Author Topic: Sometimes, it DOES make a difference...  (Read 16392 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
Sometimes, it DOES make a difference...
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:37:57 PM »
In an earlier post,  I posted an online link for anyone to somehow stay at the NYS Fairgrounds to express their views in support of the annual event.  Most of the time, you don't receive any acknowledgement that it was reviewed by anyone.  But, I was surprised to receive correspondence explaining what was going on and facts related to the decision making process!  Yes, for all anyone knows, this could only be a "form-letter" generated by computer software or someone's clerical staff.  But I thought I would post it for all to read and/or download...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes, it DOES make a difference...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
Form letter for sure. Verbatim text to the letter "Leadfoot" got and posted.

Dear Mr. Waffner,

Thank you for writing. Now go look up the word sincerely.

Sincerely, Your friend from Utica.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »
Form letter for sure. Verbatim text to the letter "Leadfoot" got and posted.

Dear Mr. Waffner,

Thank you for writing. Now go look up the word sincerely.

Sincerely, Your friend from Utica.

I knew I could count on you, UM...to cast a negative light on this. Still, I believe getting this is better than getting nothing but I guess I must be in the minority on this one!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
You were the first one to burn down the news of the CNY Race Park but I'm the one who's negative?  That's choice.

Simply pointing out the "sincerity" of a form letter from a pol. Congressman and Representatives do this all the time.

Sorry..just keeping it real.  Do you save corporate Christmas cards too?

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »
Sounds like you got Segwayed, Paz...
"Today is yesterday's future"

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:49 AM »
You were the first one to burn down the news of the CNY Race Park but I'm the one who's negative?  That's choice.

Simply pointing out the "sincerity" of a form letter from a pol. Congressman and Representatives do this all the time.

Sorry..just keeping it real.  Do you save corporate Christmas cards too?

"Negative" seems to be your middle name on this site; I post a positive and get trashed for doing so by you?  Can't win; first I'm negative and now I post something of a positive and you still throw me on the George Foreman grill?...Hey, since you're the one who brought it up, what's the schedule looking like for 2015 at the place where I posted a long time ago not to get excited over until you could buy tickets and actually sit down and watch a race at a place that should have had a full season under their belts by now, if one wants to believe the original, glowing press releases back before the 2014 season began (and that's NOT real?) I never said it wouldn't be built but people were extremely giddy about a place that, as of this date has only "broken ground"...Oh, as a matter of fact, yes, I still have the Christmas card I received following my first season announcing at Daytona; it's pretty special to me! The only Christmas cards I would want to save now are the ones you've never sent me--no surprise, since I've never been on your "list"...Ratzso--this is the treatment I get when I try to explain your great use of sarcasm and wit?  Gee, thanks a lot--by the way, the bus needs a new muffler after I inspected it--by your command!

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 06:36:13 AM »
Is it a surprise to anyone that most times when we talk on here about the closing of a track or the building of another the common theme is the state is involved. If I've said it once I've said it a..........well at least twice, follow the money trail and you'll get your answer. I really do not care if Donnelly gets his project off the ground or not. I think he needs state money to make that happen and I didn't see any coming his way in this budget. So there goes another year. I still don't think the final nail is in the coffin for Syracuse. JMO

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:44:28 AM »
Paz, I really don't think it was a George Foreman Grill. More like The Showtime Rotisserie by Ron Popiel after you were caught with a Pocket Fisherman.
Kareem of Wheet

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »
Paz, I'm sorry, but you just got a "send them this, it will appease them for a minute" form letter. And I don't find UM to be negative, he's truthful in the fact that perhaps we are beating a dead horse trying to save the race track. And it's not just about Dirt Week for me.

There is a complete other thread on here regarding Super DIRT Week, and leadfoot's letter is included. Not to mention that the petition received acknowledgment from John DiFrancisco, who states he will "recommend to Governor Cuomo" that public meetings be held so the parties who wish to have their voice heard can.

Personally, I'm a little tired of having smoke blown up my arse. The fact is - if you take away even this ONE event from the facility, thousands of taxpayers are affected - either attendees or nbusinesses in the area that don't see that late season revenue some count on. There is NO WAY Mahoney's equestrian center is going to bring in as much revenue as we dirt track fans can. (In beer and firewood sales alone!) So the BUSINESSES need to step up at this point and start being involved. Treelanders will lose a ton of money. The convenience stores and hotels. The Thruway will lose money because no one is travelling it.

But go ahead. Force the World Racing Group to make a change, and they will. They will either do away with this historic event, or move it out of state. Not to mention the history that we race fans lose, and I don't just mean modifieds.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
I have worked with Jeff Hachmann of WRG in the past when he and I worked together at Homestead-Miami Speedway many years ago...despite the many critical opinions which have been expressed here regarding his current employer, I have always found him to be a straight shooter and highly professional in whatever he was/is involved in.  I cornered him at the Syracuse show and asked him about the situation.  He told me "we're not done yet", that negotiations were ongoing with the NY Fair Commission in an attempt to hammer out a deal...granted, that was before the state budget was passed and things certainly might have changed.  One thing I can say for sure:  it's inconceivable to me that an established, successful event like "Dirt Week" would be lost.  I'm certainly not privy to any discussions and politics behind the scenes but, (call me naive), it just doesn't make sense.  I know I am speaking as someone whose "pro-racing" attitude about this whole deal can and does cloud my thinking on this scenario.  I have no problem admitting that!

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
I am very "pro racing" and pro Hachmann (and Chris Dolack, because he busted his arse at Dirt Week last year). It's just a couple of other guys there that I don't see eye to eye with. In no way do I think the World Racing Group is ready to give up on a money-maker. For good reasons or bad, they'll figure out a way to have "Super DIRT Week" into the future. It just looks as if the state government has pretty much said they don't give a crap what we voting, tax-paying dirt track lovers think, no matter what a couple letters say. If any of those guys really cared, they would appear with Joe Marotta on his radio show, or the 31st Lap, or even Turn 5 Podcast. But put a face to it, don't hide behind a form letter.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
Here, here!!!

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »
I'm scared now...anybody want a burger?  :-\

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »

Ratzso--this is the treatment I get when I try to explain your great use of sarcasm and wit?  Gee, thanks a lot--by the way, the bus needs a new muffler after I inspected it--by your command!

Paz,

I'm your number one fan.  If you had an official fan club, I would be mailing in my membership this instant, provided the dues were reasonable and I received a membership certificate that was suitable for framing.  I'd probably need a senior citizen discount too, but I digress.

While I applaud the efforts by yourself and others to save the Super Dirt Race at the Moody Mile, as I read the form letter you and several others have received, what it really says between the lines is, "Thanks for your input, now get the fudge away from me so we can do what we planned to do." 

From the Urban Dictionary:  Segway

1. A scooter like device which is self stabilising. Failed due to high cost.
2. To change the direction of a conversation. A non-sequitor.

I think the response from the Acting Director, in a nice way "segwayed" you in different direction.  He didn't promise anything, you're sorta' happy and you went away...

Ratzso
"Today is yesterday's future"

bbbr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
I have worked with Jeff Hachmann of WRG in the past when he and I worked together at Homestead-Miami Speedway many years ago...despite the many critical opinions which have been expressed here regarding his current employer, I have always found him to be a straight shooter and highly professional in whatever he was/is involved in.  I cornered him at the Syracuse show and asked him about the situation.  He told me "we're not done yet", that negotiations were ongoing with the NY Fair Commission in an attempt to hammer out a deal...granted, that was before the state budget was passed and things certainly might have changed.  One thing I can say for sure:  it's inconceivable to me that an established, successful event like "Dirt Week" would be lost.  I'm certainly not privy to any discussions and politics behind the scenes but, (call me naive), it just doesn't make sense.  I know I am speaking as someone whose "pro-racing" attitude about this whole deal can and does cloud my thinking on this scenario.  I have no problem admitting that!

"It's inconceivable to me that an established event like the race of champions could be lost"- supporters of Lanhgorne

"It's inconceivable to me that an established event like the race of champions could be lost"- supporters of Trenton