Poll

What do ya Think about a 604 Crate Sprint Car Class?  

Sounds like a good idea! it might work! i'd be willing to watch or race .
28 (52.8%)
Big dollar sprints are the only way to go.
25 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????  (Read 16395 times)

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
Re: What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »

I think Ground Pounder would still be hitting the " >:(" button if I allowed multiple votes and then strip me of my Atta Boys. ;D

I didn't vote at all in your poll.  It's completely bogus since you made it seem like the only option to "big dollar" sprints is your (not so) crate idea. 

Take the wings off and let people build whatever they want for an engine.  You can only put so much hp down without a wing, and the racing is a whole lot better than the slot cars.
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower

mod68

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »
I think its a great idea, without the wing of course. This concept would give a lot of guy's a chance to run a sprint car that otherwise would not get. I would cut up my sportsman stuff next week if a class like this existed.

Then if I ever won the lottery, would make the move into the 360.......

Greg Birosh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
Take the wings off and let people build whatever they want for an engine.  You can only put so much hp down without a wing
Amen!  Add a hard RR tire, and that is basically the formula for the Michigan Traditional Sprints, and it works very well for them.

Q33 Racing

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
The Topless Idea seems very popular . I'm sure The dirt track owners are keeping an eye on this one.
*Klispie Motorsports & Machine Shop*
*Wild World Creations*
*Bender Racing / Dyno Port*

ralph1979

• Rookie
  • why settle for 2nd when you could have 1st
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »
 it would be good for an entry level sprint  class plus it would prove who the better driver is and there would be less whining about who has more money in a motor....... everyone has the same horsepower.
attitude is the little thing that makes a big difference

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 08:23:42 PM »
it would be good for an entry level sprint  class plus it would prove who the better driver is and there would be less whining about who has more money in a motor....... everyone has the same horsepower.
You're dreaming.  Everyone would be whining even more about who's cheating up their crate, who has the fake seals, the track isn't doing enough to make sure they are legal, etc.  Just like in the crate classes now.
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower

Achamp0

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
Well  Ive ran both types of sprints and back years ago Gary Palone and Gary Smith started a class of full sized sprints with carbs on them they started with a couple then it started taking off. You guys shoot the crates down Im not fond of them but not because of the lack of performance its because of the ones that figured out how to put them on steroids this makes crate racing very dis heartining.Sprints are a crowd pleaser for sure.There are many ways to make them affordable but a 604 crate is not totaly the answer.There should be a class of them with no dry sumps and put a 650 holley on it and run it dont tell me that wont be a fun ride I seen a carb sprint whip the fuel injected sprint on more than one occasion .Good Luck with this
JMO

ron.m

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »
Put your crate motors in and come to South Arcade we have an open motor rule let the piece speak for its self if it impresses enough people they will follow if it doesn't work out pull out the crate and drop in the monster.The one good thing about having an open motor rule is if your not happy with your crate pull it apart who cares.I think that giving the right track surface and the way you set up your car you can run near the front.I also agree with go topless JMO
Past pit director  South Arcade Speedway ,Genesee Speedway,Back Stretch flagger South Arcade Scales and Tech Spencer Speedway Worked for Alan Johnson and Danny Johnson ,Tom Weist.Erin (Doc) Smith ,Dave London Name Ron McLaud boscoe168@yahoo,com

sportsman44v

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
Would there be any interest in a ct 525 crate engine sprint car class

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »
To many people trying to reinvent the wheel. There are way to many "bastard" classes out there now.

Tracks need common classes with common rules to their region.

A purely entry level class either 4 cyl or pure stock V8

Street Stocks

A head line division, 358's, Lates,

A secondary division Crates, IMCA

And some special touring shows thrown in throughout the year. Sprints, trucks, etc.

The key is common rules so you can draw from other tracks when they rain out, or ***** someone off.
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

dirtdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
Your gonna find that most people who decide to run sprint cars have more money than they know what to do with.  Then you a the group of guys who truly don't have the money, but have the talent and/or the desire to run sprints.  You guys all talk about the 30K engines and there are lots of them.  I've won races with the patriot sprints, ESS, ELS, and open shows with a $6,000 360 engine (and yes i still have the receipts to prove it).  In 2003 we were on a good run and we were tore down a few times and that's what was putting me out of business because I could afford to keep putting the thing together.  The nice thing with sprint cars is the set up means alot.  They are very tough to get the things hooked up to put the power to the ground.  Sprint cars are like all forms of racing you'll always have the guys that can't drive a lick and try to make up with it by spending more money, some on legal parts and some on illegal parts.  You have things like traction control that are destroying our sport.  The non driving fools think this makes them look good, but they still suck. 
Now for the spec engine for the sprint cars, that 305 class has become that in my opinion.  You can pick on of those up that's all good stuff for less than 5K.  I'm all game for the crate engines in beginner classes.  The problem is you still have all the jerks that cheat.  I thought the crate mods were the ticket and then you have all the cars getting busted cheating. 

Casper60

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Asylum Motorsports Group
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
I think the 604 may be a bit underpowered to make for good racing. I would do it with a ct525 engine. 600 HP for $7500 and you can't cheat them up. (well you can if your tech is blind)
Daryl Barrett

www.c60r.com

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
Would there be any interest in a ct 525 crate engine sprint car class

Better get used to seeing these on your favorite asphalt Modified touring series. There is talk........  me?  I don't care what they do as long

as they race on pavement...and are entertaining. Yes, wingless for sure. BTW who thinks NASCAR doesn't use a "crate" engine? They don't

call them that but they have so many rules they might as well call them that.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

ask0329

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »
It would never work around here. This is NE Dirt mod racing country. Anything less than that and your nothing. I do not feel this way but its the general impression that I get from the typical or casual race fan. NE Dirt Mod snobs. IMCA Mods are some bad @$$ machines but hardly get a nod of consideration from the typical fan. Granted they are catching on a bit more this year but its taken a long time. IMCA, Sprints and LM's are it nationwide but all struggle here in the North East. Now start a crate sprint class? Where would you run? Most tracks are at the limit as it is some with full fields and others with small fiends. People dont have the money right now to support a new class let alone take away drivers from established classes. Its taken 3+ years for crate models to catch on with decent results and they are only drawing 11-16 car fields.

What needs to be done is to develope and introduce 4cyls to new racers. They are the new entry level class. Get the tuner crowd involved. From there they can go mod lites, crate models/crate sportsman or even IMCA mods (insert any secondary support class) Guess what I'm getting at is there is a good system in place. It just needs to be developed. Racing in general needs allot of promotion and introduction to new people. For example why is there not one single race track working in conjuction with the syracuse nationals going on right now in syracuse? Be it getting those guys to a dirt track to show off cars (prior to racing starting to keep em clean) or dirt tracks and their cars at the nationals? Tracks and racecars should be represented in every local parade that happens in this state. Be it a firemans field days or syracuse st patricks day parade. Most of them are free to enter. The possibilities are endless. Adding new classes is not the answer. Promoting and refineing whats already in place is the answer.

thewackyracer

• Racing Genius
  • I'm here for the racin, not the reckin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
525 crate,aluminum block, internally balanced, $8800, requires over a1000 cfm carb for full potential, at 7200 RPM. Don't know if they can last at that RPM.