Author Topic: Is weekly racing dead?  (Read 4414 times)

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Is weekly racing dead?
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
After experiencing Jukasa's big race I would prefer going to big races rather than weekly races with 10 to 16 cars per class

Is weekly racing dead with the normal purses?

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is weekly racing dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
I think weekly racing on asphalt is dying, mainly because of low purses and rising costs..Most dirt tracks seem to be doing well in NYS,but the numbers on the pavement side have diminished..Oswego added a bunch of money to the back half of the purse this year in the super class,and now guys are buying/building cars and the car count has risen to full field status..This rise in car count naturally brings in more fans as the grandstand has been noticeably on the upswing this year..
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

DPackman_PR

• Champion
  • Full time supporter of EVERY racetrack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:33:58 AM »
We averaged 20.4 SST Modifieds (our premier division) throughout the duration of our 10 event (4 events were rained out) season. Our support divisions have also grown from last year to the current season averaging 13.4 Super Stocks (up from 7ish last season), 11.3 4 Cylinders (up from 10ish last season), and 9.0 6 Cylinders (up from 4ish last season). I would also like to mention that the most wins any single driver has had is 4 (Jacob Gustafson #66 4 Cylinder), and a few drivers have had 3 wins each.

It's been a fun season with a lot of different drivers winning compared to our last few seasons. 6 different winners in the SST Mods, 4 in the Supers, 3 in the 6 Cyl, and 6 in the 4 Cyl.

But why drive out to dairy country...
Dakota J. Packman

Check out the all new OFFICIAL Wyoming County International Speedway Facebook page
at www.Facebook.com/TheOfficialWCIS !

And our new Official website at www.TheBullringWCIS.com !

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:27:45 AM »
Dakota.. I think you have done a phenomenal job at WCIS this year..your car counts have been great and I think WCIS provides great family value..I’m a firm believer that your premier class,should hold your biggest field.Using social media,you have promoted your speedway and have kept the racing fans informed with updates..Well done!!
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

DPackman_PR

• Champion
  • Full time supporter of EVERY racetrack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »
Dakota.. I think you have done a phenomenal job at WCIS this year..your car counts have been great and I think WCIS provides great family value..I’m a firm believer that your premier class,should hold your biggest field.Using social media,you have promoted your speedway and have kept the racing fans informed with updates..Well done!!

Thank you! Takes the full team to make it happen!
Dakota J. Packman

Check out the all new OFFICIAL Wyoming County International Speedway Facebook page
at www.Facebook.com/TheOfficialWCIS !

And our new Official website at www.TheBullringWCIS.com !

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
I went out to Perry last Saturday night and although I prefer dirt tracks the racing at Perry was some of the best I have seen any where this year. The track is really racy, and that can not be said of most pavement tracks. You guys have it going there.

Rp22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
Wcis is in my opinion the best ran track in the area. Other tracks like Holland need to take notes.

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »
I will support Perry if and when Spencer closes for good and literally become apple valley again even though it is a 2 hour drive one way.

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
is weekly racing dead to supporting classes having the option to go on tour back in the day it was just the Wheelen Mods or Busch North or do we have too many classes?

In the future it could either be touring classes with a big weekend of racing at one track with larger purses or eliminate classes and touring divisions and go to 4 total divisions if you want weekly

Michael Waltrip said it best for racing to be back we have to put the "stock" back in nascar and Dave Heitzhause said per video on hillside speedway fb having an engineering background helps

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
I think all tracks have too many classes.I grew up watching 2 classes asphalt mods and strickey stocks and that was it.The strickly stocks were to get started and gain experience and then you moved up to a modified.I don't want to go to the track and feel like im punching in for an 8 hour shift at work.I see some tracks with 7 divisions which is way too much.

Rp22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Well the American way is giving people more for their money but at the end of the day when you have 5 classes of cars and only 5 drivers in each race what is the point. I remember when I was a kid they had trucks late models mods and chargers with at least 15 to 25 cars in each race. That was quality now each track has different rules they require drivers to buy ***** at their track and I believe the car industry is ruining the chance for drivers. Back in the late 90s and even early 2000s it was so much easier to get a decent 8cyl car for cheap. They were everywhere. In another 10 years an eight cylinder car is just simply impossible to get or afford to tear apart and gut to become a race car and 4cyl racing is nowhere near the same

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
Eriez and stateline has 6 or so classes with 20+ cars in each.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »
Cut & paste from an email from a friend.  His words:

That's the main reason I didn't race this year I have one car in the trailer done, ready to go practice, the other on stands with all fresh stuff,money secured for all race fuel and 30 tires to start this season and couldn't get enough good people, maybe 5 which I would pay there way in food,good beverages with an RV for comfort....don't know what to do, have the Same problem in my car restoration business, tons of good work and every one in the shop is 50 or older, sad ?

GD shame the game dies because of lack of interest.  The techno babies don't have ambition past their thumbs.  :-\
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »
Cut & paste from an email from a friend.  His words:

That's the main reason I didn't race this year I have one car in the trailer done, ready to go practice, the other on stands with all fresh stuff,money secured for all race fuel and 30 tires to start this season and couldn't get enough good people, maybe 5 which I would pay there way in food,good beverages with an RV for comfort....don't know what to do, have the Same problem in my car restoration business, tons of good work and every one in the shop is 50 or older, sad ?

GD shame the game dies because of lack of interest.  The techno babies don't have ambition past their thumbs.  :-\

millennial's dont want to get their hands dirty and when men start wearing their hair in a bun i question them being men

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 10:04:29 PM »
There's a lot of factors economy being#1.  You can say all you want about the"70s 80s and 90s".  It's gone done and over with rules today are just about the same as they were back then and so are the # of classes. Holland in the hayday raced late models, pro modified, charger, challenger, and figure 8 so that hasn't changed.  Drivers I feel have dictated rule books to get what they want, which in turn has made the cars expensive.  Promoters offer a stagnant purse at some tracks and also some mark up way to much on tires,fuel, and even the prices of food.  Perry is doing what they are doing because there people skills are above and beyond and that tiny bullring is so racy it offers what others can only dream of.  And the drive out is also so nice and peaceful.   JMO