Author Topic: Spencer Speedway  (Read 11469 times)

Beersy26

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Spencer Speedway
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
I also noticed most of Spencers 7 dates are not the same weekend as RoC shows.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »
I also noticed most of Spencers 7 dates are not the same weekend as RoC shows.

At least that seems to be a logical plan..........unless the weather gets wonky for an extended period of time, again.

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 04:15:48 AM »
I heard that the track is dropping the mods for the year.

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »
This track owner is the same guy that made his Racers chip in to buy the track bite, to make the racing better at his racetrack...lame duck track owner/promoter is trying to operate a race track off the Racers back...
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

Beersy26

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »
I didn't even notice when I looked at the 7 race date schedule that the super stocks are the headliners..... no mods! I would guess that the track will be closed before fall........ very sad

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »
Now....Where do the Sportsman guys go on Saturday nights since Fridays are no more.

Go to Lancaster?  (Closest and easiest)

Perry?  ( handling over hp)

or.....Chemung and support the guy that pulled out the rug from you?

I'd say here what I'd do but I'm turning over a new leaf. No more negative stuff. ;)
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

ask0329

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
I agree that Lancaster and Tim are doing a fine job and cares about the fans and drivers and racing overall but not all of us live next door to the place. I live in Fulton and have been a loyal fan for over 30 years and I do travel but not every week. I had an awesome asphalt track in my backyard 3 miles from my house where I used to watch Evans, Troyer, Bodine, Cook, Kent, etc. and guess what. Now its  a Dirt track because the owner saw $$$$ in dirt.   

You bring up a good point. However, for what it's worth, I don't understand why dirt tracking got more popular, a few years back, and asphalt is dying. Are the dirt cars cheaper to build, therefore they draw more cars, therefore the races are more interesting to watch? If it's not that, I really wonder what it is, as dirt never held that big an interest for me.

As successful as it is, I believe the 602 crate sportsman has really killed allot of classes.

I would say cheaper yes. You can pick up a Dirt mod roller for $2-3K all day. A used 602 $1500 or 3K new. Your on the track for 5-6K That's what a boat, snowmobile, motorcycle or jet ski cost.

Are there any asphalt classes where you can be race ready in that price range?

Furthermore, asphalt track rules are so fractured and nobody works together between tracks that its just a hassle to go asphalt racing. On dirt for the most part especially in the 602 sportsman, everyone state wide and the whole northeast run basically DIRT rules.

Lastly tires. a set of sportsman tires for a budget racer you may get almost a year out of them. From what ive been told about asphalt you need a new set nearly every week just to keep up.

Beersy26

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
Mike  I don't see it as a negative to suggest you would support the best thing that has happened to racing in NY in say 20 years  8)

cwm

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
  We all need to find an asphalt division that is that inexpensive to race, then limit tires to 1 new per week as do the NYSS boys. Not everybody can afford tour mods and late models and tracks can't afford to pay them weekly.

ask0329

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
Agreed and I do not think crate motors are the answer for asphalt. I have a feeling it would create freight train racing with no passing.

IMCA modified engine rules are common sense rules.
The 1 tire a week rule is good to.
Steel shocks with like a $100 each max price tag. Don't go spec shocks but steel body no shcrader valves. Or give like 3-4 options of brands in that price range.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
As far as drag racing at Spencer, I believe it stopped after the 2016 season.  One thing is certain--there was NO drag racing last year (2017) at the track.  At one time, there was a futile attempt by several long-term loyal drivers to keep it operating but, for whatever reason, at present, the Spencer Speedway drag program is non-existent.  My understanding from other track officials I've met over the years is that sanctioning from NHRA would also disappear since not enough racing events were held to maintain the agreement...To have NHRA OR IHRA sanction the track would require undergoing the somewhat difficult route of track inspection, insurance requirements and anything else which may be required.  Despite having a major presence in WNY drag racing history through the years (Rochester-area racers especially) preferred to be able to race somewhere closer rather than travelling to Empire, Niagara(gone but remembered fondly by fans and drivers alike), Lancaster or E.S.T.A. in Cicero NY (Just outside Syracuse). Spencer's drag track has an nontraditional short length of 1/10 mile--but it was a place to legally race instead of participating in illegal street racing.

http://www.spencerspeedway.org/drags/
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

westside

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
I am very disappointed in the number of races and the elimination of the modified class. I've been going to Spencer since the early 70's. This is by far my favorite track and I always look forward to Friday race night. I hope next season they will return to a full racing schedule with the modified class reinstated. 

94Reasons

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
MODS ARE BACK ON THE SCHEDULE !!!!! 

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »
Mods? or Sport mods?   
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

phredo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
From the Spencer Speedway website:

2018 Spencer Speedway Update

The SUNOCO Modifieds return for the 2018 season. The Modifieds will race with the NYSS Series at Spencer Speedway each Friday the track races!! Details concerning the point fund will be released as they become available. Without the NASCAR sanctioning the hope is more visiting cars will frequent the speedway in 2018. A tire program is also in the work to help the racers save money like in 2017. The program will have some tweaks the racers spoke of and liked in the 2017 tire program. We are also working on an extended length special race for the SUNOCO Modifieds. Stay tuned for more details and if you have any questions, as always, feel free to give John White a call.
2021 Next: Bubba Raceway, Volusia Speedway, New Smyrna Speedway.