Author Topic: Aero Season is Here...  (Read 2249 times)

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
Aero Season is Here...
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »

Good Citizens of Racing New York,

I was flipping though the channels trying to find a good home cooking or baking show or a home improvement show with tips on how to find a trophy wife, buy houses for massive amounts of money, flip them, lose money but not really give a rat's hind end 'cause you still have a beautiful wife.

In the flipping, I accidently came across a channel with some racin' reminding me that we are into Aero Season.  Aero Season falls in between Winter and Spring and is the time of year when all of the France Cup stars go to Daytona speed weeks and talk about Aero Push and other racing clichés.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation hearing the drivers, crews, announcers and other pundits regurgitate all of the esoteric terms that help describe the racing action. 

The cars were barely off pit road for practice and I heard the term, "Aero Push!"  I fully expect by the time the 500 is over next Sunday, I'll have heard the full gambetto of "we" clichés such as:

"We did what we hadda' do." (after "we" punted someone from the lead)
"We were the car to beat.  Until we got taken out.:
"We was just ridin' waitin' to go the front when we lost a tire."
"We was just tryin' to loosen him up." (after causing a 37 car wreck)

That's all I got....

J. Langford Ratzazonni

"Today is yesterday's future"

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Aero Season is Here...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:02:45 PM »
Rathole,

As usual, an astute assessment.  Well done.  First, let me say that I did not watch the race yesterday. I normally do not watch, and then comment later as if I had.  Just can't watch it.  It's like watching weeds grow in Elmira.  But I was disappointed and constipated to see and hear Jeff Gordon making excuses for Jimmie's Johnson wrecking 85% of the field on the last lap.  He came off like a total Hendrick Homer.  I'd also like to astutely point out that this is about the 5th or 12th year in a row that whoever NASCAR wanted to win the pole - won the pole.  Total fix.  I'm flummoxed.    I am attending my first Daytona 500 on Sunday and might actually watch the race.  Although I didn't see the race yesterday, at this point it looks like 39 cars running around the top of the track with one poor slob desperately trying the inside lane and moving backwards like he has it in reverse.  Then a massive pile-up of burning, blood and urine stained metal.   Hopefully the aero problems don't result in drivers or fans being sexually assaulted, dismembered, disemboweled and/or eviscerated.  We'll see.  Say your prayers. 

Pisano
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:10 PM »
For the 10 years I worked there, I met a guy who claimed he correctly predicted the pole winners for each race...he had a system down that included historical data, huge hunches and more than a little luck to figure things out!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:50:29 AM »
I predict that JJ isn't going to be around for too long, in Sunday's 500. Since he's managed to take out someone in the first two races of the season, by "mis-judging" where the front of his racecar is, someone will "park him" early in the race, before he has the chance to do any serious damage to the rest of the field.

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
Three Cup races so far.....Three parades.....Worst excuse for racing I've ever seen in all my years.....that is all....
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
Hey Pissano,

What KT said X2.  After watching the Duel's last night, I'm going to suggest that you spend your time at Daytona tailgating in the parking lot as there's not going to be a lot to see on the track other than a single file parade at speed.  Would also be a good chance to try and get Joe Nemechek's autograph.

You might better spend the time drinking beer and making friends and new enemies. With about 10 laps to go, get in your seat and find out who is willing to block, who is willing to punt someone out of the way in order to win.

My pick to win?  Seven time.  After his apology and the win in the Bash Clash, he said, "I'm here to win races."  Refreshing to not hear the old, "we" crap. 

Hmm.  Sounds to me like he understands the aero rules.....

That's all I got....

J. Langford Ratzsokowski

"Today is yesterday's future"

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
OK.  I am down here in Orlando.  Taking a shuttle to the race and then bass fishing on Monday.  This race kind of looks like s shzit show.  Who cares about any of these guys?  My wife is going to kill me.  This could be the most boring race in the annals of racing. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »
…..This race kind of looks like s shzit show.  Who cares about any of these guys?  My wife is going to kill me.  This could be the most boring race in the annals of racing.

I hear you!  I read the article in today's (Sunday) D&C paper, and they were raving about the "diversity" in today's field of new, young drivers. HUH???  Diversity?? I want to hear about their actual race wins, not where they came from, and how well they do on the "simulator".....

I then watched the rerun of the last 30 laps, or so, of the Xfinity race, oops, I mean parade. Snooze fest....