Author Topic: Where are They Now  (Read 269204 times)

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where are They Now
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
   Though tragically I know the fate of this driver, but anyone have any history on a driver named Buddy Drewes. I remember him when I was very young and I believe he tragically lost his life behind the wheel. I believe he was a team mate of Cam Gagliardi. Where did wreck happen?
LaVerne "Brudy" Drewes' Modified wrecked in the first turn at Oswego Speedway.  He was partially thrown from the car, and several weeks (?) later died as a result of those injuries or complications thereof.  He may have been teammates with Cam - both cars had similar paint schemes, with Cam's car having a #1 in a white circle and Brudy's a #2.

Don't know a lot more than that.

justmark

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • WNYRaceZone - Western New York Racing News
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2010, 10:52:27 PM »
LaVern "Bruddy" Drewes passed away less than a month after that October 1969 Oswego Modified accident at age 28. He was a Lancaster Speedway competitor and was survived by a wife and a daughter.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:41:46 PM by justmark »
Captain History
FOAR SCORE Club Historian

"Life's too short, man"

Be kinder than necessary as everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle: Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson

modcrew18

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »
   Thanks for the info. How aweful. I remember seeing a photo in the gater of the car, but my father wouldn't tell me what happened, a little too much reality for a 7 year old. I remember discussing it a few years later when we started going to ransomville and passed a closed up garage at the corner of Rt 93 and 425 with the Drewes name on it. If i recall it said Drewes brothers on it.

rannyville_concrete_eater

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
   Thanks for the info. How aweful. I remember seeing a photo in the gater of the car, but my father wouldn't tell me what happened, a little too much reality for a 7 year old. I remember discussing it a few years later when we started going to ransomville and passed a closed up garage at the corner of Rt 93 and 425 with the Drewes name on it. If i recall it said Drewes brothers on it.

You are correct regarding the garage, to the best of my knowledge it is still owed by the Drewes family.

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2010, 02:53:15 AM »
Back on page 1 of this thread, someone asked about JJ Michaels. This is one of the saddest racing stories I know.

JJ had a heart attack in the year 2005 and had stents installed. His recovery was slow, but he returned to work still feeling under the weather. After a battery of tests,  he was scheduled for stent replacement and possible bypass surgery on November 10th. It was found that his heart was too weak to undergo the surgery and was placed on the transplant waiting list. JJ died 4 days later at the age of 43.
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
Back on page 1 of this thread, someone asked about JJ Michaels. This is one of the saddest racing stories I know.

JJ had a heart attack in the year 2005 and had stents installed. His recovery was slow, but he returned to work still feeling under the weather. After a battery of tests,  he was scheduled for stent replacement and possible bypass surgery on November 10th. It was found that his heart was too weak to undergo the surgery and was placed on the transplant waiting list. JJ died 4 days later at the age of 43.

That IS really sad. 43 is way too young to die.....

raceguy

• Champion
  • Duane ~ a.k.a. "The Motorin' Mexican"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
I agree....That is a sad deal.

Tigerpaw333

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
Jay Mudra, Jeff Merritt, Greg Orr, Jim Flanigan, Rob Nye, Richie Littfield, Joey Manko, I believe lee Sherwood the number 95 mod at Lancaster
Dirt: Ransomville Speedway, Genesse Speedway Limerock
Asphalt: Lancaster  Hillside

Tigerpaw333

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »
Ronnie Martin

Tigerpaw333

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2010, 05:27:29 PM »
Frank Booker,Eddie Murray

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:24 AM »
How about Red Graff, Buzzie Barton and Ed Rafferty. Are any of these old Five Mile Point staples still around?

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »
Crazy Eddie is still around.I talked to himt at old timers night at 5 Mile Point this summer.He lives in Florida during the winter.
Ron Doebler

modcrew18

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »
  One for the super modified crowd. Wondering what ever became of builder Bill Hite. He built some of the most amazing supers ever, my favorite was Fred Graves in the 4WD #39 car.

#99 Vintage Racer

• Rookie
  • For the love of short track racing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of Mr. Art Clark this summer.  He had the oil cooler I've been looking for.   Wow, does he have some history!   His living room is a Museum.  I have a picture of Art in his living room, but it is very dark.    I can try and work with it to post later.   What a great guy.   At 74 years young, he can rattel off the past like it was yesterday.      Rip
~Racin Rip~

#99 Vintage Racer

• Rookie
  • For the love of short track racing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
Here is Art with his restored Bug.
~Racin Rip~