Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1818863 times)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #675 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »
Here's one I took at the last Langhorne Open. Geoff Bodine was leading but ends up in the wall and out of the race directly in front of where I was sitting! I'm not sure if his rear suspension broke and put him into the wall or if he spun and the resulting contact broke the rear, but it definately had rear suspension damage when towed away. My Dad thought it broke first. photo by Dale Welty.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
Also Chuck Boos goes by in the always rough looking #9. I had a dream one time that I was driving Chuck Boos' car in a big race. As my brother often says all race drivers must have been dropped on their heads as babies or we wouldn't be doing this. That goes double for car owners!

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »
At the 1975 Syracuse Super DIRT. We were parked next to Kenny Weld with his Weikert Livestock #29. Notice the tail of our baby blue, "Family Car II" gremlin. Our car only two light-years behind the technology in that Weld machine but Darrell did qualify for the big show in a stellar field of cars. I believe something like 140 cars took time! Photo by Welty.

Frasson118

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 21, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »
Dale... by any chance do you have any shots of Darrell driving our car (Binner-Peters 66), but with Darrells 2x on the side. I think it was only for the Syracuse race that ran in the spring.

If I remember this right, the 2x got in the field, while our 66 did not. So, after the winter, we took our car, but with Darrells number. I think we finished 7th that day (???)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 22, 2009, 11:22:48 PM »
Frasson, That's exactly how I remember the situation but I haven't came across a pic of your car with the 2X on the side. If I remember right , Tom actually riveted a piece of sheet metal over the #66. Here is a photo from the held over spring race. Tom, Darrell and some of the family / crew.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 24, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »
Here's a pic I snapped at the 72 Syracuse race. I believe it shows Jerry Cook in the #38, Kenny Brightbill in his #57 Weikert Coach and Lou "the Monk" Lazzaro in his famous #4. Photo by Welty.

YetAnotherDW

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 24, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »
Dale... by any chance do you have any shots of Darrell driving our car (Binner-Peters 66), but with Darrells 2x on the side. I think it was only for the Syracuse race that ran in the spring.

If I remember this right, the 2x got in the field, while our 66 did not. So, after the winter, we took our car, but with Darrells number. I think we finished 7th that day ( ??? )

That was the year it rained out and then snowed out finally and was run in the spring.  Yes, Tom riveted a 2x over the 66.  That was the year of the big wreck that saw Wayne Reutimann's cage torn off on the backstretch.  I was just in front of that wreck.
Later I bounced it off the wall in turns 3 & 4 and broke the right front caliper and rotor but during the yellow Tom turned off the right front brake and we soldiered on to a 12th place finish (not 7th, damn!).
After the race Tom asked me what I was looking at every time we came down the front stretch because he saw me looking at the pits.  What I was doing was looking very carefully for anyones front end because if someone was coming on the inside I would have to let off way early or crash because the brakes were practically non-existent at that point.
However, a 12th place finish in spring of '78 was $900, pretty good money back then.
When I have time tomorrow, I'll scan and put a picture up for you Jerry
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Darrell Welty

YetAnotherDW

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 25, 2009, 05:28:10 PM »
Sorry, that was spring of '79, not 78.

Jerry, here is one from Syracuse with the 2x on it, sorry it has to have my ugly puss on it.  The second is from later in the year, I'm confused by it because I know I didn't win a feature with that car but somewhere along the way I got this trophy for some reason.
Darrell
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 05:30:02 PM by YetAnotherDW »
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Darrell Welty

George M.

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 26, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »
Here's one I took at the last Langhorne Open. Geoff Bodine was leading but ends up in the wall and out of the race directly in front of where I was sitting! I'm not sure if his rear suspension broke and put him into the wall or if he spun and the resulting contact broke the rear, but it definately had rear suspension damage when towed away. My Dad thought it broke first. photo by Dale Welty.

Actually, it was contact with recently deceased Bryan Osgood.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:39:48 PM by George M. »

George M.

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 26, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »
1968 Nazareth Program

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:50:35 PM by George M. »

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 26, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
As far as the contact with the #09, wasn't Geoff trying some kind of independent rear suspension at this time too?

Great photo of Bryan too George, with Geoff pitted next to him. Thanks
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

George M.

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 26, 2009, 02:56:06 PM »
I don't know about the rear suspension, but, you're probably right. The car was very radical and way ahead of its' time!

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 26, 2009, 08:40:27 PM »
Darrell, The pic where you have the trophy looks to be Rolling Wheels. I remember they used to have trophy night once each year and you'd get a trophy for winning even a heat race. I have one that I won on REED Cams night as I was able to sneek past Rick Borrick on the last turn to pick up the heat win. It looks just like the trophy you're holding in the pick and it says "feature Winner" on it. Here's a clipping showing Borrick's car although the roof got cut off. Gater photo by Don Romeo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:42:14 PM by Claychamp123 »

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 26, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »
Here's another Bryan Osgood shot. He's standing with Vern Bodine by the BUG with which he Terrorized the central Pa circuit in 1963. I believe this photo was taken by someone in his family. I took it from an old Gater with no credit given. Sorry it's so blurry, having trouble with my scanner. What we have here is a failure to communicate....with my PC.

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 27, 2009, 02:13:06 AM »
That is Bryan's brother Vern Osgood.