Author Topic: Grandstands on the NYS Fairgrounds  (Read 12130 times)

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
Grandstands on the NYS Fairgrounds
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »
So every year we hear that it is the last for Super DIRT Week, and events held around that time in Syracuse (IE: Czak and the microd club). This year is indeed the last contracted year for this event at the Fairgrounds. Joanie Mahoney and her cronies have fast-tracked a new amphitheater being built just down the road from the Fairgrounds, with the idea being to move the Fair concerts there, and tear down the grandstands in favor of an equestrian ring and ice rink for year-round use. Now, I can appeciate economic instability and the need for expensive maintenance on the facility as a whole (God forbid they actually clean the bathroom/showers), but the unnecessary use of millions of dollars when there is plenty of room on the current grounds is incomprehensible to me. Not to mention the destruction of the grandstands and race track at the grounds wipes away YEARS of racing history and not only Super DIRT Week.

So I am posting this here in an effort to make voices heard. You may not be a fan of dirt racing, or even racing at the Mile (or me, for that matter), but you ARE a fan of racing, and it is time that the layman's voice was heard. This country was created BY the people FOR the people and so far, the people are gtting the shaft. Between trying to take away my guns, and my liberty, they are doing a fair job of trying to take away my pursuit of happiness, because racing makes me happy. I am asking each of you to at the minimum sign the petition to save the grandstands, and at the maximum, send e-mails to both Mahoney's office and our Governor.

I have been told it is an effort in futility, that this is inevitable. But I am not one to go down without a fight. Your help is needed, and welcomed with many thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Super-Dirt-Week-at-the-NYS-Fairgrounds/1413653378937275

http://www.governor.ny.gov/contact

https://www.change.org/p/joanie-mahoney-keep-the-grandstands-and-the-track-at-the-nys-fairgrounds-intact-for-the-historic-super-dirt-week-to-remain-the-empire-state-s-largest-racing-event?recruiter=244935231&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

http://www.ongov.net/executive/contact.html

T20won

• Veteran
  • TEAM 20 RUSH Late Model
    • View Profile
Re: Grandstands on the NYS Fairgrounds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Its unfortunate that this is even being considered. I for one have attended several events at this Historic facility. I encourage all fans & drivers to voice their concerns on the petition. I for one will not support the fair if the racetrack is removed.
Phil Knapp

deacon3j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
If the grandstands go, won't that also mean the end of horse racing at the track also? Unless that's already been done too! The last time I went to the fair on Labor Day to see the state championship races, you can imagine my surprise when I found out they were no longer being held. The racing was the main reason I went to the fair! If they do away with all racing at the fairgrounds, there won't be any reason to go to Syracuse at all for me!
Deacon

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
You are one of many ho have stated this grass roots campaign is an effort in futility, UM. But I believe that you have no right to complain if you do nothing to change the situation you disagree with, just as you have no right to complain about the government if you don't vote.

It is indeed a sad day when this is even a consideration. I understand that we are the minority - the hard working class - but I can't sit idle and let them walk all over this. The amphitheater is already being built. There's no stopping that. What we can stop is the destruction of history. So I ask that, as futile as it sounds, PLEASE support the ptition started by Daylon Barr, use the e-mail addresses above, and let your voice be heard.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »
Sunny..do not fret. I have already reacted to the petition as  I got a link to it from one of my RaceNY associates.

My post was in a way meant to illicit an somewhat angry  response (not from you necessarily) but I work in State

government and I've seen what this A****ole of a governor can do up close. What Andy wants...Andy gets.

Joanie baby ( an R in better standing with the gov than the Dem mayor of the Cuse') doesn't give a rats rear about

racing. These plans to change the face and scope  of the Fair and  have been in the works for awhile.  The gov is directing 50 Mil

that way (for starters) so the die is cast.  If you want to know I F'ing hate it myself because there is no reliable political

opposition to Andy's ambitions.   Just keepin' it real.

( if i'm wrong I'll come on here and flog myself.)   :-[

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
I appeciate the honesty. And, frankly, I think nothing short of an impeachment will change anything.

But I am a registered voter. And so are my dirt track race loving friends. So as his constituant, "Andy" better remember that. No angry retorts, no politics. Straight up plain and simple. He WILL get voted out, and that includes the people from NYC who come to th Fair and Dirt Week, and other events at the grounds.

Orange18

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »
How did it work out for New York's Gun Owners ? 2nd Term and more to come. Upstate ,Guns, Racing and our way of life mean nothing to him. It is all about the Big City

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:04:49 AM »
Anybody know what developer is pushing for the constuction of the amphitheatre on the lake side. I always say follow the money trail to get the answers to nearly all of your political favors. I believe someone has promised something big when Andy Pandy decides to make his run for the Whitehouse.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 08:08:10 AM »
The amphitheater is already under construction, much to the urprise of many Syracuse-area residents. Most of them thought it was still a proposal. The person PUSHING for the construction is Joanie Mahoney, and she has the Governor wrapped around her pinky, from what UM says.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »
Joanie during the election run up was on the tube and radio here in CNY promoting and singing the praises of the GOV.

In that sense he 'owes' her. Political payoffs are not a new thing and NYS thrives on them.

This racing forum isn't the place to go on and on about it  but I would encourage my fellow race fans to this.

You may hate politics but it DOES effect you, your family and your interest (like local racing).

WE singly and collectively need to educate ourselves to what is going on so to at least have

some knowledge if we decide we want to do something about it. Luckily we still live in a country where that is possible

IF we get involved.

( speech over...sorry)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
It sucks that this is happening, but as someone else has already stated, the racing community is a small minority. I just wanted to point out that we will never (hopefully) lose the history...just the future.
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »
Joanie during the election run up was on the tube and radio here in CNY promoting and singing the praises of the GOV.

In that sense he 'owes' her. Political payoffs are not a new thing and NYS thrives on them.

This racing forum isn't the place to go on and on about it  but I would encourage my fellow race fans to this.

You may hate politics but it DOES effect you, your family and your interest (like local racing).

WE singly and collectively need to educate ourselves to what is going on so to at least have

some knowledge if we decide we want to do something about it. Luckily we still live in a country where that is possible

IF we get involved.

( speech over...sorry)

Where's the freaking "Attaboy" button?!?!?!?!

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
How did it work out for New York's Gun Owners ? 2nd Term and more to come. Upstate, Guns, Racing, and our way of life mean nothing to him. It is all about the Big City

Bingo!!

Remember how Kirsten Gillibrand "waffled" after the election.....She initially portrayed herself as a "rural county, pro-gunner", and once she got elected, so much for THAT train of thought!!

Jaws

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Myracenews
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
I'm not pro gun by any stretch of the imagination but the Governor chased thousands of good paying jobs in Illion because they weren't the right kind of jobs. I guess race cars aren't the right kind of horsepower.  And why is this about the big city that sends way more $$ to Albany than it gets back?
I can't this weekend, I will be at the race track! (Repeat every 7 days March-November)