Author Topic: WNY Asphalt Auto Racing  (Read 6746 times)

Tigerpaw333

• Champion
    • View Profile
WNY Asphalt Auto Racing
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
With the current state of  WNY Asphalt auto racing in this area, i was thinking about how would having ROC become the sanctioning body for this area similar to how DIRT, or NASCAR is for Asphalt. Out of all the Asphalt tracks in the area the only one that is in good shape is Wyoming county. But as a whole i think this idea would help with building back up the asphalt side. Running three or four divisions. Have all similar rules so you can go to any track in the area to race. The four division i would say run are 4 Cylinder, street stocks, super stocks, and sportsman. Keep the Midgets,tour modified and late models as touring only divisions. Can also have tour races for the local track division but used it as extra distance bigger pay events. Not sure what the logistics is to be able to have something like this done. But something needs to be done to keep asphalt racing alive in WNY
Dirt: Ransomville Speedway, Genesse Speedway Limerock
Asphalt: Lancaster  Hillside

dirtkart11

• View Profile
    • RODGERS RACING PAGE-OFFICIAL WNY TQ MIDGET CLUB PAGE
Re: WNY Asphalt Auto Racing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:24:50 PM »
That would be a wonderful idea. Don’t get me wrong, I love Wyoming County but the track is so ruff that the TQ’s cannot run there, it is downright dangerous  and the ROC will not there anylonger either. I really wish they would fix the track so we (TQ’s) can run there again. Great track size, friendly management and fans!!!

Racingfanatic12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
I am interested to see what happens at chemung this year. There has been an extreme amount of effort put in by Ellen and Ray hodge. There has been a lot of sweat and frustration that him and his wife have been up against trying to put a facility together for a season with not a lot of outside help and I have heard some of the struggles first hand they have had to deal with and I got to give them a lot of credit.  They have put there money where there mouths and are trying to turn things around having 17 or 18 events on the schedule and I heard roughly around 19 sport mods committed this year.  Granted a couple of the other classes car counts may struggle but if that car count is accurate I think that is impressive.  To get to your point yes the tracks need to work together and have the same rules though I agree.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:20 PM »
To Tigerpaws point the ROC kind of does set the statewide mark. Evans Mills  while running the 602 crate in their Sportmods allows builts using the ROC rules to also compete. In this day or dwindling car counts it only makes sense.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
I just have to say that there is a different reason the ROC no longer races at Wyoming(Perry) and it is not because of a rough track.I have asked the guys at the Perry booth at the Motorsports Expo and have never got an honest answer.I used to attend all the great ROC mod shows there dating back to when George Kent was the one to beat and Andrew Harpell owned the ROC series.I think something happened $money wise or some other political reason which is a well kept secret.I did attend one race where the track came apart in turn 4 on a super hot day but that was a one time deal.I know at least one modified hit the first turn wall when a piece of asphalt lodged in his steering system.Thats it discuss folks.

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
$$.....Perry is an American Racer tire track and the ROC is a Hoosier tire series....

2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

Racingfanatic12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 09:36:15 AM »
Idk if it's all based on the tire per say chemung and spencer were both american racer tracks and roc went to them the past few years

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:57 AM »
I think KT has hit the nail on the head also Perry modified races don't draw enough fans to pay the purse. And if the weather is not calling for 75 and Sunny it's a lose-lose situation

DPackman_PR

• Champion
  • Full time supporter of EVERY racetrack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
I think KT has hit the nail on the head also Perry modified races don't draw enough fans to pay the purse. And if the weather is not calling for 75 and Sunny it's a lose-lose situation

What's that saying we used? "The greatest show no one saw"    :D
Dakota J. Packman

Check out the all new OFFICIAL Wyoming County International Speedway Facebook page
at www.Facebook.com/TheOfficialWCIS !

And our new Official website at www.TheBullringWCIS.com !

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
The fact remains that Perry is one of the best tracks around to watch full blown modified racing period.The grandstands were always packed which leads me back to my original post that for some other reason the ROC mods no longer race there and it doesn't have to do with tire brands!!

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
Perry is the greatest track to watch a full blown mod show in the area hands down. Unlike at Lancaster the guy without a big motor stands a chance. I've never seen a bad mud race there

DPackman_PR

• Champion
  • Full time supporter of EVERY racetrack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
The fact remains that Perry is one of the best tracks around to watch full blown modified racing period.The grandstands were always packed which leads me back to my original post that for some other reason the ROC mods no longer race there and it doesn't have to do with tire brands!!

You have to remember what was happening with the economy around the 2009 season (last RoC Mod Races). No one had money to do anything, it wasn’t a fallout between Harpell and Jim. We were down to 500 (compared to 2,000 pr so in the years where the stands were packed) or so people in the stands and struggling to get 20ish cars for those events. Unfortunately now that things have turned around for the better, the weekly racing here has improved so much that running one off or two off Modified shows here seemed better. Sadly the weather hurt us in 2017 with the events and we had to pull back temporarily.
Dakota J. Packman

Check out the all new OFFICIAL Wyoming County International Speedway Facebook page
at www.Facebook.com/TheOfficialWCIS !

And our new Official website at www.TheBullringWCIS.com !

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »
And also as Dakota has said with local weekly racing doing as well as it has been at Wyoming county.  Do they need to potentially take a bath with not getting a decent crowd?  Doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint. 

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
Your forgetting the post ROC era had AR sponsored races. They had good car counts , decent fan counts but the purse had to be subsidized.

When AR pulled the $$$ for the race, it went away. 
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

BBR27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Having been a spectator since Civic Stadium days , I have watched races at Perry, Holland and even was there opening day at Lancaster when they were all dirt. I have been  behind the wheel myself for the last ten years.  I have been on all three surfaces at these WNY tracks , I suspect the first track to repave and resurface will become the premier WNY asphalt track.  Long live WNY stockcar racing.

Driver Ninja