifieds, finished one-two at Stafford's "anything goes" Modified Madness special Tuesday night.
   Geoff Bodine ran off with his 10th and 11th Thompson Speedway features last week. Nine of the wins have been in the regular Sunday races and two in mid-week Yankee All-Star League events. The two All-Star victories along with a second and seventh in that six-race series have gained him the League point title.
   Fred DeSarro won Stafford's last regular season show Saturday and took the point crown from Bodine. Geoff finished third in the race and second in the points, while his car owner, Dick Armstrong, was tops in owners points for the second year in a row. Bodine won at Westboro Speedway Friday night, his second triumph at that oval.

Jerry Cook copped an extra point race at Islip Speedway last Saturday and appears headed for his fifth NASCAR National Modified title.
   The United Racing Club crown is still up for grabs. Contenders Gary Gollub, Bill Schroth and Harry Benjamin were shut out last weekend. Bill Buckley won at Rolling Wheels and Bill Wentz Jr. took the Orange County Speedway feature.
   Races at Flemington, N.J., Fair Saturday and Sunday could decide the point race. Only a couple of contests in Canada remain on the URC schedule.      
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #655 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
Some photos to go with the article....Jerry Cook (Getty image)
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #656 on: August 15, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Fred DeSarro
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #657 on: August 17, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
Another picture to go with the above article...I had to dig through my old flash drive to find this. It was "borrowed" from the HAMB and there wasn't any photog info on the pic, but there was at least one other picture on that thread showing Richie Evans car w/ wings....This is Geoff Bodine's #99 ride w/ Troyer's #6 right behind. I don't think it was from 1976, but you get the idea.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 18, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
The photo of the #99 is from 1980 at New Smryna Speedway in Florida.The other car is Brett Bodine in the #4 car.

Nate Pickering

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 23, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
All photos in this collection are photos of the Woodhull Raceway taken back in the '80s and one in the early '60s. 

1st Photo: Lin Hough, who later went on to promote the Dundee Raceway, which is now known as the Black Rock Speedway.

2nd Photo: A Canadian named Bill Sheldon raced his modified at the Woodhull Raceway, during what I call the "Canadian Invasion." From 1979 to 1981, Canadians were regular competitors at Woodhull. This particular man was one of the fastest.

3rd Photo: Donald Lawson Sr.'s modified at Woodhull. This particular modified was lettered by Sean Lias.

4th Photo: Larry Robbins posing beside his modified at the Woodhull Raceway, which was also lettered by a legend of the sport, Sean Lias.

5th Photo: Bob Fidler at the Woodhull Raceway. During this time, I believe his son was piloting this car as well.

6th Photo: Moose Crowell's amateur/street stock at Woodhull Raceway. It was lettered by Sean Lias and Moose eventually moved to the southern United States.

7th Photo: Joe Rice's amateur/street stock outside of his home. He was a regular competitor at Woodhull as well.

8th Photo: Tom Taber's sprint car, who was a competitor at Woodhull in the modifieds back in the day. He was another great competitor.

9th Photo: A picture of John Moravec's modified in the pitting area at Woodhull. He was from Penn Yan, I do believe.

10th Photo: Greg Church posing for his much-wanted victory at Woodhull. -Tim Deebs' Photo

11th Photo: Quite possibly one of the greatest to ever compete at Woodhull, is none other than Don Kio. He was the man to beat! Call him the "Billy Van Pelt of Yesteryear." -Todd Burgess Photo

***I have hundreds more of Woodhull photos from back in the day that I will post as time permits. I hope everybody enjoys them!***
***A big thank you goes out to Ron and Sean Lias for "supplying" me with a bunch of vintage Woodhull photos!***