Author Topic: This is ABSURD!!  (Read 2090 times)

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
This is ABSURD!!
« on: August 25, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
I don't know whether to post this here or in the racing section, but to be safe, I'll do it here. IT'S ABOUT "PC" GONE HAYWIRE...…

It was just published, this morning, in the Rochester, NY 'D&C' newspaper's sports section, that the drug company 'Lilly', was pulling it's logos and sponsorship from driver Connor Daly's Infinity series car, in the Road America race. Why, you ask??

Because 30 YEARS AGO, long before Connor was even born, his father, well known racer Derek Daly, made some "racially insensitive" remarks during a radio interview. WHAT???

Have we become so overly sensitive, that absolutely anything and everything we say, over the course of our entire lives, gets stored away, ready to be dragged up at a moment's notice, to be thrown in our faces? Does this mean that people are no longer allowed to make a mistake, but learn from it? Does this mean that if my grandfather (who died before I was born, by the way), 100 years ago, called somebody a "lazy, no good, thief", that A) someone TODAY can find it offensive; and B) worse yet, use it against ME?? If so, I think we, as a society, are in BIG trouble!!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
Re: This is ABSURD!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
There's so much more to this....this all came about because a Indianapolis Colt's broadcast announcer falsely recounted that story about Derek Daly a few weeks ago, and the Colts FIRED HIM for recounting it. And, the story wasn't even said directly to him....

Then, Derek Daly responded, accepted responsibility with an explanation and corrected the story. BOOM, he loses his TV job....for a remark made 35 years ago.

Then Lilly pulls his kid's sponsorship only because his father stepped up and took responsibility for HIS mistake. STUPID.

I agree this is as dumb as it could possibly be, in fact with a whole bunch of stupidity thrown in for extra weight. I suspect there's some revenge by someone in Indianapolis that has made this an issue that it didn't have to be. I find myself siding with Robin Miller on this...

Quote from: Robin Miller
I hope Daly sues Channel 8 and Lilly’s stock takes a hit because this is the insanity of our new pastime: political correctness at all costs with no reasoning.

https://racer.com/2018/08/27/miller-dalys-caught-in-a-scandal-built-from-b-s/

Here's the real story...with links

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70252-conor-daly-loses-lilly-diabetes-sponsorship-over-fathers-35-year-old-slur

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/tim-swarens/2018/08/27/eli-lilly-makes-absurd-decision-conor-daly-tim-swarens-writes/1109735002/

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »
I must be in deep trouble, then.....my father was a highly decorated, WWII combat veteran, and I have a feeling that he used the other "n-word" a few times, during that period of time....before I was born, of course.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
Another thing I'm concerned about:  the very cornerstone of our judicial system (innocent until PROVEN guilty) has been rendered moot.  Apparently, statute of limitations no longer applies. Now ALLEGATIONS of wrongdoing that might (or might not) have occurred (especially those in the long-forgotten past)are now considered truth and fair game!  The current hearings involving a Supreme Court justice confirmation has accusations of actions which (supposedly) occurred 36 years ago!  I don't know about anyone else, but I know my actions and thought process has changed many times in 36 years!  Just a hint of impropriety prompts suspicion and now social media opinions are considered to be factual--It's the modern-day equivalent of the worn out phrase "It's in the newspaper, so it must be true"...Update the wording and the new mantra is:  It's on the internet, so it must be true.  At some point, this madness has to stop!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."