Author Topic: Corner misfire  (Read 6918 times)

sharpd12

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Corner misfire
« on: July 25, 2019, 06:45:45 AM »
Having a problem with my street stock. Going into corner and car just starts to stumble and fall on face until back going straight. Doesn’t make difference if I feather throttle,hold to floor, or even throw it in and try coasting through as mush if the turn that I can. I adjusted float so there just a trickle with a little rocking of the car. Any ideas or help would be great!
Thank you in advance

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Corner misfire
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:21 AM »
Does this happen if your fuel cell/tank is full, or when it's near empty? If it happens as the tank gets to a lower level, is your "fuel pickup" offset so it's at the right side of your fuel cell/tank? If not, centrifugal force is pushing the gas away from your pickup, as you're cornering, momentarily starving the engine for fuel.

sharpd12

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »
Does this happen if your fuel cell/tank is full, or when it's near empty? If it happens as the tank gets to a lower level, is your "fuel pickup" offset so it's at the right side of your fuel cell/tank? If not, centrifugal force is pushing the gas away from your pickup, as you're cornering, momentarily starving the engine for fuel.

Had the cell filled to the top and I did check pick up to make sure it’s in the right corner.

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »
You should check fuel pressure first, 4 1/2 - 7 lbs is good, a tad lower or a tad higher can work but it is outside the range of what the carb needs. Now raise the float so it just trickles / seeps out without rocking the car, probably 2 -3 flats on the nut adjuster, sounds to me the car is soft on the right side springs or right side ride height is low. Keep us posted on what fixes the problem.

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 02:34:25 AM »
Sharpd12, is the carb issue any better ?  You have to keep us posted if you want some help.

sharpd12

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 06:24:04 PM »
I have been chasing it still for weeks. I have changed carbs and yes floats were adjusted properly on Both. I changed battery to be safe I had plenty of juice. Tried jetting up and down. No difference. I changed back to my old distributor to make sure that was not the problem. Fuel pressure was at 8psi When tested at home. Not sure of on trAck pressure.

I will be pulling fuel pump and fuel push rod tonight to make sure rod is not worn down.

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
the fellows told you what to look for.... check the fuel pressure when the car is going thru the corner,,,, every time you change something you are entering a new componant and possibly a new problem.... slow down and look at the problem, listen to people who are suggesting  ideas...... you must test the trouble in the corner,,,, good luck,,, it will all make sense when you discover the problem.

sharpd12

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 08:16:35 PM »
I was just going over everything again. I feel that my timing chain may have too much play? I can Rock the crank between 3-4 degrees according to timing tab before my distributor starts to move.

Car starts to act up as soon as a let off for corner entry and attempt to get back on throttle.

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 12:14:16 AM »
I was just going over everything again. I feel that my timing chain may have too much play? I can Rock the crank between 3-4 degrees according to timing tab before my distributor starts to move.

Car starts to act up as soon as a let off for corner entry and attempt to get back on throttle.

That won't cause the symptoms you are describing. Remember the dist has clearance in the gear to cam and the end play (up / down ) in the housing shims, your chain should be fine.

The engine internals don't know if you are in a turn or not.

Your fuel pressure ( 8 lbs, ) is too high for any thing that I would normally build, 5 - 6 lbs is more than enough for what you are doing. Also you have to check the accelerator lever clearance , no more than .015 clearance, plus check to see if there is decent squirt when pumped once.

BANGIN BOB

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »
SOUNDS LIKE A PLUG WIRE IS ARCING OUT IN THE CORNER

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
wow,,,, great suggestion,,, I am going to go along with that.... I hope the guy will come back and let us all know (maybe he is too .....) what the trouble turned out to be......