Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 553978 times)

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:45 AM »
Lucky Cornish says a race track in Etna N.Y., northeast of Ithaca, has been under construction all summer and there will be  stock car racing there next year...

Anyone near Etna that can do a little legwork? I think I've found this track.
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

brplm91

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2010, 07:09:26 AM »
any idea of what classs yet?
racin for fun....like it should be

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »
Classes?
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
from the "Cavalcade of Auto Racing" circa 1965...Bryon Osgood at Williams Grove
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »
Bryan Osgood at Susquehanna circa 1965
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Reportertom

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2010, 11:43:39 AM »
Half Fast Bob,

Was that the old Ithaca-Dryden Speedway that you can still see a little bit of and is the home of Ringwood Raceway go-kart track now??
Tom Vartanian
Cortland Standard Sports Writer

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
Was that the old Ithaca-Dryden Speedway that you can still see a little bit of and is the home of Ringwood Raceway go-kart track now??

Reportertom...

No, sir. I've found an oval that appears to be about a half mile in size - not very far west of the town of Etna. The reason I suspect this could be a car track is that it was carved in the middle of nowhere and not anywhere close to a farm that would indicate it was used as a horse training facility at one time.

If anyone is in the area, take a drive west out of the town of Etna on Etna Road. You'll cross Wood Road continuing west, and will come to a set of high tension power lines that cross Etna Road. Stop. On the right side of the road is where this track is. It's nestled in the woods probably 100 yards off the north shoulder, and extremely visible from the satellite images.

And if you feel like pounding on doors to ask questions, start with the sawmill in the lower right corner of this picture. There is an obvious old tractor path leading from that property over to the area where this track is.

If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
Yes the track where Ringwood raceway is WAS the Ithaca-Dryden Speedway...There was stuff posted earlier on this thread about a track that was built in that area (Ithaca Speedway) in 1951  but never raced and also I found mention of a track that was being built and was supposed to start up in 1959 in Etna...This track was being spearheaded by Hank Clark (he won the first race at Airpot Speedway)
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
Bob Fuller artilcle from the August 17th, 1958 edition of the Elmira Star-Gazette

Bob Fuller   WITH THE STOCK CARS
Midget Cars Returning To Area

Friday will be a spectacular night for Chemung Speedrome. That's the night that promotor Jackie Markos will inaugurate the first midget car racing in this area in several years. Sanctioned by the Indianapolis Racing Assn., there will be at least 26 race cars guarenteed to compete and a few Indianapolis drivers present....

Bud Johnson of Alleghany won first place Saturday in the 100-lap Modified Championship. Local drivers competing were Jackie Baldwin, who finished third; Fred Brink, who finished fifth and Percy Brown, 12th after losing a wheel. Percy stayed overnight and won first place the following day at Hunt, N.Y. ...  Cecil Keister, now driving at Port Royal, Pa. (near Williamsport) for Al McClure of Troy...Bill Schroth will drive No. 7 in the modified from now on...Gordie Blanchard now using a new Chevy motor in 3A...Jake Miller says he's having a ball, driving a modern car for Southport Fire Dept. 

RAIN SPOILED the Glider City Sports Arena show last Sunday with 83 cars competing. This week three features will run first, then the regular race card which will include a mid-season 40 lap "modified' championship...Dick Karlnoski and Bill Chisholm, both from Dundee, are doing well at the two local tracks...Look for Earl Bodine to challange the "A" leaders as soon as he gets his car handling well.

Bucky Buchanan is moving up fast, along with Pete Schaeffer, at the Southport track...Bucky's still the leader at Towanda.... Bobby Jaynes is still having trouble keeping No. 1 on the track...Cliff Pierce blew the motor on No. 9 last week...47 modern cars are now running at Southport...Jack Soper won a big one at Chemung Saturday, but Bill Schroth had a chance all the way.

MEET THE DRIVER...Earl Zimdahl
   A veteran driver who started at Big Flats Airport Raceway (Tri-Cities  ed) in 1938, "Zim" (as most people call him) was top driver there along with Johnny Granger and Red Davis. His car was a 1927 Chrysler, which co-driver Davis termed the hottest on the track.
Money being scarce and welding so expensive, the car was literally braced and held together by baling wire and straps. Zim recalls that $3 for a heat win was good money then. Zim served in the Army during World War II and fought in Europe, being wounded once.
   He returned to stock car racing in 1950 when Corning started it's strictly stock policy. He's also driven at Wellsville,  Naples, Owego, Glen Aubrey, Five-Mile Point, Chemung and Southport in New York and Williamsport in Pennsylvannia. He has won at least one feature at every one of these tracks, except Southport.
   Zim drives No. 65, a Chevy in the modified class. At pesent he's high point man at Glider City track and sixth in point standings at Chemung. He's one of the few drivers who owns the car he drives.
   Zim is 37, married and lives in Horseheads with his wife, Regina, and their three daughters, aged 15, 11 and 5. He's a mechanic with his own place, the Zimdahl LaFrance Garage. He's well-liked by both drivers and fans and won the first feature-run at Chemung Speedrome. Unfortunately, Zim is under a doctor's care now. He's been suffering chest pains and loss of breath and possibly shouldn't have been driving the past two weeks. We certainly hope that the condition will clear up soon so that the fans can see the No. 65 back in action and better than ever.   
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Indian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »
Also someone mentioned the Le'mans start. I'm not sure if that's what they are setting up to do in this photo but it's possible. I've never had anyone definatively tell me what track this was shot at. There's no photo credit on it's reverse. Although they say the flagman is stocky like Al Dillon so it could be Chemung although the track looks too big to me! DALE

I've seen that picture a number of times and I think it was found to be taken at the Glider city race track.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »
Bob Fuller article from Sept. 28, 1958 edition of the Elmira Star-Gazette...

WITH THE STOCK CARS
Jack Soper, Area's Leading Driver

George "Jack" Soper, originally from Troy Pa., and now living at 205 South Ave., Elmira, has been the area's most successful stock car driver this season.
A veteran of seven years of competition, the 23-year old Soper is high point driver at Chemung Speedrome, Angelica, Smithport and holds a one point lead over Jack Baldwin at the Southport track. He has collected 13 trophies this year and could add at least three more point trophies before the season concludes.
   He's also raced at such tracks as Glen Aubrey, Williamsport, Big Flats, Towanda, Addison Hill, Ovid and a few times at Pikes Peak Speedway while visiting Clorado Springs, Colo.
One of eight children in the family, he is joined in the sport by his mother and sister who often participate in powder puff events. Many have said that Jack's "youth"  is responsible for his success. My personal opinion is that it's certainly much more than that. Anyone who knows and talks to Jack recognizes that certain quality of a good driver which he has. He loves racing, whether he's on or off the course (as a mechanic at Dalsis Motors).
   Much of the credit won by Jack can be attributed to the help of Don Moyer, owner of car No. 48, and Cyril "Scotty" Kowinevich, it's mechanic. Whatever Jack wins with the car, a 1933 Chevrolet coupe with a 1957 Corvette engine, is split three ways. Jack also drives No. 118 on occasion.

DRIVERS FROM Towanda VFW Speedway did a great job of contributing $500 to the family of the late Hal Hoose. At the same time, the Penn-York Women's Assn. sold programs and contributed another $50...Port Royal Speedway will hold a benefit race for Hal's family Oct. 4....Mrs. Hoose wishes to thank each and every person for all they have done for the family.

Chemung rained out yesterday...will have only one more night count in the point standings but  more races after that... Towanda finished it's season Friday night... Dundee Speedway has also been closed for the season, with Glen Reinners finishing as top point man.
   Sorry to hear of the death of Howard Tidd's mother, a frequent spectator at the races. It was especially difficult for Howard to hear the tragic news at the same hospital where he was being prepared for surgery...For certain today (barring rain again), there will be motorcycle races at Glider City Sports Arena, along with qualifying for next weekend's 100 lap modern
car feature ($100 first prize).   
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Howdy....I  have uncovered the identity of the mystery track in Etna... Ready?...... it's the Ithaca-Dryden Speedway (DUH) which was in Etna. It was spearheaded by 'Hungry' Hank Clark, a top notch driver and the winner of the first race at Airport Speedway in Big Flats (NY) . I varified the dates today. this should have been a no-brainer as when you google-map Etna  Ringwood Raceway is right there in the map picture.
I'm sharing the last Bob Fuller article tonight. I don't know if he ever wrote again, but I personally enjoy them and as I've stated before, it's like opening a time-capsule. So, it was with great GLADNESS that I un-covered not one, but two series of articles in the 1959 Elmira Advertiser and the Sunday Telegram. I can't wait to share them with you guys and will get them on line as soon as I can fit it in my schedule.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
From the Oct. 12th, 1958 edition of the Elmira Star-Gazette....enjoy

WITH THE STOCK CARS
By Bob Fuller

As the 1958 season of stock car racing closes a few questions are brought to mind which bear considerable thought:
Has this been a favorable season for all concerned? Will the Atlantic Stock Car Club be able to pull itself together or is it finished?
Since it is quite evident that the Chemung Speedrome will continue to run Saturday nights, what nights will the other tracks try to operate next season?
   Included are the Glider City Sports Arena, Towanda, and the new track at Etna (near Ithaca). Will the modified class, especially in this area, be able to produce more cars, or is it dying a slow death? It would be difficult for me to find all the answers to these questions. However, I would like to pass along the feelings of a few who are involved.
   Ernie June, owner of two modified cars said: "When we first formed the Chemung Racing assn., we had a smooth running club bound together by a board of directors. Everyone had equal authority. Then something happened."
   "It now appears that two or three are trying to run the show and there is a lot of bickering. I probably am considered an outcast with the club for speaking for what I consider right." "I would like to see all the people connected with racing sit down together and hash out all the problems. Maybe we could call it 'a meeting for the betterment of racing' ".
   Hank Clark, veteran driver and past president of the Finger Lakes Racing Assn., which will be running the new track at Etna next year said:
"We haven't decided just what night we will run next year. We had considered Friday, but understand that a few other tracks may also try friday."  "We do not want to cause arguements or bad feelings with anyone. It is too bad we can't all get together".
   Chuck Benjamin, local driver and past president of the Penn-York Racing Assn. says: "The Towanda track is in the best condition since it was constructed."  "We are hoping for a big year next season. However, we do not know yet what day of the week we will run. We are forming new rules for next year at a meeting Wednesday in Towanda. I hope something will develop to get the clubs together over the winter months".
   Howard Tidd, promoter for the Atlantic association, said: "It's going to be expensive to erect lights for night racing, but we are making plans to do so. I would like to say that I will play ball with anyone who will meet me halfway. I always have treated the boys fairly and will continue to do so. Sometime over the winter we will decide what night we will race."
   Harold Hoyt, vice-president of the Atlantic association, said: "There  definitely will be a re-orgainized Atlantic club by next spring. As soon as all the tracks are through racing for the year, there will be a meeting. We will discuss whatever is wrong with the club and straighten it out."  "Several boys have made a few suggestions which may help. We don't know what track we will run, if any, but there is definitely going to be an Atlantic club".
   Since the majority of stock car people express the same hope-  peaceful negotioations among all clubs-  why don't they sit down together and iron out the difficulties?
I would like to go out on a limb and suggest that everyone connected with stock cars in this area schedule a meeting. How about Wednesday night Dec. 3? Those interested call me. As this is my last article for the season, I would like to express my gratitude to all for the fine cooperation.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2010, 08:49:37 PM »
I found a little bit of info on Roulette Speedway in or by Galeton Pa. The article said it was a 1/3 mile banked track and said to be the fastest in the area. The artcle was published on May 29th, 1959 and stated they had been running for a few weeks. (amazing in that Chemung had been washed out one week and didn't open the next due to the cold....die-hards baby!) The first week Elmira's Jim Leonard won the opener in the #98. Galeton's John Schoener scored the win the next week in the # 51.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Beenthere

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:40 PM »
As always, Bob, thanks for all the hard work in bringing these articles to us.
They bring back many memories.
Thanks again, and I look forward to whatever you find in the future.