Author Topic: Florida in August  (Read 3030 times)

ask0329

Florida in August
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
Heading down to Florida in August and staying in Orlando. Looks to be 3 tracks all within reason.

New Smyrna (aspahlt)
Volusia (dirt)
Bubbba Speedway (Ocala)(dirt)

Andy suggestions of the three to visit for a night? Never been to any of them.

ask0329

Re: Florida in August
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
207 views and not one person that's been to any of the three tracks to offer an opinion. This site has really gone down the *****.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
The obvious choice for pavement is New Smyrna but like you, I've never been to Bubba so I can't compare that track with the good races I've seen at Volusia.  (But this was over 10 years ago)--I'm sure it's probably different over that time period.) In your scenario, I would alternate between New Smyrna and Volusia but since you'll be in the Orlando area, it's gonna be a fairly long ride to the tracks further north.  Depending on how close Bubba is to Orlando...I'd alternate between all three!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

ask0329

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:56:10 AM »
Thanks for the input. Only get to see one track and they all look to be about an hours drive from Orlando. And all run on Saturdays.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
My opinion may not be accurate since I've only attended the ones in February!  Can't tell you for sure about the August events...Hopefully, others will chime in soon!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

first

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
Been to all 3 the last week or so. Bubba was pretty good ( you are 50feet from the track no matter where u sit.). Nss has been great all week but it’s the series week perfect track. Volushia is huge and has a lot of seats. All this week it’s been standing room only. Get there early or stand has been the rule for speedweeks. I’m guessing it would depend on the schedule the week you are down here. If it’s a weekly show I’d pick nss. If you prefer dirt try Bubba. It’s probably the better of the 2 and not a bad seat in the house

24KC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
Racing was good at both Volusia and Bubbas. But bring a pillow all start times should be followed by the phrase or there abouts.  A 7 PM start means time trials start at 7:25 first heat maybe 8.  This year Volusia was good with starts and moving the show along. Bubbas can find a way to milk a dead cow during the night. But like I said good racing both places just don't plan on being back early.  If you are staying in Orlando where ever you go leave what seems like way too early it took us 2 hours plus to go 8 miles Wednesday.

shadow21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
Just got back from Florida a few days ago. I did not visit the dirt tracks but went 2 nights to New Smyrna during the World Series. It is a great half mile and the racing was very competitive. Most of the competitors were not from Florida that week, which will not be the case so much in August. Based on what I see there every February, I'd try to take in a weekly show there if I were in town. 

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »
Hot and muggy time of year there and hurricane season but some very good drag racing tracks in the same area also.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »
Hot and muggy time of year there and hurricane season but some very good drag racing tracks in the same area also.

Yup, Gainsville, Orlando an Bradenton all come to mind...