Author Topic: For Modified Fans  (Read 16843 times)

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Epic Ventures Motorsports Group
Re: For Modified Fans
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
And for those that haven't messaged me yet, Yes, that lower picture proves I can wreck cars while going in a straight line (I think I have learned to stop doing that).
Tom Fecteau
I've got a lot of stories and a few of them are even true. I've just forgotten which are which.

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
Just a short back story. Prior to my meeting Terry and Doug at Spencer in 2000, they were already on track for a long racing carear. Terry was a typical teenager, gaining the attention of the local police when behind the wheel of his street machine. Doug had done some drag racing at Spencer but converted to modifieds while helping his friend Jim Alborn (#11). After Jim stopped racing, Doug worked as a track offcial in the tech barn and brought Terry along to show him the ropes (or maybe keep him out of trouble?).

It finally was time to get in to "big car" racing and the father son team started in the Street Stock class where Terry won now and then, and battled for a championship just coming up a little short. Racing was now their passion and they moved up to the Grand American Modified class, learning, improving, and Terry was developing a driving skill that could take advantage of their limited racing funds yet compete for wins.
Tom Fecteau
I've got a lot of stories and a few of them are even true. I've just forgotten which are which.

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:09 PM »
Terry reaches his dream of being a Modified Driver

September 2001, on the last night of racing at Spencer Speedway, Terry purchases the Kirk Rutherford Sportsman, takes it back to his shop in Sodus, they pull the motor and Kirk and crew return home. At first the plan was to build a Sportsman but the cost to upgrade the chassis and motor to a full blown weekly modified isn't extravegant and instantly plans change. Over the winter the altered Troyer chassis is brought up to 1996 design standards and an all new power plant is built. So in 2002 Terry is running his modified each week at Spencer Speedway going wheel to wheel against a few of his boyhood heroes.

The year would bring highs like a heat win and top 5 finishes but would also come with lows, hard wrecks and falling just a few points short of rookie of the year. Terry and Doug would venture to Oswego Speedway at season's end and make their first attempt at qualifying for the prestigous Sunoco Race of Champions Modified 200, falling just a little short. Having raced since 1982 it took no time to head back to the shop for winter maintenance and ideas for raising their performance for the 2003 season.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:34:11 PM by Torpedotom »
Tom Fecteau

68mustangfb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
ttt
Mods,  Pa. possie; 410 sprint
RACING !

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
Herbie, thanks for the bump, getting help from fans is a great feeling. Win loose or draw I'm hoping that I get to meet many of the fans I'm hearing from in all our messaging.

Your support is having a measurable impact. Champion isn't telling us the actual vote count but we can measure "views" of Terry's 2 min video and we can measure "comments" on our entry page:
http://contest.alwaysachampion.com/contests/showentry/1011640
And compared to where we ranked at the start, we have climbed in to the top 40 and top 50 respectively. That's passing a lot of other teams.

And there are more indications we are being of interst in general. There have been more "likes" on our Team's FaceBook page - Epic Ventures Motorsports Group - about 14 new followers. Our YouTube "views" is rapidly approaching 3,000 and I am surprised how many folks have viewed the 3 min video on why I decided to team up with Terry and Doug.

You folks are making this enjoyable and I hope I can keep this interesting and informative as we approach the half way flags next Thursday. Please stick with us, vote each day, and let your friends know - I continue to be shocked by people that I thought wouldn't be interested who tell me they will help. People are good.

Tom Fecteau

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
Folks have asked about Terry's accomplishments leading up to his jump in to the modifieds. Here's a quick summary:

Microds & Quarter Midgets 1982-1992: (started at 6 years old)
    (6) Track Championships
    (8) State Championships

Street Stock & Grand American Modified/Sportsman 1993-2001:
    (17) Feature Wins at two tracks (Spencer & Wyoming County)

1995 Sportsman Modified Rookie of the Year-Spencer Speedway
Tom Fecteau

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
The smiley face is nice but I would have preferred "8" State Championships.
Tom Fecteau

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »
The 2012 ROC schedule looks possible for a full assault. Finishing in the money in the Search for a Champion contest would go a long towards covering the high travel costs and practice tires as we travel to new tracks. Thanks for your support on the first two weeks, please remember to vote through the 5th.
Tom Fecteau

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Up while I travel for business.

Anyone have a Terry story to share (one that is OK to tell in public)? I will continue the story of our adventures together this weekend.
Tom Fecteau

paperboy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Best of luck with this, Tom.  You got my vote.
Mike Harris

Oilman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
Got my vote from Colorado Tom...you guys are some of the hardest working teams out there.  Best wishes and good luck.
Chuck Dick
"Lead, Follow or Get Out of My Way"

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Thanks Paperboy and Oilman, we appreciated each of our many supporters. You keep our spirits up.

Re-posting the main theme as we are on a new page for any new viewers....

Champion Auto Parts is currently running THE SEARCH FOR A CHAMPION contest from now through March 25th 2012. Over 340 racers of all kinds submitted 2 min videos describing themselves and showcasing some of their racing as they vie for the $50,000 Grand Prize. The entry list was finalized on Dec 31st and the contest has now entered the voting stage kind of like American Idol.

Our team submitted a video for ROC Asphalt Modified Series and NASCAR Weekly Modified driver Terry Cheetham http://contest.alwaysachampion.com/contests/showentry/1011640 and we are asking modified fans to help not only our team but to shed some light on our beloved ground pounding modified class. Most of the asphalt category entries are drag racing, road racing, late model or midgets/microds.

As we may not be known to some of you, I created a brief video describing why I decided to team up with and give my support to Terry over the past 6 years.

Tom's Support for Terry's Racing Goals and the Always A Champion Contest 

My Support for Terry's Racing Goals and the Always A Champion Contest

Terry has finished in the top 10 in his last three Oswego ROC 200 events and like any race team, we are always striving to raise our performance level even further. As the saying goes - victory is getting close enough to taste and with just a little more daily voting assistance (or as often as you are willing to devote time) our shot at victory is within sight. Having personally been a fan of modifieds since the late 60's, I think it would be outstanding if we could bring some additional notoriety to NE Modified racing through all the press and media coverage that comes with a victory in this contest. Thank you for your time and you may re-post this in other forums you feel would be beneficial. Again, thanks -Tom Fecteau EVMG

You can also find Epic Ventures Motorsports Group on FaceBook, the web, Twitter and as seen above - on YouTube

Also, special thanks to Spencer Speedway track photographers Ron Rigby and independent photographer Jayfish, and Topguncanada00 for his Oswego video clips.
Tom Fecteau

68mustangfb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
up
Mods,  Pa. possie; 410 sprint
RACING !

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
NFL PARTY TIME and SEARCH FOR A CHAMPION idea:
Several of us will be getting together with friends to watch the NFL Play Offs this weekend and the Super Bowl on Sunday Feb 5th. I would ask that you take only 2 minutes to tell the group you are with about what we are doing - fighting for a $50,000 prize. Then ask "who would be willing to help with a vote today?" Have them use their smart phones to create an account and vote and it's back to the game party.

After they vote, or as people are leaving, remind them that a simple "one click" vote each day would be appreciated. That's it, what do you think? Any other ideas to spread the word when you are with friends?

It's only 2 weeks to go to make the round 1 cut and every bit of support, like the pics, makes a difference.
Thank you everyone. -Terry & Tom
Tom Fecteau

80racing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »
ttt