Poll

What do ya Think about a 604 Crate Sprint Car Class?  

Sounds like a good idea! it might work! i'd be willing to watch or race .
28 (52.8%)
Big dollar sprints are the only way to go.
25 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????  (Read 16396 times)

Q33 Racing

• Rookie
    • View Profile
What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
Do These words seem strange together "SPRINT CAR & ECONOMICAL" ? Well how about a Sprint Car w/ a 604 crate type class? The cost of a new complete competative dry sump 360 sprint motor hit the 30k+ mark and the "racesaver" 305 motor is getting pricy too. Maybe its time to think about a Sprint Car division that more people can afford..   
*Klispie Motorsports & Machine Shop*
*Wild World Creations*
*Bender Racing / Dyno Port*

dirtraceguy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
Quite honestly, I think this is a terrible idea. While I am all for saving some money, sprint cars are about bad fast speed and the sound, and Im not so sure that a crate powered sprint car would deliver either.  It wouldnt be on the top of my list to see.

JMO

racer76j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:33:38 PM »
there is no way i would spend 30.oo for a ticket to watch a crate sprint.A traveling class like sprints is meant to be bad *****.Crates are gay.What if nascar ran crates?Now that would be funny.
Don't hate what beats you.Just learn from it!

Q33 Racing

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
I have to Agree that a there is nothing better then a 410 or 360 blasting away at  8500+rpm and thats the show I would prefer.
  But by no means was this intended to replace those classes or even travel.
Just an Idea for beginners without deep pockets to have fun in a full size sprint car. I have seen some different tracks in the midwest and west coast running multiple level full size sprint classes. Pulling some new blood into an entry class may help out the future of the big guys. 
*Wild World Creations*

SpacieT

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »
hey u guys knock the 604 and havent even ran it. we ran one in a 358 mod and if u ran it u will be impressed. it will make the good drivers better and the other drivers made to learn how to do it right. long story short just try it

agitator57

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »
If they could be started on their own, get tireed of waitin on push trucks... would be neat for someone to try one to see how it performed, cars are lite enuff  the performance might b surprising...

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »
Sounds good to me..

JDK34j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
I think it would be a good idea. The introduction of the Crate motor has opened the doors to alot of racers whom otherwise would be left with no choice but the 4 cyl, fwd classes. Before you bash, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those classes. The crate has allowed guys to take the time to learn set-up, driveability, and characteristics of a full blown race chassis, be it LM, Mod, or perhaps even sprints. I could only see how this can aide our sport by allowing more qualified drivers to enter the classes where big money is spent and not a very good place to "learn". I know there are alot of individuals out there whom absolutley despise the crate motor, but really need to take a step back and see the impact it will have on the sport, long term. Most tracks that run crate classes now have full fields in their respective class, some stay, some move up, some move out, bottom line is those that move up do so with experience in the type of car, those that stay have an affordable platform to race a "full blown" chassis set-up, and those that move out had the oppurtunity to do something they could not afford to do in the past. I say put the crate in a sprint and bring them back to a weekly show, where you dont have to travel hrs or spend 50$ on a ticket, perhaps the guys spending really big $$ would appreciate the "minor league" experience an individual could gain before hopping behind the wheel of a monster
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:04:45 PM by JDK34j »
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
Benjamin Disraeli, 1845

Jackman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »
If they were wingless I believe they would be a success. Wingless sprint car racing is something I wish was popular in these parts but it's not. That class would be a refreshing addition to what we have now.

Nysprintfan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:56:37 PM »
Couldnt agree with jackman more if it were wingless it wold make all the difference!

Wingless is where its at!

crankyhick

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:19:47 AM »
You got to be kidding!!!!! Crate engines "MAY" have a place in some classes, but, NOT IN A SPRINT CAR!!!!!!! JMHO
Howie Markel.. Race Fan

gregsy32

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »
As a fan - crates suck in any class.

As a driver - they are cheap.  (but you can build more hp/torque for the same money with an open)
Greg Crooker

Easily entertained.

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
This has got to be one of the dumbest brain farts I've ever heard.  If you think the 305 sprints are "pricey", then you have no business at all running a sprint car.  Besides that, there are way way too many different divisions in short track racing today.  Adding another completely unnecessary class would just further worsen that situation.

Oh ya, real sprint cars don't have wings.  Slot car racing stinks!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:05:55 PM by Groundpounder »
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower

Greg Birosh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:06:48 AM »
How would you externally balance an engine when you don't run a flywheel, as in a sprint car?  Beside that, a competitive Racesaver 305 can be built for less than a 604 and you can work on it without worrying about seal bolts.  Just because some choose to spend more, doesn't mean they are making more power.  Plus, if you ever want to move up to a 360, you'll already have fuel injection and a mag.  The point was also mentioned above about too many classes already spreading fans and racers too thin, and that is very valid, although I do like the idea of seeing some non-wing racing closer to home.  But please, no crate engines in sprint cars. 

Q33 Racing

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
  I knew that I was "wackin a bee hive" when I mentioned Crate & Sprint Car in the same post. It causes a stir when ever the topic is brought up with any class.
I think Ground Pounder would still be hitting the " >:(" button if I allowed multiple votes and then strip me of my Atta Boys. ;D

There just seems to be a bunch of newer Sprint rollers w/ good equipment out there for decent prices.
  I just thought it would be neat if there was a way to utilize a popular motor (well not so popular with everyone) that easy to obtain used, puts out ok power and eazy to resell cause there is a bunch of other classes that use it.
the idea was to utilize whats out there .If it is going to require expensive modifications than it would be a waste of time.

Unfortunatly the racesaver guys don't get close to the wny area and the only jump is to the ESS,SOS,etc. to run a sprint car.     

Purhapes the 605 is not the best choice for this car and it would just fall on its face on a tacky track.

*Wild World Creations*