Author Topic: Super Dirt Week 2016 and beyond  (Read 26664 times)

rsk1139

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Super Dirt Week 2016 and beyond
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
If this is really the last year for the Super Dirt Week at the Syracuse Fairgrounds - what track should host future Dirt Weeks?   

canadianfan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Super Dirt Week 2016 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
it is if the new arena and equestrian center are being built on the Fairgrounds as proposed by some area politicians. SDW has to be held somewhere in the North. Some fans are mentioning Charlotte but that's 750 miles from center of our kind of modified racing and let's face it, at the November show there, the mods are the third division! I would likely bet the majority of the current SDW fans are from a 150 mile radius
 There is talk of expanding Rolling Wheels seating wise, but the recent ownership Fiasco there makes one wonder if WRG Dirtcar could regain ownership in time for 2016.  I am not sure when Glenn Donnelly plans to "cut the ribbon" on his new track in Central Square so maybe that is an alternative too. SDW could just end up being a series of races at smaller tracks with a good point fund rather than a big show as is the current model.
Mike Lindsay-Burlington Ontario
so far-Delaware 1, Jukasa 4, Sunset 2, Flamboro 7, Ohsweken 4, Merrittville 4, Ransomville 1, Genesee 1, Volusia Speedway Park 1

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
put real clay on the pavement at Oswego for the week,run the show and the take it of and put it away for the next year.good seating,parking,camping,etc.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
put real clay on the pavement at Oswego for the week,run the show and the take it of and put it away for the next year.good seating,parking,camping,etc.
Lol. Who's going to pay to do that? WRG?

Michael Bonesky

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »
Once the fairgrounds are gone SDW dies with it. You can't replace the prestige or tradition. This is a lesson learned by the ROC after it left Langhorne. The ROC held at Oswego is a shell of it's former self. An event held at a different venue the same weekend promoted as special event might be successful, but it would be a mistake to call it Super Dirt Week. It must become an iconic event on it's own merit. JMO

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »
The only facility with the potentialis Glenn Donnelly's Central New York Raceway Park, if they can pull it off.

Let's be very clear on this, however. According to multiple government sources (and they could of course be canned responses), the PROPOSED ice arena and equestrian center are Joanie Mahoney's idea ONLY, and have not been approved yet. The problem is (and Brian Carter's statements make me nervous) there is no contract in place at this time for 2016, and if there is not a commitment by summer of 2015, the event may be screwed.

oldtimeracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »
they have never had more than a year contract...I still say Adirondack International would be ideal if Syracuse goes by the wayside. the county would love the revenue

Hoosierfan22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 12:03:29 PM »
No Dirt track in the north has enough hotels close enough like Syracuse or the RV setup and room let alone parking to handle the amount of traffic the fairgrounds get that week.  They may move superdirt week somewhere else but it will not be the same.  Not as many people and not the same atmosphere.  Why do they plow the 1 mile dirt track in the winter?

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »
track pre,its a never ending battle even in the winter.lol.

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
sorry,was supposed to say track prep,lol. would be sad to see it go,and yes,that location is perfect as far parking,camping and all.you have to wonder if they even look at the money that comes here every year from dirt week and the nationals.

Willie41

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
Follow the money. In my honest opinion, this has been in the works ever since Glenn Donnelly made the announcement to build his park, possibly even longer than that. & through experience with how the state does things & when they announce their plans, they NEVER make such an announcement until AFTER the plans are well conjured & the pathways for them are cleared.

Hoosierfan22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
Your absolutely right.  Shows where the crooks are.  This plan was set in motion years ago.  It just took them this long to figure out who and how many peoples pockets they had to grease.  Corrupt politics at its finest.  I doubt I will support Donnelly's new track. 

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »
After The ROC was done at Langhorne the race moved to Trenton,Pocono and Flemington before it made it's new home at Oswego.I was lucky growing up in the 50's and 60's and got to go to all of those old tracks.One of the biggest reasons that The ROC has a smaller car counts compared to back in the day it's because the majority of the drivers ran asphalt and dirt and of'course our economy doesn't help us either.
Ron Doebler

rsk1139

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »
Williams Grove Speedway would probably be the best choice. It has enough room for the campers and the track would be big enough for the Super Dirt week races.  The negatives are the track is in sprint car country and they have the National Open in October.

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 06:29:31 AM »
I am not convinced the transformation of the fairgrounds is a done deal. If I'm wrong and it is I don't feel there is a venue or plan around that could replace it. JMO