Author Topic: LaVern Johnson  (Read 2439 times)

Joe11

• Rookie
    • View Profile
LaVern Johnson
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »
Well, I don’t know where to start so I’m just gonna start.  My buddy LaVern Johnson has passed away after a valiant battle with pancreatic cancer.  Many of you knew LaVern, from his days racing at Dunn Hill and the Old Shangri La, to now, with his son Paul at Shang II and Chemung.  He’d been diagnosed early this year and only a few people knew, and we were sworn to secrecy.  I’ve been searching for days for the proper wording of this but still don’t have the words to describe him.   Passionate I guess is the word I’ll use.  Passionate about EVERYTHING, racing, his family, politics, the carpenters union, hunting, I guess just about everything he came in contact with.  The neat part about someone this passionate, he was easy to derail!  Just yesterday Junior Falk and I were talking about LaVern and he told a story where LaVern was madder than hell about a call Jr. had made and he’s all red-faced and hollering and Jr. says to him “How about that Obama” and off he’d go in another direction!  Wayne Lent and I often kidded each other about taking a call from LaVern…..  ya didn’t dare unless you had an hour to spare!  About every week or two he’d call and we’d discuss everything under the sun.   My thoughts and prayers are now with his wife Pat and their three kids.  In typical LaVern fashion, there are no calling hours or funeral service.  RIP
"It's better to be a 'has-been' than a 'never-was'.....  not that I am EITHER!!

raceguy

• Champion
  • Duane ~ a.k.a. "The Motorin' Mexican"....
    • View Profile
Re: LaVern Johnson
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »
He definitely was a neat guy and always friendly. RIP

My condolences and sympathies are with his family.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
Sounds like a great guy.  RIP.  Pancreatic cancer is no good.   Very sorry for your loss. You are a great friend to post like that.  Obvious that you were were close.  Hang in there.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

CheckeredPast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
I met LaVern in the late 80s while he was working construction where I worked. He wanted to know if he could come to the races with me to check it out.  Well he was hooked and started at Dunn Hill.  He and a friend sheet rocked my house when I built it.  Went to pay them and they said I couldn't afford their regular rate, so no charge.  He came and poured concrete for my garage floor when i built that.  One day he comes to me and says you've done well up at Shangra la how about building me a car for the strictly stock class, I said no problem.  He ran the car a year or two and he bought a Sports Mod and I bought his strictly stock. It didn't matter if we talked every week or not for 6 weeks the conversation always picked up right where it ended before.   He was strong willed, opinionated, had his beliefs and stood for what he believed.  The last few years he worked he was promoted to Northeast Regional Coordinator of the Carpenters and Joiners Union of Pennsylvania. He always said he worked for the members and the men’s well being was LaVern’s first concern.  I will miss him. RIP pal.

Wayne Lent

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »
I got to meet Lavern and his son Paul at Chemung...some of the truly nice guys in racing...RIP Lavern...my condolences to his family.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain