Author Topic: Nothing new here! Many raceny fans have been predicting this for years!!!  (Read 9148 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:47:29 AM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
They don't listen, haven't been listening for awhile now because the Madison Ave crowd has there ear and ( cha ching$$$) is the sound they like.

"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
They don't listen, haven't been listening for awhile now because the Madison Ave crowd has there ear and ( cha ching$$$) is the sound they like.

Their "golden goose eggs" are getting extinct...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Modules

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I said this on a twitter report and i'll say it here. NASCAR kicked it's roots to the curb to get in bed with Corporate America. Now Corporate America is slowly kicking NASCAR to the curb.  Short tracks are what made NASCAR and they dumped them for a bunch of 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks that are as exciting as watching paint dry.  NASCAR can try all these gimmicks it wants but at the end of the day the only thing that is going to bring the fan base back is to get back to it's roots and eliminate a bunch of the 1.5 mile races for short track races. 

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
I said this on a twitter report and i'll say it here. NASCAR kicked it's roots to the curb to get in bed with Corporate America. Now Corporate America is slowly kicking NASCAR to the curb.  Short tracks are what made NASCAR and they dumped them for a bunch of 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks that are as exciting as watching paint dry.  NASCAR can try all these gimmicks it wants but at the end of the day the only thing that is going to bring the fan base back is to get back to it's roots and eliminate a bunch of the 1.5 mile races for short track races.

Agree 100%
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile

Agree 100%

I agree with both you guys.  Here are some solutions: 

1.  Right about now the most interesting tracks are the road courses.  Put a couple more of those on the schedule.
2.  Whack out a second race on the same track.  You get one race at your track during the year and that's it including Charlotte and Daytona. 
3.  Find a female and African American driver than can actually win a race or at least be competitive once in a while. 
4.  Cut the living hell out of the costs. Drastic cuts. 
5.  Cut out 25% of the races overall.  Too many races.  They are not special.
6.  Consider handicapping the races.  For example - if you are a single car team you get a weight break.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG

Agree 100%

I agree with both you guys.  Here are some solutions: 

1.  Right about now the most interesting tracks are the road courses.  Put a couple more of those on the schedule.
2.  Whack out a second race on the same track.  You get one race at your track during the year and that's it including Charlotte and Daytona. 
3.  Find a female and African American driver than can actually win a race or at least be competitive once in a while. 
4.  Cut the living hell out of the costs. Drastic cuts. 
5.  Cut out 25% of the races overall.  Too many races.  They are not special.
6.  Consider handicapping the races.  For example - if you are a single car team you get a weight break.   

While I agree with the road course addition--NASCAR's solution seems to favor so-named "rovals"--traditional ovals with a makeshift road course.  A "real" road course has elevation changes combined with challenging right and left turns.  Currently, NASCAR has run Xfinity races at both Road America and Mid-Ohio (and the Trucks at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park)--formerly called Mosport. But all probably wouldn't work out weather-wise due to the Chase races occurring towards the end of the season.  There are some road courses located in the south such as VIR (beautiful setting!) and Barber Motorsports Park (outside Birmingham AL), Road Atlanta and Roebling in GA--Most of those (if not all) are not wide enough for Stock Cars.  One that might accommodate the larger cars could be Sebring--but it's raced mostly on a former airstrip and is quite bumpy and not conducive to highly competitive racing.  If I had a vote, it would be COTA (Circuit Of The Americas) that was recently built and operating...it was built using gobs of money and has all the amenities needed to conduct a race that's spectator friendly and challenging to the teams.  The foreign tracks which also held Xfinity races (Montreal and Mexico City) were near-financial disasters and dismissed by NASCAR as viable venues.  Existing tracks like Auto Club Speedway, Phoenix, Iowa, Pocono, IMS and Homestead-Miami feature "rovals"(some of which might also work.  It pains me to say that The Glen would probably not be a likely place (again, due to possible weather-related issues...)

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
I get a chuckle out of the comments that say NASCAR has to go back to it's "roots". With respect to the tracks, yes. But with respect to the cars, that horse left the barn a LONG time ago. There was a time, when a racer went to his local car dealership, and bought a 2 door coupe/hardtop, with the big engine and manual transmission, and built it into a "stock car". Those days, however, ended in the mid-late 1980, when Detroit went crazy over FWD 6 cylinder cars, and NASCAR went to "fabbed, silhouette" cars.

For that matter, the NHRA went the same way, too. The "Pro Stock" category used to be a really cool division, with late model Camaros, Mustangs, Barracudas, etc, with just a bigger engine and bigger slicks on the back, to differentiate it from a more common /SS racer. Now, the "pros" are tube framed, purpose built race cars.

Modules

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Leadfoot if you read my post the only "roots " I was referring to was the tracks.. It's common sense that the technology in the cars are not going to go away.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Leadfoot if you read my post the only "roots " I was referring to was the tracks.. It's common sense that the technology in the cars are not going to go away.

I'm well aware that YOU, in particular, didn't mention the cars. However, this topic has been hashed over MANY times, over the years, and more likely than not, somebody will suggest that NASCAR revert to racing "stock" cars.....

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
Re: Nothing new here! Many raceny fans have been predicting this for years!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »

I'm well aware that YOU, in particular, didn't mention the cars. However, this topic has been hashed over MANY times, over the years, and more likely than not, somebody will suggest that NASCAR revert to racing "stock" cars.....

It is unlikely to happen that way since most manufacturers build mostly FWD unibody cars--There are a few "entry-level" classes that are open to those kinds of cars; (and, I'm not dissing those who race in those classes,) but I don't see many people jamming the stands to watch them...there ARE cars which are available from showroom floors but it would require a huge transition and change of thinking about the sport by drivers, promoters and fans alike for it to succeed.  Us "old farts" can lament and wish for a return to the roaring V8s and the "way things were" all we want but it doesn't change the fact that racing in the present day is MUCH different for those wanting to participate.  Today's youth are not as car crazy as their grandparents or even their parents.  Most of them grew up in an age where 4 cylinders and V6s are all they know!  Unless they grew up in a racing family, most know nothing about tuning or rebuilding carburetors--It's fuel injection and computer tuning for them! (and nitrous, if they decide to go drag racing!)

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »
Just awhile back the EPA was looking at outlawing converting a car that was built for highway use to off road.

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
I'm in between freelance writing assignments for the top rated newspaper "The Daily Movement," so I thought I'd duck in and see what's shakin' on Racing New York.

I started by reading the Speed Sport article on stuff that NA$CAR needs to fix.  Interesting, but the author never really defined what was broke?  Granted, things haven't been the same since Dave Marcis retired.

Then I read all of the posts with the solutions for the heretofore undefined problem that NA$CAR needs to fix.  Once again, interesting.  (Not sure what the movie "Roots" has to do with this?)

Then, for the heck of it, I checked the International Speedway Corporation (NA$CAR) stock price.  Today it was $39.60.  Price has been stable for the past 5 years.  Earnings reports are positive....  Brian F. appears to be eating regular meals and maintaining body weight. 

Clearly, NA$CAR needs to listen to the pundits and turn this around....

Ratzso

“The whole world feared Caesar, but Caesar feared his wife.” 

"Today is yesterday's future"

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »
Just awhile back the EPA was looking at outlawing converting a car that was built for highway use to off road.

Yessir!...and if that happens, I fear the sport and the hobbies of car customizing, collecting cars and "cruise shows" might also become extinct!  SEMA has been leading the way toward preventing these kinds of things.  NASCAR might survive in this scenario but the racing industry
as a whole would be negatively affected.

old man

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »
Best I can tell from what I have read in different places that getting back to their roots has more to do than just the cars them selves altho that is part of it.  Other observations (complaints) have been about; The Lucky dog,charters,segment racing, multi-car teams,ect. I am sure there were reasons for these but it is not the kind of racing some people like. The charter system may have been necessary for survival but it also eliminates most from trying out. Maybe getting back to their roots could be simply about rule changes that let local driver favorites have a chance to compete. Ideas?
Dave