Author Topic: RoC Asphalt Tour to run American Racers in 2012  (Read 9939 times)

DaveTheDude

• Veteran
  • WGR's Fast Track
    • View Profile
    • Fast Track on Twitter
RoC Asphalt Tour to run American Racers in 2012
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
For Immediate Release
Re: RoC Asphalt Tour Changes

2012 Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour Signs on With American Racer as Official Series Tire.

BINGHAMTON, NY…The Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour has signed on with American Racer as the official tire of the tour for the 2012 racing season. The Modified teams will be making the switch this season to the American Racer tire after successful testing was conducted this past fall.

The change in tire for 2012 is certainly part of an overall effort by series officials to take the successful RoC Tour and continue build it for the years to come. The change in tire is just part of an overhaul on the series for 2012 that will also allow the regional Sportsman Modified teams to run for their own title in part along with the Modified Series.

With the change in tire manufacturer the upcoming season’s point fund will also see a boost with well over $30,000 being posted for the upcoming point trail. Series Director Andrew Harpell commented, “We are extremely excited to have been able to put together such a strong program for our teams in 2012.” He added, “We cannot move forward without first noting what a tremendous partner Hoosier Racing Tire has been in the past. We have had a great relationship for 18 years and our decision was certainly very, very difficult.” “Our final decision was made on what we felt would be best in 2012 for our teams and the overall health of the series. By no means does our decision diminish what Hoosier Tire has committed to us in the past and their tremendous involvement nationwide.”

The American Racer effort is being headed by Fred Woodward and the staff at Lias Tire in Indiana, PA. Currently they are a partner on the Race of Champions Dirt Modified Tour and devoted a tremendous amount of resources on the Dirt Modified American Racer Cup. Woodward remarked, “We are thrilled to have this opportunity with the Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour. We certainly know the great caliber of the drivers on that series and are looking forward to working with them this season.”

The Modified teams will be competing on the American Racer right side 131 and left side 130 compound on all of the 2012 RoC Asphalt Tour races. An aggressive program is being put in place with series tour tire provider French’s Auto Parts for the season to make the tire process fair for all of the teams. In order to avoid potential “tire soaking” teams will be required to purchase three of their four competition tires on race day from the on site tire truck. Any team wishing to reuse or sell their used tires to other competitors will simply be required to turn in their tires at the conclusion of racing that day to the tire truck to again ensure no alterations will occur in between events.

Harpell remarked, “We believe the process that we have put in place will not only protect all of the teams from potential tire alterations but will now open up an entire new market for used tires to be purchased by teams on a lower budget.” “We anticipate that their will be plenty of “useable rubber” remaining on these tires at the conclusion of our race events.” “This will allow for teams to sell their “take offs” but also provide for limited budget teams to have a very competitive tire at a discounted price.”

Chuck Hossfeld will be officially recognized as the Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour Champion on Friday, March 2nd at the Binghamton River Walk Hotel and Conference Center.

The RoC staff will have a display on March 2nd, 3rd and 4th at the annual Binghamton Area Mall Show at the Oakdale Mall in Johnson City, NY. Series reps. will be on hand at the traditional Motorsports Expo at the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY on March 10th and 11th as well. The Race of Champions offices can be contacted at 607-775-5555 or by emailing the office at rocpavement@aol.com. The official RoC website can be found at www.raceofchampions.net.
Dave "The Dude" Buchanan
Director of Media Relations/Announcer - Lancaster National Speedway
Announcer - Ransomville Speedway, Race of Champions 200
Host - WGR's Fast Track on WGR Sportsradio 550 & WGR550.com Sundays from 11 a.m. - Noon

longislandmodmaniac

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: RoC Asphalt Tour to run American Racers in 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
Will this make for better racing?

yoyo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
they should be cheaper to buy aleast

MODiFried

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
im waiting to hear more about this tire...harder compound ? if so sounds like better racin from the stands also (if thats possible) like when the MODs wore Goodyears ~ late 80's was it...sounds interesting

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
Here is the Modified tire chart from the AR site >> http://www.americanraceronline.com/Asphalt-Track/modified.html

Looks like the 131/130 are the two hardest compounds.  My opinion the racing will be dicey in the short term but will be better in the long run.

Maybe ::)  Don't close the Troyer parts counter right away!!  ;D
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

racerbob10

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »
The older guys like myself used to run on 45s and 50s on the right side. Not a big deal. The fast guys will continue to be fast and the squirrels will be even squirrlier.........lol! Similar rubber as MRS.

2ol2

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »
how much per tire and what is the promoters cut

bassman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
 What would be wrong with having 2 or 3 different compounds or brands of tire to choose from at each event? I would think the "rivalry" would be good, both in the pits and in the stands... stratedgies may play out differently... and teams are going to spend "X" amount on tires regardless, why not give them a choice?? I'm not lookin for a bashing ceremony here (I'm in the wrong place ain't I? LOL!!  :o )   just posing a couple questions...

jeff page

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
JMO
The Modified Racing Series has been on a Hoosier tire for 2010 , 2011 and i believe this year also . I think as far as a rules package the MRS has the best set going . http://modifiedracingseries.com/2011%20rulebook.pdf . I believe that if Andy can police the softener issue no matter what tire they run the next thing that needs to be addressed will be TC and i don't mean Teddy . This is Andy's deal to do what he feels is right for his series , he does ask for owners and drivers input and has been doing this promoting thing on both dirt and asphalt for long enough to know what to do .

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
The scene at the tire truck is going to be interesting. I also heard they size up better than the Hoosiers with regard to the chalk numbers. Curious about heat cycle

though. Any thoughts?
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

NHModfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »
What would be wrong with having 2 or 3 different compounds or brands of tire to choose from at each event? I would think the "rivalry" would be good, both in the pits and in the stands... stratedgies may play out differently... and teams are going to spend "X" amount on tires regardless, why not give them a choice?? I'm not lookin for a bashing ceremony here (I'm in the wrong place ain't I? LOL!!  :o )   just posing a couple questions...

That would be a disaster because the Hoosier Tires are much faster on restarts, especially early in the race. Plus then you lose the point fund besides.

bassman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »
 Makes sense.. Thanks for the insight!!

boxer06

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I don't have dog in the fight. I don't own or drive a modified. All that I would like to see is some good racing, large car counts, bigger payouts,and everyone to be happy.. If it takes changing to a different brand of tire to do this , Then that is what it takes.

MOD11RACER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
Screw the point fund pay the racers up front. Open tire rule would be great.

Thunderfied

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »

That would be a disaster because the Hoosier Tires are much faster on restarts, especially early in the race. Plus then you lose the point fund besides

Having more than one tire option would be great. Some of the best Modified racing was when Goodyear and Hoosier went at it and you could purchase both at the track.