Author Topic: DIRTcar officials have suspended legendary dirt late model ace Scott Bloomquist  (Read 11923 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
FOR DISCUSSION:

SARVER, Pa. — DIRTcar officials have suspended legendary dirt late model ace Scott Bloomquist for not participating in random drug testing on Friday during Firecracker 100 weekend at Lernerville Speedway.

Bloomquist, 54, was one of 16 drivers randomly selected by a blind draw completed by a member of the Lernerville track crew. According to a DIRTcar Racing penalty report, Bloomquist had five hours to complete the test after not being able to provide a sample during initial check in with Drug Free Sport.

The other 15 drivers completed the sampling, with three drivers requiring two attempts to provide an adequate sample.

World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series Director Matt Curl made multiple attempts to assist Bloomquist to the testing area. Drug Free Sport and series officials set an 11 p.m. deadline for Bloomquist to meet with Drug Free Sport officials and provide his sample, but he failed to arrive by the deadline.

Drug Free Sport, the organization that oversees World Racing Group’s substance abuse policy, classified his absence as a “test refusal” according to the DIRTcar penalty report.

As a result, Bloomquist has been suspended for 90 days from all DIRTcar competition and fined $1,000. He can reduce the suspension to 60 days should he complete an alcohol or drug education program. He must also pass two drug tests during the final 14 days of his suspension.

Bloomquist’s suspension comes on the heels of his controversial victory in the June 9 Dirt Late Model Dream at Ohio’s Eldora Speedway. He was selected for a random drug test, but fell in the mud after a rain storm and was taken to the hospital on June 8, causing him to miss his drug test.

Tom Deery, the World Racing Group’s president and chief operating officer, told SPEED SPORT that all signs indicated the Eldora incident was a fluke situation and that Bloomquist would go back into the random testing pool right away.

“Drug Free has said that, obviously, the next opportunity we have to test Scott, we will. He’ll fall right back into the system. This doesn’t give him a get out of jail card. He’s back into the system now,” Deery told SPEED SPORT.

Bloomquist told DirtonDirt.com that he plans to undergo rotator cuff surgery to fix the injured shoulder from the fall at Eldora. The surgery is expected to keep him out of action at least three months.

Bloomquist is second in the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series standings with the next race scheduled June 30 at Ohio’s Portsmouth Raceway Park. Bloomquist competed in and finished fourth in last weekend’s 100-lap Clash at the Mag Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series race at Mississippi’s Magnolia Motor Speedway.

He explained that after a dismal showing in his heat race on Friday night at Lernerville Speedway that saw him spin on lap two, he told his team to pack up and leave the track. He said he was unaware that he’d be required to come back and complete the drug test and by the time he found out he had to return, it was too late.

He said he plans to continue to field his No. 0 dirt late model in select events while he recovers from surgery with a driver that will be announced later.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
I wonder how much this really matters since he runs mostly the Lucas Oil series.
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
I would hope that Lucas has him tested also.

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
If you look back into the archives I don't think this is the first time he has done this I'm almost positive he was also suspended in the past for failing drug tests

ask0329

Meh who cars. Good for him. Weed is legal in a bunch of states and medicinally in over half. Assuming thats maybe what he could of had in him. Not a big deal. These sanctions will have to review their policies sooner or later and get with the times. Its wrong that someone could smoke a week ago be clean for 7 days, go race and fail a test and have their career ruined when they where not under the influence.

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I do not agree with you attitude about DRUGS. Anyone perfotmong at the level of a racing driver must be clear of any drugs, I ask.. Why should mylife be put in jeapardy because of anuther driver's lifestyle!  My God,, where has raxing GONE when someoine thinks its ok to race with any type of DRUGS in their system! Bloomquist just needs to grow up.

ask0329

Im sorry but I fully disagree. It can take up to 30 days for Marijuana to come out of your system. That does not mean its still effecting your actions. I think we need to remove this stigma of whats legal and not. Walk through the pits and ask how many are on high blood pressure medication? Are you any more or less safe in a car with 10 other drivers that are all on HBP and could have a heart attack in the car at any moment? Cause lets face it, racing gets the blood pumping, adreneline. you already have HBP, sure your on meds but your heart rate just went through the roof cause your doing 120 mph door to doo. I'd rather be out there with the guy that smoked the joint 20 days ago but would still fail the drug test. What about antidepressants with all of their side effects. Do i want to be on the track with someone whos all hopped up on Prozac, Welbutrin or any of them other drugs that make you crap out your guts, puke in your helmet and cause suicidal thoughts? or the guy that smoked a joint 20 days ago that is experience zero effects but could still fail a drug test. Lets use some common sense here folks.

Yes I full agree nobody should be in a racecar if your drunk, stoned or just blew a few lines. Never. but to say you fail a drug test, your wasted in the racecar is just false assumptions.

rsk1139

• Veteran
    • View Profile
About 15 years ago my brother was fired from a good job because he had smoked a joint at a party. They did a random drug test.

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
NO,, any drugs in your body or blood system are very bad for a racing driver, Alcohal in your system is bad for memory and judgement, these are pure meficak facts, I am not a doctor but I have talked with a few and they all said the same thong...drugs in your system are not good especially for racing. It is sad to be discussing this here,,, I have raced for many years in both Canada and the US,, I have seen drug use over those years in racing,,, it was NEVER good, I love racing..its a true SPORT,,, people do die,,, but DRUGS have NO PLACE IN THE SPORT! Racing cars is NOT like baseball, ect,, ect..hockey.... your statement about all drugs being in druvers systems is unfair,,, I doubt that you are a doctor, your statements are unfair, unprovern and quite negative, I disagree with your comments about drugs and wonder about your past racing expiriences,,,,, PS// I have raced for more than 30 years,,, I do beleive I know the racing sport,

Rp22

• View Profile
Dan19n your an ***** just cuz it's in his system doesn't mean it's affecting him. I guess in your case anyone who drinks a beer the night before can't race either cuz alcohol stays in your urine for 3 to 4 days. Just cuz a crack head can pass a drug test after 5 days and it takes someone who was simply smoking a dubby 30 days. It's unfair period. You can snort lines and be clean in 3 days. I would much rather be out there with a pot head than a junkie

Rp22

• View Profile
Sorry Idi ot is a bad word. Dan u need to think out of the box and not be so concealed in your ways. I'm sure lots of people you know smoke pot and you probably don't even know

ask0329

Dan your 100% wrong on this issue. Just because its in your system, does not mean it is having adverse effects on you. Science has proven that. As for my racing experience, not that i need to justify it to you but grew up going to the track. Started helping a dirt mod sb/bb team around 2000 for several years. I have owned and driven my own car for 7+ years and are currently building a new car.

I do agree with you 100%, drugs have no place on the track. Nobody should be under the influence on the track. But if its in your system its not an issue.

I see you glossed over my comments on high blood pressure medication, smoking cessation drugs and anti depressants. Do you happen to be on any of them?

Orange18

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I am so tired of this stupid argument. I am with 0329. Unless you have smoked pot you need to pull your head out of the sand. Our government and a lot of folks endorse the insanity of Alcohol yet it is a social disaster. How many people die or are maimed on the roads each day. Family's RIPPED apart by alcoholism. If we had a race track full of drunk people what would happen? The cops would have to come. What would happen if we had a race track full of stoned people. NOTHING. Everyone is walking around taking some b#ll sh$t drug our government endorses (promoted by the big Drug Company's), Zanax, etc, etc,. I do not endorse anyone on the track under the influence of anything. I am just tired of the hypocrisy, the insanity that weed is so evil and alcohol is RIGHT.

Orange18

• Veteran
    • View Profile
They want to take away my guns to solve sensless deaths by deranged killers but no one wants to ban Budwiser. People are killed by the hundreds every day on our roads yet no mention of a ban on alcohol. The judge that sentences a unfortunate soul to jail  for growing some weed in his back yard so he can relax, goes home and throws back 3-4 Manhattans. Hypocrisy !!

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
lively discussion! I am quite surprised at the posts in favor of drugs being ok in your system. Not that I am perfect,, I drank heavily in my early years,, but never raced while under the influence,, no doubt I had much alcohol still in my system. But as we age and learn we understand racing better, NO drugs should be in your system that means the ones I didn't mention. How can I be clear?  Why are such people thinking its ok to match drugs with racing? I have seen the effects of alcohol and other drugs in racing, on friends families and lifestyle... it wasn't good. MY feeligs are that no drug has any place in racing,, Very sorry it does not agree with yours,  your opinions are only yours and mine are only mine,,,, drugs of any kind have no plsce in racing...I am very lucky to have raced most of my life,,,, motorcycles, boats (outboards and Inboards) sports cars, 600sprints, gokarts. 395sprints  and I have competed in Clay target shooting events sincee I was 8 yrs old. I know competition and love it,,,,, there is no room for drugs,