Author Topic: NASCAR stage racing  (Read 4560 times)

rsk1139

• Veteran
    • View Profile
NASCAR stage racing
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
Do you guys like the stage racing in NASCAR?

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
Re: NASCAR stage racing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »
Like almost all of the denizens on RaceNY I don't admit to watching NA$CAR anymore, but yes, I like stage racing.  We'll probably hear from Pissano on this as he probably watches NA$CAR nonstop.

I only wish that in addition to stage points they would add bonus points for knocking someone into the wall when they are blocking.  This might help eliminate this ridiculous "racing" strategy.

That's all I got....

Ratzso
"Today is yesterday's future"

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
Ahh...anybody know when the Daytona 200 (stage 3) starts?  I don't want to watch the heats.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Willie41

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
I haven't noticed as many mysterious debris cautions since they went to stage racing so I guess that's a plus.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:25:35 AM »
I haven't noticed as many mysterious debris cautions since they went to stage racing so I guess that's a plus.

Good point!

Stage racing, competition cautions, debris cautions, whatever.............it's all designed to close up the field, no more, no less. Due to some previously unforeseen circumstances, I wound up having to get a cable box for one of my TVs, so I lost my original gripe of not being able to get the FS1 network, the place that NASCAR sent most of it's races to. My new gripe is that they don't start the races, now, until 3PM, eastern time. I suppose that's so the "left coasters" don't have to interrupt their brunch..............so instead, we "east coasters" have to interrupt our dinner!!!

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
I've tried..I've really tried to watch this year with an open mind. First 500 I've sat down to watch start to finish in about 4 years.

Stage (heat) racing?  Some NASCAR fans tell me heats are a waste of time and meaningless. ( Meaning if you get wrecked out then I guess they would be).  What a waste. ( Plates continue to keep the body guys in business) . 

Time to think outside box I think. The original Spring Sizzler was an 80 lap affair and every lap was important. Time for the Daytona 200 to make a debut.  ;D ;D

( I'm under no illusion this will ever happen). ???

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
Shocking!!! Who da thunk Danni Pat would wreck out of he last race?

What a story. Stop DADDY.

Ratzso

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
Daytona Crash 500

Good hard blocking is making this a great spectator race..... if you like demo derby action.....

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »
Question... why would you block with 18 to go in a heat race?  Not buying that.  GD Plates

And...does NASCAR now have a spec toothpaste for the crews?  Geez.. this spec shi,,,,stuff is getting ridiculous.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
Oh well.. I can wait another 4 to watch another one.   Farce  :(

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:30 PM »
Like almost all of the denizens on RaceNY I don't admit to watching NA$CAR anymore, but yes, I like stage racing.  We'll probably hear from Pissano on this as he probably watches NA$CAR nonstop.

I only wish that in addition to stage points they would add bonus points for knocking someone into the wall when they are blocking.  This might help eliminate this ridiculous "racing" strategy.

That's all I got....

Ratzso

Too bad there isn't an accurate, fair a way to deduct points for that kind of behavior...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 07:54:06 AM »
  Too bad there isn't an accurate, fair a way to deduct points for that kind of behavior...

I agree. Watching the race leader, weaving back and forth on the straights, like a drunk driver, trying to hold everybody back, is ridiculous......

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »

I agree. Watching the race leader, weaving back and forth on the straights, like a drunk driver, trying to hold everybody back, is ridiculous......

While I don't want more judgment calls, I sure feel like a "one move" rule like open wheel has sure would save a lot of stock cars...

(You get one move in an attempt to block - any more than that is a penalty)

Ratzso

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
I thought the blockers received what they deserved in the race yesterday.  Unfortunately, many others ended up in the mess as collateral damage and lost a chance to "race," due to this new form of get-the-lead-and-block tactic that today, seems to be a part of "good hard racing."

NA$CAR seems content to let this be the show for fans and the drivers and owners seem willing to go along with it, so I don't see this changing.

Dillon didn't make the rules, but he clearly understood how to apply them.

That's all I got....

lynchmobb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:09 AM »
Does anyone think that because the cars are so much safer now, that there is no respect or thought given to wrecking someone? Has it gotten to the point that you can pull anyone out of the stands with a big bankroll & throw them in the car - no talent needed, just crash your way to the front?