Author Topic: NYS Fair slaps Super Dirt Week in the face !  (Read 4613 times)

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
NYS Fair slaps Super Dirt Week in the face !
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
I went to the fair and could not believe they had a HBR #6 Big Block Dirt mod on display with schedule cards for Super Dirt Week on the engine hood.The car was in the new Expo building which I believe sits very close to the old track.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: NYS Fair slaps Super Dirt Week in the face !
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »
Holy cow!  What a smack down.  Hopefully the Fair can stay open. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:21:29 AM »
I personally have a hard time wondering why anyone connected to racing supports the fairgrounds in any way. Some I believe will just sell out to promote themselves,  while others just keep taking it in their butt.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »
Where was all this indignation when the Madsen Motorsports #20 sat in Albany on display in support of auto racing history in New York State?

Governor Andrew Cuomo was whisked away from his opening day attendance because of the amount of boo's he received.

New York State Police arrested a parole violator employed by one of the ride companies used by the Fair. That's where i would like my kids to hang out.

The asphalt camping area melts when the sun is beating down on it, causing campers to sink and the sewers to back up, which creates a true and genuine "sh!t show" there.

You wanna do something about it - VOTE! Not going to the Fair or anything on the Fairgrounds isn't a big enough eff you, IMO.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 07:53:49 AM »
You wanna do something about it - VOTE! Not going to the Fair or anything on the Fairgrounds isn't a big enough eff you, IMO.

BINGO!!!

It's quite obvious, as if it already wasn't in the past, that the liberals simply don't give a hoot about ANY kind of motorsports, but will bend over backwards for the "stick and ball" crowd. It's time they understood that motorsports enthusiasts are taxpayers, too.

And for that matter, many of us are "sportsmen", too (a little pun intended), so they can take the SAFE act, and do "you know what" with it....

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
The last time I was at the state fair it was a Monday walked around the fair then went to the labor day race I think Jack Johnson won and I remember Charlie Rudolph hitting the wall in turn 1 hard alot of guys just smoking the right rears out of 4 what a blast. Not 100% sure of the winner.

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
You can view as a slap in the face.

I agree that there should be some latent bitterness after what happened.

That doesn't mean it isn't good business to have a display car there.  There are over 1million attendees annually.  I am sure that many have never seen a Dirt Mod and could be intrigued enough to check out a race. 

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
I agree. Have a car on display and free admission coupons to a local race track. People LOVE free shizzle. That's why they go to Chevy Court. Keep running footage of the 100 plus years of racing history that was wiped out.

Then come to the International Motor Racing Research Center right here in Watkins Glen, NY, and experience auto racing as it should be. An entrepreneur should buy land near WGI and build a 3/4 mile dirt track to hold events at like Eldora does. All the amenities they could ever want or need and camping out the wazoo. Not to mention two dirt tracks within an hour of the facility that could hold satellite shows. Just my opinion.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 08:20:00 AM »
I agree. Have a car on display and free admission coupons to a local race track. People LOVE free shizzle. That's why they go to Chevy Court. Keep running footage of the 100 plus years of racing history that was wiped out.

Then come to the International Motor Racing Research Center right here in Watkins Glen, NY, and experience auto racing as it should be. An entrepreneur should buy land near WGI and build a 3/4 mile dirt track to hold events at like Eldora does. All the amenities they could ever want or need and camping out the wazoo. Not to mention two dirt tracks within an hour of the facility that could hold satellite shows. Just my opinion.

Good idea! Pardon my ignorance, but didn't Glen Donnelly have some sort of motorsports venue planned/partially constructed "just down the road" from the State Fairgrounds?  If so, whatever happened to it?

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »
Every once in a while someone asks this.

I believe Glenn has PLANNED a motorsports facility to rival WGI for years. The land he has in mind borders the Brewerton Speedway.  Right now it makes an excellent overflow parking/camping area there.

This Central New York Raceway Park pipe dream has no funding. (I know Carl Myers and Sweetener's Plus pulled out long ago). The grant money that New York State promised would only be released when receipts for completed work were submitted. At some point last year, the people who were involved were removed from their government positions. My feeling is - wish in one hand and poop in the other. Which one gets full faster?

I could see the local Schuyler County government being on board with the addition of a dirt track to the property at WGI, especially to bring in more revenue. Steuben and Chemung counties would also reap the reward. Some DIRTcar people don't see the World Racing Group jumping "in bed" with NASCAR, as it were, but honestly, they do it at Charlotte so why not? WGI is in Central New York, it has a ton of motorsports history, and it can accommodate the number of fans who want to attend Dirt Week. It would also make it 'Super' again, in my opinion.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
To add insult to injury the roof on the new expo center remarkably resembles to old roof on the grandstand only on the opposite side of the track. It's roughly on the back stretch.  That said the new building is nice and BIG. Perfect I was thinking when I was viewing the race cars on display there, it would be ideal for some indoor midget racing this winter. A track larger than a hockey rink could fit in there easily. You dirt stalwarts will stay away but it would bring SOME kind of racing back to the Fair. Stay away changes neither the history or the future there but do as your hearts desire.

Sunny really?  " New York State Police arrested a parole violator employed by one of the ride companies used by the Fair. That's where i would like my kids to hang out. "

Spare me. You think the ride operators didn't employ a shady character or two in the days before the grandstand/ oval demise?  Trying to link one with the other is wormy I think. 
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 10:26:02 PM »
Went to training in one of the barns roof leaks everywhere.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »
To add insult to injury the roof on the new expo center remarkably resembles to old roof on the grandstand only on the opposite side of the track. It's roughly on the back stretch.  That said the new building is nice and BIG. Perfect I was thinking when I was viewing the race cars on display there, it would be ideal for some indoor midget racing this winter. A track larger than a hockey rink could fit in there easily. You dirt stalwarts will stay away but it would bring SOME kind of racing back to the Fair. Stay away changes neither the history or the future there but do as your hearts desire.

Sunny really?  " New York State Police arrested a parole violator employed by one of the ride companies used by the Fair. That's where i would like my kids to hang out. "

Spare me. You think the ride operators didn't employ a shady character or two in the days before the grandstand/ oval demise?  Trying to link one with the other is wormy I think.

"Wormy" though you might think, my point was proven by the scumbags who attended a free rap concert in Chevy Court last night and destroyed it. Multiple fights, arrests, and officers using tasers (which could all be viewed by the miracle of social media).

I don't really care whether you agree with my opinion or not. My PERSONAL opinion is that the Fair committee and the government of New York State screwed voting motorsports fans for not much change. People complaining there was no parking or delayed shuttle services to fights to stories of arrests.... Not something I choose to be a part of. :shrug:

As far as indoor racing goes in their 'expo' center, because it's on the Fairgrounds, I wouldn't go. :shrug: Not because it's indoor racing.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/1163341240/posts/10216812604965121/

Here's a perfect example of the activities at the Fair.

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 06:24:34 PM »
Maybe wormy is the wrong word, but I still fail to see what the behavior of people attending the fair or people working at the fair has to do with Super Dirt Week getting shafted.

If you say that it's because people behaved at SDW, that really is (in my opinion) not relevant.  SDW wasn't pulled because of hooligans attending SDW.