Author Topic: What Ever Happened to Coleman Gulick  (Read 9447 times)

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
What Ever Happened to Coleman Gulick
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
Last I heard he was like 8 years old driving a 360 Sprint.   What ever became of the lad?  I thought he'd be in NASCAR by now.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

BClapp

• Rookie
  • huh?
    • View Profile
Re: What Ever Happened to Coleman Gulick
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
He was out in indiana/ohio area racing wingless sprints I believe.  I know he had a house fire a few months back and suffered someburns, although I think they were relatively minor (as much as thats possible for burns).  It seems like I heard he was moving back to the area, but I may have misunderstood.
www.nyparacing.com
Clapperton311@gmail.com
Brandon Clapperton
Empire Sport Trucks www.estracing.com

thelegend30

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • DelGrosso Brothers Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
According to his website, he has stepped away from racing.

http://www.colemangulick.com/
Driver #11 FWD for DelGrosso Brothers Racing
2014 & 2015 Woodhull Raceway FWD Track Champion
2018 The Hill Speedway FWD Track Champion

thejet61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »
another short timer , whirlwind racer. seems to be alot of them nowdays........seen a few in my 30+yrs in this sport...loads of money in the beginning and then ......

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
hmmmm.... "do you want fries with that?"
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
another short timer , whirlwind racer. seems to be alot of them nowdays........seen a few in my 30+yrs in this sport...loads of money in the beginning and then ......

I do not agree with this assessment of him, however I understand how some might.

The one thing I will say is that it took a lot to uproot his family and move to at least try to make it.  I give them credit and praise for that, even if it didn't work out the way they would have liked in the end.

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
Maybe he did the right thing for his family by stepping back. I have seen enough kids with rotten teeth with fishing line for shoestrings but Daddy has a racecar.
Kareem of Wheet

Chriszak7

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »
I was told one of his good friends died in an accident out there as well. Hats off for trying. Maybe he will turn ul in a dirt mod around here someday. Still young enough to take a break.

oldtimeracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »
Johnny the Jet,
would you put Mark Martin's son Matt in that category also?  Maybe, just maybe, the breaks didn't go his way and ran out of money?

Gregonet31

• Rookie
  • I'm awesome.
    • View Profile
    • Can-Am Racing Series
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
Wasnt Matts issue that he was failing at school and Mark pulled him out of racing so he could get his education properly?

Or is that the "after school special" version that I was told to make it sound good?

thelegend30

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • DelGrosso Brothers Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
Wasnt Matts issue that he was failing at school and Mark pulled him out of racing so he could get his education properly?

Or is that the "after school special" version that I was told to make it sound good?

I heard he just didn't want to do it anymore. I saw an article on it the other day. Happens all the time when kids get older, they just find other interests.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-07-05/sports/smith05_1_matt-martin-busch-matt-racing
Driver #11 FWD for DelGrosso Brothers Racing
2014 & 2015 Woodhull Raceway FWD Track Champion
2018 The Hill Speedway FWD Track Champion

JC124

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »
Why do people say he did not make it? He was running USAC sprint cars and Silver Crown cars, now I realize that's not a sportsman at Fonda but I always felt Usac was pretty big running against some pretty big names with big budgets. just because someone don't make it to Nascar does not make them a loser. Although I have no inside knowledge I do believe it was nothing to do with money and more to do with his friend getting killed he wanted to do some other things. I have been to Kokomo IN  4 times now and being from Binghamton I always paid close attention to him and he won 1 of the nights I was there. I always thought he was quite the wheelman. on a side note what an awesome track  if you ever have the opportunity to go there don't pass it up.

24KC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
I agree with Joe.  We only got to see him a couple times at Kokomo,  but the kid was a gasser.  Watched him spank some of the best of the best to win the Vince Osmun Memorial for the second straight year in 2012.  I know he got hurt real bad himself in 2009 or 10.  I believe the friend getting killed is the reason he walked away. If you are early 20s damn near die yourself and then watch your friend who is even younger get killed you may rethink your career path

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »
That's too bad.  Those wingless sprints are nuts.  Check out some of the youtube crash videos.   It's amazing, with no wings for crush protection, that more people aren't killed in those things. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Mike C

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »
Appears he finished 15th at I88 tonight.