Author Topic: Security Cert expired?  (Read 4208 times)

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Security Cert expired?
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »
 Just received a warning the security certificate for RaceNY expired...
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Security Cert expired?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
I very recently purchased a new laptop, as my previous one "crashed and burned". As part of the deal, with this new unit, I'm burdened with the less-that-stellar Windows 10 program. I'm finding that on one particular automotive chat site, one that I've frequented for a long time (about 16 years, and 50,000 posts), I now randomly get the error message that it's security certificate has expired. It's annoying, but I haven't had it happen here, at least not yet.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
I've got the same problem--but worse, since Chrome has these not-so-desirable prompts which need to be repeated every time I want to negotiate the site!  I sent a PM to admin to make him aware of the situation!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 06:38:16 AM »
 Using Chrome it began when I was forced to "upgrade" to Windows 10 to make a device compatible with it.  No issue when using Firefox though.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »
I haven't had a certificate warnings. Using Windows 10 and tried on all my browsers (Edge, Chrome , Firefox, Opera). Are you sure it isn't you're anti virus software?

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
I haven't had a certificate warnings. Using Windows 10 and tried on all my browsers (Edge, Chrome , Firefox, Opera). Are you sure it isn't you're anti virus software?

Here's the error message I get from Chrome: 

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.raceny.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites. Privacy policy
BACK TO SAFETYADVANCED

This server could not prove that it is www.raceny.com; its security certificate expired 3 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Wednesday, December 20, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

Proceed to www.raceny.com (unsafe)
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »

It looks like it's back to normal now

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
 The issue remains for me when using Chrome and the security warning is different than the one I get from the anti-virus software I have.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »

Here's the error message I get from Chrome: 

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.raceny.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites. Privacy policy
BACK TO SAFETYADVANCED

This server could not prove that it is www.raceny.com; its security certificate expired 3 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Wednesday, December 20, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

Proceed to www.raceny.com (unsafe)
That's a normal warning for an expired certificate. I've had them before on various sites, including DTD. It's odd that I didn't get any from this site.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »

It looks like it's back to normal now

OOOPS--It's still doing after I closed out the site and logged in again!!!

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
Tried again this morning--no issues...