Author Topic: Sean Lias  (Read 7368 times)

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Sean Lias
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:49:46 PM »
I hesitated to post this until confirmed, but this morning it was on the funeral home site.

Sean Lias, 49, of Westfield, Pa. passed away Saturday, the apparent victem of an ATV/UTV accident. Details are still unofficial at this time, as the investigation is still apparently ongoing. Funeral arrangements/calling hours are incomplete at Olney Funeral home in Ulysses, Pa.

Sean began his stock car career at Woodhull Raceway in the Amateur division and progressed up thru Super Stock, eventually settling into the IMCA Modifieds. He was well known for classy looking, and well maintained racecars and he backed up the look with numerous feature wins and track championships throughout the northeast. He and his father were meticulous at car prep,  and Sean combined talent, focus, and controlled aggression that made him a pleasure to watch anywhere he happened to be racing.

Our heartfelt sympathies go out to his family and friends, and to his extended racing family throughout New York and Pa.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:24:06 PM by Admin »

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Sean Lias
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
My appologies for the post heading, auto correct apparently "fixed" it and I didn' notice until after I posted.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
I'm seen also in also was afraid to post any thing he was a true racer seen him every where so sorry to his family and friends.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:17:21 PM by raceannouncer »

leftyturner

• Veteran
  • Instruction manuals are just another man's opinion
    • View Profile
    • Check ur out on facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:15:50 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:16:11 PM by raceannouncer »

RTC56

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »
Watched him win many features at Woodhull in the IMCA class. Rest in peace Sean.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:16:59 PM by raceannouncer »

PEEWEE

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
WHEN YOU SPEAK OF A TRUE RACER HE WAS RIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE LIST WITH THE "WILDCHILD"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP "MR.IMCA"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:16:29 PM by raceannouncer »

dirtfan07

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
I've been in a daze since I heard this yesterday. For a guy I never actually met, he had a huge influence on me. I always admired how clean and simple his cars were. It was apparent by how fast they were that a lot of time and thought went into every single detail. He built a lot of his own stuff with what appeared to be very little outside help. His driving was masterful as evidenced by a win total that no one in the northeast region will probably ever surpass.

Mike Stoddard said it best; Sean was the one that the rest of us tried to be like. He set the bar awefully high but we all became better racers trying to follow his example. I will never forget the one and only time I passed him under green flag conditions. It was at Thunder Mountain at a end of season special for the top 5 in points from all the local tracks. I qualified poorly and had to start in the rear. Since the race was held in the daylight, the track went dry-slick immediately. That played to my setup (aka a very low HP motor) and I was passing cars just putting around on the bottom. When I got to Sean, I almost spun out cause I was in such awe that I was racing with him. In the end, I got close to the front before wrecking. My crew was all bummed out but I was all smiles. I had ruined a good finish and tore the car all up but.....I PASSED SEAN LIAS!! 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:19:39 PM by raceannouncer »
Simpson Racing.... We put the F-U in fun

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »
I believe I corrected all "spell-check" entries--If I missed one, please notify me at once!!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leftyturner

• Veteran
  • Instruction manuals are just another man's opinion
    • View Profile
    • Check ur out on facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:29:13 PM »
Thank you very much Paz!

JC124

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »
What do you say about Sean, When you think of ( North East IMCA) He was absolutely the best hands down.  Before the 4 links, high dollar shocks as Steve said everyone else compared themselves to Sean and on the few occasions you beat him you knew you accomplished something.  The man could drive and was a master fabricator and would help anyone who asked. He helped me on more then one occasion.
I am proud to say I got to race with him.
God speed my friend.

Joe Cole

24KC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:09 PM »
Sean was a great racer.  He was the goal, you rated yourself based on how close you got to Sean. It was a good nite if you ran second to him.  One of the most memorable races I ran was with Sean @ Thunder Mountain. We ran wheel to wheel, I held him off for 19 laps, flipped the bird cage he got by me I finished second to him. That was a good nite

mikeman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:51 AM »
Simple and to the point, Sean was a hell of a racecar driver especially in the IMCA Modified. Thanks for the memories! R.I.P.

rcr22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »
RIP Sean , I always judged my racing night in IMCA , to how close i finished to Sean. He was a great racer and helpful to all. God be with your family in these sad times.
Rob Chaddock  22c IMCA
IMCA is the way !!!

BlackRockPR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
Sean Lias Remembered, Casey Pavlick & Jason Knowles On Turn 5 Live At 7:30PM Eastern

The past few days have been particularly difficult for race fans across the country as well as locally in Upstate New York.  Not only did the racing world lose Verizon INDYCar Series driver Justin Wilson, the Northeast IMCA Modified world lost veteran racer and 250+ feature winner Sean Lias due to a non-racing related accident.  Robert Wilcox will join Steven and Clint at 7:45PM to remember a fallen friend and dominant IMCA Modified racer.

Casey Pavlick made it two in a row at Black Rock Speedway, and in doing so, clinched the 2015 track championship.  He will call in on the PMN hotline to talk about how he wheeled the No. 18p to his second straight Crate Sportsman title.

Jason Knowles is best known as being a far traveling Crate Late Model competitor in 2015, and after this past weekend now can be known as a Crate Late Model winner.  ’Racin’ Jason’ will make a drive by to Turn 5 Live to talk about the big win North of the Border at Humberstone Speedway.

Don’t miss Turn 5 Live on the Performance Motorsports Network at 7:30PM Eastern.

————————

Fans can listen to the show live tonight beginning at 7:30PM Eastern standard time in one of the following ways:

Download the TuneIn App or the Aha Radio App from your phone’s App store (both are free and Performance Motorsports Network is on both apps)!
Visit Performance Motorsports Network’s website at www.PerformanceMotorsportsNetwork.com and hit the “listen live” button in the upper right!
Visit www.RaceChaserOnline.com’s Live Radio page and hit the “listen live” link!
You can also chat with the hosts or leave questions for our guests on Twitter during the show @Turn5Podcast

The show will also be rebroadcast on the Performance Motorsports Network on Thursday from 8-10 a.m. Eastern and Sunday from 7-9 a.m. Eastern time and uploaded on-demand to the Turn 5 Racing Podcast YouTube Channel for fans who are not able to listen live.

————————

Turn 5 Live is a New York-based weekly dirt-track affiliate of RaceChaser Online and Speed77 Radio, airing on Tuesday nights at 7:30 PM Eastern on the Performance Motorsports Network.
Black Rock Speedway
"Racing Every Friday Night at 7:00PM"
Home of the Modifieds, Sportsman, Street Stocks, IMCA Mods, 4 Cylinders and Black Rock Bandtis

www.blackrockspeedway.com
www.facebook.com/blackrockspeedway
Twitter: @BlackRockSpeed

tire kicker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
He was a fierce competitor and well respected everywhere he went.  My favorite memory is the night he was on the bad end of a call at woodhull and he entered the flag stand.  The crowd was so worked up that they proceeded to tear the front stretch fence down. That was probably 25 years ago and I was a kid but I remember it like yesterday and last time I saw Sean we talk about it and had quite a good laugh.