Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 555973 times)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Candy...thanks so much...I'll drop Jackie soper a note.
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

dirtraceguy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
I havent paid to much attention to this thread untill today, and I had the idea that it would be quite interesting if we could put all of this information (mostly old photos and scanned images of programs) into one website, in an attempt to make it more easy than looking through archives on raceny for items from a certain track.  If anyone else likes this idea, I would be more than happy to start a site, and everyone with something to contribute could email me what they have to offer for me to put up. Just an idea  :)

Beenthere

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
Thanks again Bob for unearthing another super Bob Fuller column, and thanks also to Candy for her always excellent writing and great memories. Though she didn't mention it, she wrote many excellent columns on racing when she and Lee lived up this way and fielded modifieds.
I know her list of Towanda VFW and Chemung names wasn't intended to be all inclusive -- though she got many of the most memorable. I do indeed recall her mother's name, often heard at the VFW back in that day.
But after a lot of digging into the dusty corners of my brain, I'll add to the Towanda roster Norm Welty's 27, Gordie Blanchard's 3B, Howard Light driving Pap May's 188B or 189B, Dale Berry's 112(?) and Doc Bill Elrod's 105B. I think even Jim Zacharias drove there a few times in his earliest years. Bob and Bob have already brought Bucky Buchanan and Hal Hoose to our attention. And to the Chemung list add Cal "Swivel" Lane and Cliff Pierce's 111 bug.
A Bernie Foster story, as I remember it some 50+ years later:
The hell drivers had come to the VFW for a show, ... I think it was the Joey Chitwood crew.
The next weekend Foster, the zany flagger and official-everything, decided to duplicate one of the stunts for the crowd.
Chitwood's people had strapped a driver to a car hood and crashed him through a wall of flame, an act that was always part of their show.
Foster decided to try that, allowing himself to be firmly strapped to the hood of perhaps a Modern. As I recall it, a wall of plywood was erected and lit on fire. Bernie donned white painter's coveralls for the stunt. What Bernie didn't know was that the hell drivers used something like balsa wood, lots of hay, and a suit of material that wasn't too flamable, plus some sort of quick release buckle to get the driver off the hood in a flash.
So Bernie crashed the wall, got his bell rung by the plywod, only to find burning splinters of wood stuck under his body which was still firmly attached to the hood. As I recall he did a lot of squirming and wiggling on those embers before they got him off to the hood, to the laughter and hoots of the crowd.
Another Foster stunt I remember:
There was a special announcement over the PA as the feature -- B cars as I recall, were circling the track ready to take the green. The crowd was told that Bernie would give the cars the one more lap signal as they passed him on the front stretch (he started races from the track), and then as the field rounded turns 1 and 2, Bernie would sprint to the backstretch to give the field a surprise green flag. Of course some drivers were paying attention and saw it, but others were caught off guard and and kept a slow pace and got left in the dust.
At least that's the way I remember it. Can you imagine something like that being done today?
I could go on -- racing sure was differnet back then, and in some ways better -- but that's enough for now.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2010, 08:19:24 AM »
Here's one for Candy Dolin...
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
In the day,did Towanda go head to head against Chemung?

Beenthere

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:09 AM »
I don't remember. Seems to me they almost always ran on opposite nights, Towanda on Friday night and Chemung Saturday. But judging from the ad above Towanda must have tried Saturday nights at least for a while, or maybe the ad is mistaken???

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Candy -

Please keep telling the stories. As a history freak, I find this stuff incredibly fascinating. I started going to the races when I was 9 years old in 1972, and a lot of the memories you have were things the announcers talked about during track packing sessions and rain delays. Some of what they had to say was seen first hand. Some of it was passing along stories that were told to them by other people. Most of what they were saying was just barely 20 years old at the time. I wish I had paid closer attention to the details then, but I was only 9... I was easily distracted. Hearing them from someone who lived it is cool. Hearing it from someone who can still remember the finer details is rare. And hearing from someone who writes well is unheard of.

You keep posting and I'll keep reading. And if people aren't interested in what you have to say, they can read another topic as far as I am concerned. This thread is about Southerntier racing. You've got stories to tell and an audience who is interested in hearing what you have to say.
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
This newspaper ad for East Towanda Raceway (VFW) is from 1962.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »
A big weekend of racing at the Chemung Speedrome in 1958...

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »
This one's pretty rare - a 1955 Shangri-la Speedway ad from the Binghamton Press.  Note the "Le Mans Start" in the main events and racing taking place on BOTH the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile tracks...

Beenthere

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
The one VFW ad here mentions, "Will a Jaguar beat a stock car? Answer Saturday night."
I very well remember that race, or at least part of it, and have written about it on this forum before.
You see, promoters were much more inventive back in the '50s, coming up with all sorts of twists to the normal racing program. Some of these stunts were stupid, but some added genuine interest to the show.
This was one of the better ones.
Popeye Vincent was the first local driver I recall to have cut down a coupe to about half it's height, creating a "bug" for stock car racing. Later most of the field evolved to bugs.
The low Vincent machine was naturally compared to the low-slung sports cars of the day, like the Jag.
Well, seemed Towandian Stan Patten, an engineer at Dupont, had a Jag.
The VFW called upon him to race it against Vincent's stock car in a special match race.
In that race, the stock car behaved as expected but I still remember that Jag bounding through the corners. Seems the Jag's highway suspension just couldn't smooth out the ruts. I swear, seemed like that Jag fender was jumping four feet off the ground.
I don't recall who won, but am pretty sure it was the 180 of Vincent.
Another memory sparked by those ads ... the ticket prices at the VFW, I believe originally $1.10, then hiked to $1.15, and finally $1.25. My old man was beside himself over what he saw as those outrageous price hikes. But then you have to consider that a good job only paid about $100 a week at the time.
The ads stir up other memories too, though the years may have clouded my accuracy: Earl Zimdahl drove the immaculate 68A, Roger Fish drove the sharp red  and gold 76A or 77A with Lucky Cornish, and -- oh yeah -- those Lemans starts.
They were another stunt that enjoyed a brief popularity along with Australian Pursuit Races, train races, etc. Just as at Lemans, drivers lined up across the track from their cars, ran to them and jumped in. Sometimes they had to secure what passed as safety equipment back then, other times crew members were allowed to help, and then they roared off in the several-lap race. It was a screwy as a hot dog race, another pretty silly event, though laughable.

shoestring

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
Wow.  I am stunned at the gracious posts where my faded memories are concerned.   Thank you for the kind remarks.  I'd seriously like to mention that I am not totally decrepit, although some of the younger list members may hold with that thought!  It is just for whatever reason I was incredibly blessed in the manner my parents were involved with local southern tier racing all those years ago.  There are several other RaceNY members, the Welty brothers for example, who also shared such childhoods.  My mother raced against their mother and both mothers were members of the AWRA.  Additionally I can recall AWRA members Polly Patchen, Arlie Bricka, Doris Benjamin, Nettie Ellis, Loretta Leonard, Phyllis Coyle, Jane Norwood, Betty Serfas, Hattie Chapman, Corlene York, Marg French and Grace Benjamin.  There were so many more, but the years have erased them from memory.

My parents were involved with the reopening of the Towanda track, I think in the early 60's, but I am not sure of that date.  My mother can recall when as a small child she attended county fairs there.  A man by the name of Wes Perry kind of got the idea of reopening the track going.  I would have to check with Jackie Soper, but I think he drove Daddy's "B" car for the grand opening.  The track had some glorious years with annual banquets (some pretty wild as I recall).  Mother still has some of her Towanda Powderpuff trophies!  The Towanda track programs were mimeographed in an upstairs bedroom in my parents home.

I can't recall when there wasn't a time my parents weren't racing at Chemung.  Daddy's first team member association was with Wayne Blakeman from Sayre, but I have no idea the year.  I still have photos of the baby blue number 19 coupe.  Wayne also raced at Shangri La long before it was reopened in 1962.  I can still remember playing under the wooden grandstands.

Shangri La's reopening was a huge event.  A Sunday afternoon.  If memory serves me correctly Nolan Swift dropped a coupe body on his 10 pins super modified and proceeded to show the boys how it was done bigtime.  There was a ton of caterwauling in the inspection barn afterwards on that deal.  I remember Daddy wanting to stay and see what happened.  Swift, a superstar in his own right, had also taken the 10 pins to Port Royal with additional sheetmetal to make it "legal."  Very methodically he took several weeks to get the feel of the track.  When he did finally figure it all out it was so over for the locals.  He dominated much of the season.  I have no idea of the year, but I know by then my parents had moved their racing to Port Royal and other central Pennsylvania tracks.

It was a scorchingly hot racing afternoon.  I recall Bryan Osgood telling my mother and me the story of how he was lined up on the front stretch waiting for his heat to roll out.  For some reason I think it was the Shangri La reopener.  A track official tapped him on the shoulder, startling him.  Bryan later remarked his wife Delores was several months with child and had fainted earlier that morning.  Bryan thought perhaps she'd taken ill because of the heat and that was the reason for the official stopping beside his car.  Bryan laughed because all the official wanted to tell him was he was sitting in the wrong spot for his heat line up.  Funny what I've remembered.  Perhaps Bryan's story was from another Shangri La hot afternoon, but I think it was the reopener. 

Jackie Soper came into my life when he drove for Daddy.  Jackie was hot as a pistol could get as a driver.  It is hard to explain to anyone today his superstar status.   Kids used to wait at gas stations just to catch a glimpse of Jackie's car and rig.  Even now nearly 50 years later Jackie still hears from fans remembering him.   He was one of the first drivers to be paid appearance money in the northeast.  There are few today racing at the local level who will ever achieve Jackie's astounding statistical numbers.  In 1958 Jackie had five track titles in two states, held down a weekly job and still managed I think 55 wins.  I could be off a little of the wins number, but not by much.

I am a little uncomfortable writing so much about my personal memories.   I am of a mind it seems a tad conceited on my part.  I truly and honestly had no real part in any of these events and think I'd better end for now and re-evaluate this story telling.

Again.  Thanks to all for their interest.  It was greatly appreciated.

Candy Dolin
Shoestring Motorsports
Seagrove, North Carolina 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:43:32 PM by shoestring »

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »
Binghamton Press ad for the 1962 re-opening of Shangri-la Speedway

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »
Story on the re-opening of Shangri-la Speedway as it appeared in the Binghamton Press on Monday, June 25, 1962...

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »
Shangri-la Speedway held their original grand opening on Sunday, July 28th, 1946.  This photo ran on the front page of the Binghamton Press the next day.  The headline read, "18,000 See Bouley Win Auto Race"