Author Topic: Where are all you race fans?  (Read 12261 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
Where are all you race fans?
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »
Just a question....where are all you folks? Season is getting started....are we not the place to discuss racing in New York any more?

If not, WHY?  Please, lets discuss....

If you are concerned....send PM directly to Admin. Thanks.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all you race fans?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:49:17 AM »
I'd love to discuss racing, but as we all know, the inclement weather has cast a LONG shadow over western New York. Therefore, most, if not all the asphalt tracks, have yet to open. And as we also know, Spencer Speedway isn't scheduled to open for another 4-5 weeks, with at best, a limited schedule.

So far, not too much to talk about...........

dustydarkwater

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
Just a question....where are all you folks? Season is getting started....are we not the place to discuss racing in New York any more?

If not, WHY?  Please, lets discuss....

If you are concerned....send PM directly to Admin. Thanks.

I have a feeling that many of the people who used to come here for news have migrated to the various social media sites such as facebook or twitter. All that's left here are those who come back out of habit (myself, for example) or those folks who are resistant to joining one of those sites. Tis a pity, but it is a sign of the times.
“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.”
 Oscar Wilde

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
Thanks Dusty... do these alternative social media sites work as well or better than a site like ours that's dedicated to our regional coverage? 

I mean lots of factors are involved but I want to get a better understanding so *if* we can do something about it we can have a place to start. Thanks in advance.

Also, didn't Syracuse.com have a motorsports forum where fans could discuss racing? Is that still active or were they too impacted by the social media blitz?

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
I promised myself I wouldn't do it. I even looked at quicksand to remind myself how quickly you can get sucked back in...

Most of the topics that drew some sort of discussion are now in the "Press Release and Results" section. It was a huge discussion that something like this would happen when topics were getting locked and moved. It seems the only topics that are left over in this section that really are just press releases from the track are posted by sprintdaddy regarding Outlaw Speedway. I could be a complete jerk and say you're playing favorites, but at least it was SOMETHING over hear to read.

You asked my opinion, and my opinion is these topics should be merged. It does not take rocket science to avoid topics you don't want to read.

dustydarkwater

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
Thanks Dusty... do these alternative social media sites work as well or better than a site like ours that's dedicated to our regional coverage? 

I mean lots of factors are involved but I want to get a better understanding so *if* we can do something about it we can have a place to start. Thanks in advance.

Also, didn't Syracuse.com have a motorsports forum where fans could discuss racing? Is that still active or were they too impacted by the social media blitz?

I don't know if the syracuse.com forum still exists. I stopped going there because it got too, well, for lack of a better word, dumb. The advantage of facebook is that it can reach a specific audience, for example, there are separate dirt street stock and factory stock pages that cater to Southern Tier racers. I don't know how that could be applied to a site like this.

Right now the most "successful" message board site is probably dirttrackdigest. I believe their board draws the majority of the traffic to the site, but they have columnists, news articles, press releases and a live twitter feed from from various races around the northeast. A race fan can get almost to the minute updates via facebook and dirttrackdigest. And, any discussion can also take place in real time. When I sign on to my computer, I go to facebook, then dirttrackdigest, then here because that's where I've found the information the most relevant to my interests.

I'm a Southern Tier dirt fan primarily, but I do have an interest in asphalt, mostly Bethel, Chemung and Shangri La (when it's open). So I'm going to go where I can get the information I want. Facebook and dirttrackdigest for dirt and here for asphalt.

One possibility would be to get instant (official) results from around the state as soon as possible. If track officials won't cooperate, I know they are quite busy on race night, maybe there are people who would be willing to volunteer to get the results from the track and post them here. On Saturday or Sunday morning I would love to have a place for "one stop shopping" when it comes to complete results.

“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.”
 Oscar Wilde

DPackman_PR

• Champion
  • Full time supporter of EVERY racetrack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
I liked when this section "Racing Discussion" included a greater variety of sub-topics. I used to post a "This week at WCIS..." post for every week so people would know what's going on and Dan Hall would do the same for Spencer Speedway and doing some giveaways on them to draw more attention to those threads, but towards the conclusion of the 2017 season it was a serious struggle to even keep those threads in this section. I had to literally reduce the content to a bullet list of a few items to make it so there was no way it could be considered a press release.

RaceNY has a part in our promotional team's game plan for the 2018 Season, and I'm hoping that it can get back to being a useful tool to get information and feedback from.
Dakota J. Packman

Check out the all new OFFICIAL Wyoming County International Speedway Facebook page
at www.Facebook.com/TheOfficialWCIS !

And our new Official website at www.TheBullringWCIS.com !

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:30:51 PM »
Thanks Packman. I know Dan and he knows how much I appreciated his contributions....and everybody's contributions. We need to get back to that.

That said, I take responsibility for it getting away from us over the past few years. We need to remember our commitment which is to help promote all racing in NY State and the region. We're going to get back to that because, as you said, it works when it's working. And with the season upon us we need to renew the commitment because some folks are planning to use it as part of their 2018 marketing plans.

Thanks for your comments...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
You asked my opinion, and my opinion is these topics should be merged. It does not take rocket science to avoid topics you don't want to read.

Point taken, thank you. We've already begun ease up on delineation of what is PR and what is not and have reverted back to our original rules regarding it. So...it has been better without the locked stuff all over, or we're trying to remedy the problems that were the bone of contention.

Keep sharing ideas please. Thanks.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 08:50:24 PM »
Where to go this weekend stateline 2hrs away, woodhull 2hrs ,Fulton 2hrs decisions.

rg23

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 07:15:11 AM »
I am not on any social media platforms.  I come here to read daily.  I just don't post anything.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 07:18:51 AM »
Where to go this weekend stateline 2hrs away, woodhull 2hrs ,Fulton 2hrs decisions.

Canandaigua is also scheduled to run Saturday at this time. Not being a Negative Nancy, but the weather for Saturday looks questionable.

Admin, it is much better without the locked/moved topics, but I found there was more discussion on those "press release" posts. Just my thought.

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
I promised myself I wouldn't do it. I even looked at quicksand to remind myself how quickly you can get sucked back in...

Most of the topics that drew some sort of discussion are now in the "Press Release and Results" section. It was a huge discussion that something like this would happen when topics were getting locked and moved. It seems the only topics that are left over in this section that really are just press releases from the track are posted by sprintdaddy regarding Outlaw Speedway. I could be a complete jerk and say you're playing favorites, but at least it was SOMETHING over hear to read.

I agree with Sunny; as an example, look at the Evergreen thread on this page.  All the track info, times, etc., someone looks for the results, gets told to go to the press release section.  "Heard Zeiner won, full field."  It limits discussion dramatically.

If the results were posted in that thread, there would likely be more discussion.  Because it all is about the same subject.  Wouldyou enjoy changing the channel to find out the results of the race?

The constant moving of threads is like having an aunt with OCD constantly rearranging the kitchen where you can't find anything so you just order out instead of dealing with her.  The amount of discussion on this site dropped when that started.  JMO.

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
There is a total of exactly one response to the first 12 topics in the press release section.  Just saying. ;D

YetAnotherDW

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
I think Dirt Track Digest picked up a lot of the traffic.

I still come here but it seems like very little going on.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Darrell Welty