Author Topic: Super Dirt Week  (Read 12703 times)

aksel

• View Profile
Re: Super Dirt Week
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
That 3 minute video clip will pay off for years to come. Great marketing piece.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »
Been a long time since I've seen a finish like that at the Palace. Wow  I say leave the dirt on.  ;D
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
The clay comes off today (or starts to).

I am not a fan of the way the track was Sunday. Guys rolling half throttle trying to stay in the one lane on the bottom. And if Sheppard hadn't found the one teeny tiny strip of brown left at the wall on the backstretch when he squeezed past Britten on the outside (same move Larry tried at Utica that didn't work out so well), Batman would have won.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »
Guys rolling half throttle trying to stay in the one lane on the bottom. :o :o

This wasn't an ROC asphalt race was it LOL?  Seems like old mother Palace seeped thru all that dirt you put down.

Looked pretty black from the YT video..why bother? Where you had a cushion we have marbles.

The  place does seem to favor guys named Matt apparently.  Dirts coming off though?  Sorry to hear that.  ;)

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »
Why? So you can bellyache that they didn't do a proper job of clay removal?

We had more passing in one rubbered down track than you will ever see on asphalt there, until a repave. Maybe you guys should look into some PJ1 to try and beat Money Matt.

Oh, wait. That guy races on dirt.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 08:36:46 AM »
Sunny, time to unbunch your panties. bellyaching? LOL hardly.  I personally hate that place. It could stay dirt for all I care.

My only comment was how black the surface looked on the video. I wasn't there but was told by others who were it was largely a freight train race until the end. And..it was a great ending I acknowledge that.  Glad it went  well for all there.   chill out girlie.  8)

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
It was a great race. The qualifying races were awesome, too. But any person with any knowledge of dirt racing will know it was going to be one lane, freight train until it rubbered up because it was in the day, in the SUN (who would have believed that in October in Oswego).

I think the potential of Oswego is amazing, but SOMEONE better get their heads out of their respective a$$es and do some improvements. More showers (even if they brought in the fancy shower trailers), more porta johns, more parking (or work a deal with local businesses to utilize their parking lots and a better shuttle system), and the biggest issue - more camping.

I don't think you would hate Oswego with a repave, UM. No one would.

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
I think Gomerpyle has a great idea..... Shangli!  make the changes (doesn't look like Oswego is going to change) and hold a race there. When something doesn't work... why keep trying the same thing....!

ask0329

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »
Ive long been in love with the idea of having SDW at Adirondack but I don't think they have the seating.

The problem with Adirondack and Shang as the SDW site is the location. Just not logical for teams to get to the satalite races. Drive time on the road would increase by hours. (plural)

I think all in all in the end, it has to be a CNY thing as its central to everywhere. Oswego was really good this year and improved over last year. Other than that, I think allot of us have stop holding our breathes for CNYRP.

leftyturner

• Veteran
  • Instruction manuals are just another man's opinion
    • View Profile
    • Check ur out on facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
If they moved it to Shang2, Afton 5MP would be satellite races!!  :P

ask0329

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
This is bound to upset folks but Afton and 5MP are not even half the facilities that Utica Rome, Brewerton, Weedsport and Fulton are. Not even close. I haven't been to Afton in many years but as for 5MP, Never had a good experience there as a driver or a fan. Place should of been bulldozed and turned into a housing developement 10 years ago.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
I have always thought that Utica could handle an event the size of Dirt Week. Plenty of pit space, plenty of camping (if they got rid of the motocross track they just put in). Plenty of parking because they could use the lots at Vernon Downs. Close to Central New York, and already had a satellite show. It would need more grandstands, and putting them up off 3 and 4 may help with visibility issues as well.

Weedsport - the track itself is too small. The facility would be AMAZING for campers. I bet a lot of people didn;t know that the "back 40" across the railroad tracks has already been cleared and some water/electric sites are available out there.

Brewerton utilized CNYRP for parking. That's about all that site is good for right now.

Fulton - if you went to the Outlaw, you would see why Fulton would never work for Dirt Week. Some MAJOR improvements to the restrooms in the pit area would need to happen first.

ask0329

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »
Sunny, I was only speaking from the satellite shows perspective. I would never recommend those 4 tracks to hold dirt week. They are the best of the best when it comes to the satellite shows. From a facility standpoint.

I really like what they've done with Oswego. The whole concept of the cold pits being open to the fans, I believe is just fantastic. Less someone stealing 2K out of Alans trailer.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
Andy, the "cold pit" area is awesome, until you're trying to work on your car.

Fans are what make this sport what it is, for sure, but sometimes it's hard to maneuver around them.

Unless you're the family who decided to take "Junior's" picture next to T-Mac's car.... Only to have the man himself photo bomb it. The look on the kid's face was worth the pit pass, lemme tell ya.

I mentioned those facilities because, at one point, I submitted a suggestion to Charlotte about an option for Super Dirt Week when it became evident that CNYRP was in the crapper and Oswego was iffy. I truly believe that, with minimal work, Utica would be a viable option.

I believe that Oswego is going to come into it's own. There are bugs, for sure, but nothing that didn't happen at the Mile. With continued success there, I see them putting in more developed camping areas (water and electric), more developed roadways, upgrading the restroom facilities, etc.