Author Topic: What Is Your Definition of a "Real" Race Car?  (Read 3825 times)

dustydarkwater

• Veteran
    • View Profile
What Is Your Definition of a "Real" Race Car?
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Over on Dirt Track Digest there is a post that stated that the SpeedSTR's aren't "real race cars"and on a thread here there is a post that mentions "real" race cars as opposed to "junk yard" classes.

I'm just curious as to what, in your opinion, makes a vehicle a "real" race car?

“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.”
 Oscar Wilde

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Your Definition of a "Real" Race Car?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »
Not an easy thing to define. Remember when NASCAR Grand Nationals ( pre Cup era for you youngsters  ;D) were in fact "modified" factory sedans
vs purpose built race cars (Indy and F1) . Nothing 'factory" about a Cup car today. Are they finally "real"?  Same holds true for the current Modified race cars
vs the coupe and coach era. I don't hang myself up on the term anyway. last Sunday at Evergreen the "fake" race cars ( 4 cyls) put on the best "real" race
vs the ..ahem "professionals" in the their purpose built "real" race cars and their caution filled event. It was embarrassing.  If your out their competing that's real enough for me.

"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Rp22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
I don't believe a 4 or 6 cylinder car is a "real" race car I think of the 8 cylinder cars real .but I'll watch any cars race that's exciting

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »
A piece of machinery that a person straps his or her butt into to try to outrace a bunch of other people who are also addicted to this crazy little thing called racing! size, speed and cylinders do not matter....passion matters!

cwm

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
A cub scouts pine wood derby is a racecar if he is having fun.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:08 AM »
I like it all . Drags,ovals,tractors,boats,and most of all I like the least amount of rules Superlates, Supermods,and Sprints.

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:48 AM »
I didn't see what was said on the DTD but I did watch the Speedsters last week at the Action Track USA in Kutztown PA. The are not only "real race cars", the y are driven by "real race drivers", and a star studded field at that. There were also fifty plus 600's there too, also real "race cars".......It was a great show and I would recommend the trip to any "real race fan"........

....Put two cones on either end of a parking lot and race and I would watch it.(kinda like Chemung).....lol, just kidding......:)
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

RacinInTheBlood1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
I don't believe a 4 or 6 cylinder car is a "real" race car I think of the 8 cylinder cars real .but I'll watch any cars race that's exciting

I think that 90% of people would strongly disagree with you. Walk around and look closely at a FWD 4 CYL RACE car from 5-10 years ago, and then walk around one of the ones racing at our local track today. These things are race cars now, not the enduros of the past.

A lot of grandstand racers and even a small set of guys that are running in the V8 classes think that the FWDs are a joke. However, as someone who has driven both, it takes a certain skill set to be competitive in a FWD 4 cyl car, especially on dirt. Yes, if someone wants to just go out and ride around (which I have nothing against as long as they're respectful and having fun), it is easier to "ride around" in a 4 cyl car opposed to a V8. It's not as easy to wheel a FWD 4 banger as some would think though.

If you have a rollcage, and dedicated your time and hard earned money into a car to be competitive at a local short track, you my friend, have a race car.
"Loose is fast but on the edge of out of control"

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »
A piece of machinery that a person straps his or her butt into to try to outrace a bunch of other people who are also addicted to this crazy little thing called racing! size, speed and cylinders do not matter....passion matters!
[/quote

What he said...Times a thousand.

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 07:58:43 AM »
KT did you go to the 5000$ to win race if you dod what was the admission?

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
KT did you go to the 5000$ to win race if you dod what was the admission?

No Charlie, I went last Wednesday for regular show. (admission was $12). The racing was awesome as the far outside really came in nice during the features.  I went to Bridgeport the night before for the SDS race, the first one there since 2005. It may have been the best field of Dirt Mods I have ever been witness to. The Bridgeport guys absolutely "spanked" the SDS regulars......Bridgeport and Kutztown, tracks #90 and #91 on the bucket list....................kt
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

harris9cat

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
I don't care what you drive. It's your passion for the racing sport that matters