Author Topic: HMMM! Well--this didn't take long...  (Read 3011 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
HMMM! Well--this didn't take long...
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
Less than 2 hours after the drop of the checkered flag at the NASCAR Texas Cup race, Lionel/Action collectibles website already shows pre-orders being taken for diecast replicas of the winning #4 car...and it's not even a business day!  (Maybe there's something to this time change thing after all! LOL)   :o ;D ;D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

bentracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: HMMM! Well--this didn't take long...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:09 PM »
 It's all about the $ ...

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »
As someone who has dabbled in the die-cast world for a number of years, that's not a big deal. A "pre-order", on the part of the die cast company, is simply a promise to deliver you the car at sometime in the future. I've always been a big fan of Smokey Yunick, so when NASCAR recently did their "throwback" paint schemes, and a black and gold Smokey tribute car was included in the field, Lionel offered one on a "pre-order" basis. Initially, I was interested.

I looked at the wording of the advertisement, which was published 6-8 weeks ago, and the "scheduled delivery" of the model car was sometime in early 2018. In a different vein, there are also some less than scrupulous die cast manufacturers that use the "pre-order" tactic to gauge the interest in a replica, before they make the investment to manufacture it. Therefore, a "pre-order" doesn't really guarantee you anything. For instance, Exoto, a company that produces some really fine, highly detailed 1/18 scale die cast cars, began to offer models of the famous Chaparrals, from the 1960 CanAm race series. I bought a couple of these, as I've always been a fan of those cars.

Problem was, Exoto didn't pay Chaparral the royalties that were owed, and Jim Hall dragged Exoto through the US court system, which then  prevented Exoto from importing any more Chaparral replicas. I mention this, because I have had a "pre-order" in place, for a Chaparral 2D model, for 14-15 years, and I HIGHLY doubt that I'll ever see the car arrive in my mailbox.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
I'm VERY familiar with the concept of "pre-order"-- I've obtained many such pieces for my collection in that manner.  I currently have a few Action pieces in that status; and yes, I realize there's no guarantee that they will ever be produced.  That's happened to me, as well!

The scheme which Harvick raced in was already in "pre-order" status.  But a "raced winning version" is usually in different packaging and maybe even different markings so as to simulate "damage" while competing and the mimicking of miniature confetti mixed into the paint;  As you're probably aware, some have been offered with real confetti used in Victory Lane.  Or even a cut-up piece of a tire supposedly used on the car on the way to victory that particular day.

Your example of the Chaparral is very different as the real cars raced much further back than the date that Exoto (a highly respected model maker which offer outstanding detail(s) in their releases)--I have a few of those as well but the prices are HUGE!).  I'm a big Mark Donohue fan; his 1973 Can-Am series championship Porsche 917-30k was produced L-O-N-G after the car had been put in the Stuttgart factory museum.  At first, that 1/18th scale model was also available as a "pre-order" but it was produced much later than the season in which it had been raced. (30+ years later!)

My original point was how FAST this version showed up on the site! THIS is a different story than the normal process where the existence of a car in "win" versions announced by Action where the version was offered for "pre-order" within 2 hours of the victory!  Updated on a "non-business" day seems pretty unusual in my opinion!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:42:23 AM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
Sweet!  I'm considering placing an order for this as Kevin Harvick is my second favorite NA$CAR driver.  All of the other's are tied for first.

I want to know if this is going to be an accurate representation of the official NA$CAR, France Cup, licensed, Collector Grade, Numbered, Large Volume, Limited Edition, Keepsake, 1/37 Scale, Die Cast, Monster Energy Series, Stewart Haas Racing, #4 Ford Fusion Performance, Mobil 1, Busch Beer, Haas Automation, Good Year, Jimmy Johns, Outback Steak House, Crybaby, Hunt Brothers Pizza, Morton Buildings, Greenlee, Textron, New Era, 3M, Moog, Mahle, racecar with flattened and shredded tires, destroyed rear quarter panels and residual pieces of tire and track debris after the time-honored burn out as it limped and thumped into victory circle with the omnipresent bare midriff Monster Energy girls?

If not, I think I'll spend the money on beer and a new Danica tee shirt...

Ratzso

“I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.”
"Today is yesterday's future"

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
Beer is always a good option...