Author Topic: Oswego is getting dirty!  (Read 5624 times)

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
Oswego is getting dirty!
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:11:22 AM »

Photos courtesy of Mike Johnson. The clay is going down in layers, and the weather seems to be cooperating this week, with temps in the low to mid 70's. And yes, they do plan to try for a PRIVATE practice session (which means the Gypsum cars of Larry Wight, Pat Ward, and Tim Sears). So far no rumbles of dissension with the way the clay is going down, so lets keep our fingers crossed!

ask0329

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Oswego is getting dirty!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »
Ive also heard that Kingsley is taking care of the track this year from putting the clay down right on through the weekend. Whereas last year he started doing it and DIRT canned him after a day or two. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But if true and he is there through the weekend, look for it to be a great track.

On a side note, went to the SDS race at Airborne this year and what a fantastic job they did putting that clay down. No ruts, stayed tacky most the race and strangely no dust. Was wondering if they had any problems earlier on in the season with the clay?
Lets make Raceny great again.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
To my knowledge, it is Eric and the Fink's. Harvey was there "supervising" on the first day. As long as they leave him alone, it should be okay. Last year they fought from day one (per the grapevine) about the wood chips. Then they brought in Gary Risch and he couldn't make it better, so he was gone, too.

The place is sold out for camping, which was reduced this year to make more handicap parking. North Bay Camping Resort has space and are extending their season to accommodate SDW. I HEARD that golf carts, 4-wheelers, and personal vehicles will not be allowed in the cold pit area like last year, and merchandise should be available in the pits without having to trek all the way over to the main gate. Hauler parking may be a little different this year, too.

harris9cat

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
Sunny your know$ of a day pit pass

Thank you for supporting RaceNewYork!

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »
A week long pass is $180, Tony, with infield access. You can find more info at:

www.superdirtweekonline.com

:edited for matt-86's pleasure:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:12:37 PM by Sunny »

matt_s86

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »
Keep in mind you do not need a pit pass to enter the cold pit area.  A pit pass is only required for access to the infield.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/northbay.campground

For anyone looking for camping (there is none, and no hotels close to Oswego), this place has availability for Dirt Week.

Michael Bonesky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me much if the dirt stayed down at Oswego.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »

It has already been stated that Oswego would NOT be staying dirt. But it looks pretty good right now, huh?

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »
Let me just mention that both Fulton and Weedsport have camping available, as well. Little bit of travel, and I am frankly concerned about general parking at the Oswego facility, but it is what it is.

As a reminder, they are running shuttles between the facility and some downtown parking locations. Many houses around the facility have sold parking in their lawns as well, so.....

ask0329

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me much if the dirt stayed down at Oswego.

I have heard that rumor from a couple people. If true would lead me to believe, and crazy to think that the speedway made that much money of off SDW than they did running the normal asphalt season. Granted I would assume they would hold a few more dirt races during the summer. But still there must of been some sort of financial light bulb that went off if this is true.

Goggles Pisano

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Looks good.  Flag stand looks little too low.  And....it's official.  I can never have children.

Yours,
Debbie Downer 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:16:51 PM by Goggles Pisano »
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 01:37:48 AM »
Debbie - have you considered adoption?

Indeed, the flag stand is lower than most. Der Flaggermeister was even a little worried about it last year.

Goggles Pisano

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Debbie - have you considered adoption?

Indeed, the flag stand is lower than most. Der Flaggermeister was even a little worried about it last year.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone would adopt me. 

itchypav

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
Hmmm - the Rubbles have one adopted son already - maybe looking for a 2nd.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »
Not really sure what that means, but...

Back to the track. I guess, from what some are saying, they are trying to keep the dirt at Oswego hard and slick to see if it will stand up better than the last time. I still think they need more than 6 inches in the corners, but maybe dry slick in the answer.

I did talk to a couple of teams Saturday who have made it very clear they are not planning to race at Oswego this year.

ask0329

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
Not planning on attending? That's sad really. I get the expense of wrecked equipment but last year was the first year. you have to give them another chance to get the track right. Different people prepping it this year too so hopefully better.

Last year at Oswego, Friday night to be specific, standing down in turn 3/4 (infield) looking up at the cars barreling through the turns was the first time in a long time that I was in awe over racing again. It was impressive and I cant wait to see it again this year. The atmosphere was great from wandering around the cold pits to being in the infield. Thought it was a great event.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
Friday night was the first racing I saw on the track last year, and I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it. Especially when Justin won his qualifier and secured the 3rd starting position on Sunday.

But I can also see some valid points. The 200 looked like a Bicknell Pick and Pull at the end. I even joked with Randy about it. And I pleaded with Fuller and Decker to NOT go back out in their small blocks, even though the track got better miraculously.....

I agree that there are new people prepping it this year. Not sure I agree with the hard and dry slick idea, but.... My thought on last year was they should have called off Sunday's events and ran on Monday, which has been the built in rain date for decades. Maybe the track would have been better with less wrecked equipment.

uticamike

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
Hard,dry ,slick?  Why bother? That describes the asphalt there.  thinking,,, ya know if it's smooth enough maybe an asphalt car

could compete. :o :o   Pavement Mods on dirt....that might get me there . LOL
Don't mess with the Geriatric Jackman

112SMW

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
$180 price tag for a pit pass has got me from not going.

chit pants

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
Not really sure what that means, but...

Back to the track. I guess, from what some are saying, they are trying to keep the dirt at Oswego hard and slick to see if it will stand up better than the last time. I still think they need more than 6 inches in the corners, but maybe dry slick in the answer.

I did talk to a couple of teams Saturday who have made it very clear they are not planning to race at Oswego this year.
[/quote
6" is more than enough. They were actually very lucky last year that it wasn't any deeper or the holes that did form would have been much deeper and much worse.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »
$180 price tag for a pit pass has got me from not going.

That price is only if you intend to go into the infield. A regular pass gets you access to the "cold" pits outside the track.

I did also confirm that, while there is a midway on the main side of the track, there will be merchandise in the cold pits as well, so you don't have to drive all the way over there if you want a t-shirt.

As far as the 6 inch depth goes, with the skirting on the bodies, and some serious right side roll and side bite, I feel the cars will dig through the clay in hot laps. And the holes last year were due to too much water, and peeling.

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
Borrowed from my friend Jamie Weaknecht:

CONFIRMED BIG BLOCKS

0 Dan Humes
3 Justin Haers
3J Marc Johnson
5 Ryan Godown
6H Max McLaughlin
7mm Mike Maresca
8 Rich Scagliotta
8a Rick Laubach
9s Matt Sheppard
14J Alan Johnson
19 Tim Fuller
19 Jessey Mueller
20 Brett Hearn
21A Peter Britten
22 Brandon Walters
25R Erick Rudolph
27J Danny Johnson
34 Cody Bleau
35 Frank Cozze
36 Brian Whittemore
39 Tim McCreadie
42p Pat Ward
43 Jimmy Horton
43 Keith Flach
44 Stewart Friesen
49 Billy Dunn
51m Dom Buffalino
66x Carey Terrance
84 Gary Tomkins
88 Mike Mahaney
91 Billy Decker
93 Danny Varin
98H Jimmy Phelps
99L Larry Wight
109 Billy Whittaker
115 Kenny Tremont

I know Lernerville Modified Champion Mat Williamson is TAKING his 6m big block to Oswego, and planning to run the small block satellite shows, but he will wait to see what the track does before running the Clay Palace.

Goggles Pisano

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »
No Vic (back still bad?) or Kyle Coffey?

Sunny

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »
It's Vic's neck, and I don't believe he will attempt anything. They are probably concentrating on Timmy this year. Took a lot out of the guys last year with two cars, and Vic refused to race on Sunday. Wasn't destroying two machines.