Author Topic: Where are They Now  (Read 269198 times)

PEEWEE

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where are They Now
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
I BELIVE ED SHAFFER OWENED A SALVAGE YARD IN JERSEY SHORE PA FOR A WHILE REMEMBER THE CAR HAVING ED'S AUTO PARTS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT ON IT,DO REMEMBER THE CHERRY7UP CAR AT SELINSGROVE. THINK HE WAS STEP BROTHER TO THE GUY THAT OWNS SPOOK HOLLOW AUTO NOW

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
I BELIVE ED SHAFFER OWENED A SALVAGE YARD IN JERSEY SHORE PA FOR A WHILE REMEMBER THE CAR HAVING ED'S AUTO PARTS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT ON IT,DO REMEMBER THE CHERRY7UP CAR AT SELINSGROVE. THINK HE WAS STEP BROTHER TO THE GUY THAT OWNS SPOOK HOLLOW AUTO NOW

It was Ed's Garage that was Ed Schweikert.. Dales dad.
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

PEEWEE

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
shaffer owned spook hollow at one time

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »
I think he may have been partners in Spook Hollow at one time. I know the Ed's Garage that sponsored him was Ed Schweikert. At the time Ed had his name on lots of cars at Clinton County.
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

pauchfan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
Where is Billy Taylor these days?

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »
How about Joey Tones.  #2 mustang ran at Woodhull I believe in the early 70's

Wasn't his name Tombes?? And I think It was a Maverick?

Little Joe Tomes hauled from Olean to race Woodhull weekly and took home a couple of "Late Model" Championships. You are both right on the cars... His initial Championship was in a '65 Mustang Coupe, and the later Maverick was, I believe, a '71. Both were pale yellow. My memory says the Mustang had a 430 or 460 Lincoln, and the Maverick was powered by a 427. I believe the same chassis was used for both, but I may be wrong. The cars were basically sprint cars... 15" wide Hoosiers inside the body panels with 8.25x15 right front and 7.75x14 left front. I believe the Maverick even ran an in/out box for awhile with no trans, leading to a new line in the next year's rule book requiring working reverse, and all cars having to start on their own. Memory also says that he experimented with individual hand brake levers... The Maverick won 14 or 15 features in one season. Joe later ran a Pinto bodied 320 Modified. The yellow #2H Street Stock (Jeff Helwig) that comes down for some special shows is Joey's grandson.

oddball5c

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
  I was just wondering if anyone could give any info on Chuck Ciprich?  I was just doing some wiki searching and noticed he was from sayre, pa (as am I). It kind of struck my interest since i had no idea who he was or that he drove professionally.

Larry756

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
Chuck is from Burdett, NY near Watkins Glen.
He may be retired from Conrail.
Larry C McCormick

In Loving Memory of my son
Matthew C McCormick
(Big Country)
01/16/73 - 12/30/2002

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »
As Larry stated Chuck is from Burdett.Chuck is a snowbird and lives in Florida during the winter.

oddball5c

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »
My bad for reading and believing Wiki! lol

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2012, 11:46:11 AM »
Does anyone know what became of Dan Cunningham who ran DIRT Modifieds back around 1975 - 76.  Also Larry Radney. I remember Jerry Knox in his Black and Gold 55X dirt Modified at Canadaguia , Rolling Wheels and Weedsport when I was just starting out. His car used GM stock style floating calipers which since I've had experience with on the super stock were probably superior to the racing brakes we had back in 1978. Also if I'm not mistaken Jerry was either partially of completely deaf........I'm following him on that.....Huh?

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Another guy I used to really like was Joe Cunningham. I think he was #22 at Canadaguia. I think he used to be a car salesman somewhere. Steady driver who always struggled for success.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is Brewerton. Either '89 or '90.

These are Brewerton's standings for '89 I think. Both Dan Cunningham and Larry Radney are on the list. I'm friends with Mark Weaver who ran Brewerton back then. Next time I see him I'll ask if he knows what happened to those guys.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
Got a pic off Facebook of Joe Cunningham from bck in the day. Sorry no photo credit. Could very well be Don Romeo.

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2012, 11:39:02 PM »
I've got another picture of Cunningham, Dale. This one is older, with his red car. I'll make sure you get to see it. Can't upload it now, as I've got a big file transfer going on.
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.