Author Topic: New Smyrna 2018 World Series  (Read 12001 times)

ask0329

Re: New Smyrna 2018 World Series
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
Wow what a great setup to watch free racing. The Late Model race was awesome. The brawl was even fun to see. The Mod race was really good as well. Although the Florida mods where a snoozer. I had to turn if off after lap 30. It was just boring. 12 cars doing 75 laps....... Im sure it would be a great show if they had 30 of them. looked like a neat class.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
I enjoyed the TV broadcast much more last night--the offtrack audio was much improved!  Internet streaming technology is still in its infancy so there will be "glitches" caused by several factors.  Overall, the broadcast is produced very well with the leaderbar and the lower crawling one keeping track of the field was also impressive.  The split screen has been a welcome part of the race coverage that has been shown so far...I concentrate on the technical aspects of the broadcast because 1.) I'm interested in that kind of stuff and 2.)The races are usually much more enjoyable to watch because of it! (I will leave opinions of the quality of the actual race(s) themselves to the rest of the board!) This is race coverage in its purest form so enjoy the free stuff while it lasts! Because if and when it can somehow make money (through advertising), watching from afar with "commercials" might not seem as good as it is now!

The site has also archived their previous broadcasts, so you should check those out as well.  I'm curious to hear what opinion Mel Thomas might have regarding this race coverage!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
Im sure it would be a great show if they had 30 of them. looked like a neat class.

I am watching this with interest. 

The two mod classes ebb and flow.  Go back a number of years and the Tour mods ran 7 nights and the Florida mods ran 3-4, maybe 5.  Then as the Tour car count went down, the Florida count went up.  So Speedweeks started adding days to the Florida mods and the Tour Mods got days taken away.

So this year they put the Florida mods on almost every day, Tour mods only a handful of days, and the car counts are reversed again.  What isn't helping the Florida mods is that they had some major accidents early in the week (3 red flags in 3 days) and that their rules package is different than many in other areas around the country.  We run the same class here in Michigan and I would have to make some major changes to be eligible, and some extreme changes to be further competitive.

Last year one guy from my area went and he built a separate car just for "Southern" events as a result.

And for reference:

Night 1
 Super Late Models - 21
 Pro Late Models - 23
 Sportsman - 12
 Florida Modifieds - 15

Night 2
 Super Late Models - 18
 Pro Late Models - 22
 Sportsman - 18
 Florida Modifieds - 14
 Sprint Cars - 16

Night 3

NASCAR K&N East - 29
 Florida Modifieds - 12

Night 4

Tour Modifieds - 31
 Super Late Models - 16
 Pro Late Models - 22

Night 5
 Tour Modifieds - 28
 Super Late Models - 20
 Florida Modifieds - 12

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
Just had this discussion with MT last night. We came up with 3 contributing factors:

1. The move to 5 nights instead of 9....Makes it more affordable for more people.

2. Ricky Brooks(technical inspector)....The more people that believe they are competing on a level playing field, the more that are apt to come.

3. The Trump Effect.....(It's the economy stupid)....lol

...kt
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
Thanks kt for the reply.

A couple additional thoughts...

There are few cars in the region.  It isn't like super lates where there are a preponderance within 8 hours.  Nearly all have to travel, which likely makes the 5 nights more appetizing.

Conversely, the Florida mods are essentially only a local class.  Getting them to run 9 times in a week is a LOT, especially when they are a pseudo-headline division. 

cwm

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »
 Are the engines in the Florida Mods something a working man can afford or have the went to the point of pricing themselves out of existence?

Chriszak7

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
I have been coming here since 1988 and this is the first time their are more modified than latemodels. I think that's the case this year anyway.

sgt12

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 07:21:30 PM »
The Florida mod car count took a hit after night #1 as they couldn't get through 3 laps without wading up a bunch of equipment

first

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
A few notes since I’m here enjoying the show.
They showed the fight on fanschoice? It was right in front of me and it was rocky brooks who stopped a car to yell at the driver and the kids dad didn’t realize it was Ricky.

Lots of mods even on their 3rd night and yes the 5 straight days played a big part in that. Still near 20 SLM and pros. The other classes will be dropped soon if the don’t wanna run.  Enjoy the show

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
Are the engines in the Florida Mods something a working man can afford or have the went to the point of pricing themselves out of existence?

I think the rules are identical to here, which is essentially anything you want that doesn't have an aluminum block or forced induction.

It is "gated" by running an 8" right rear that is not a slick.  In theory *wink* you can't get all the power down to take advantage of it.

94Reasons

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
Entertaining Mod race last night. A great field of cars and the ROC crowd did great !!

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 09:14:13 AM »
...The ROC guys qualified 1-2-3 last night and finished 1-2-5. Way to represent the series and congratulations to all....
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
Another ROC victory tonight - this time via Emerling

first

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
This place is packed tonight. Looks like there aren’t any/many open seats and people seem to be standing without seats.

Turbo01

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
Great modified racing all 5 nights. Big thanks to all the team's that supported the event.