Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 554090 times)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #690 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
from the Binghamton Press  Aug. 22, 1967

Checkered Flag
by Bill Dowd

The young chargers may be interested to watch on some occasions and temporarily capture
the interest of the crowd. But all the world loves a winner.  No. 1 on the winner chart  at Shangri-La
Speedway this year is Candor veteran Bill Strosahl.
   Strosahl, who won the sportsman-modified crown at age 44 last season, is zeroing in on
another point title despite a lot of static from Don Diffendorf who leads him by a scant 12 points.
Strosahl's latest winning streak is four and he has taken eight S-M features this year.

One reason for his continued success some people point out is the absence of the standout
team of Dutch Hoag and Lee Osborne. But even during their heyday at Shangri-La Strosahl was one of
the top men. Hoag took the S-M championship in '65, but Strosahl won six features, was second three
times and third three times. Last year, his feature-win  total dropped to five, but he was runnerup six times
to keep his point gathering at a high level.

The records say Bill's best year was 1958 when he won 11 of 12 races at Five-Mile Point
Speedway. In 1951, he won the New York State Championship race held at Shangri-La. But this could be
his best year yet. Besides being No. 1 at Shangri-La, he won the Langhorne Qualifier there and is one of
the leading canidates for the Press Driver of the Year Trophy.

Sports Car Corner-  Press-area drivers didn't fare too well in the Sports Car Club of America
races at Watkins Glen Saturday. All finished well behind the leaders or were non-finishers... The 3rd
annual Challange Gymkhana between the Southern New York and Central New York SCCA regions will
be held at Shangri-La Speedway Labor Day, Sept. 4. A team of drivers will represent each region in 10
classes, driving one at a time through a twisting course against the clock. SNYR has won the last two
events... SNYR and Susquehanna Trials Auto Rally (STAR) club will hold a joint rally Sunday. Sign-in is at
12:30 p.m. at Stanton's Body Shop, Sanford St., Binghamton... SCCA's New England Region has moved
its Labor Day races from Thompson (Conn.) Raceway to Lime Rock, Conn., due to contractual
difficulties... The Canadian-American Challange Cup Series opens Sept. 3 at Elkhart Lake, Wis., with a
$40,000 race. A bonus of $31,500 goes to the top point driver at the end of the 6-race series.

Pit Stops-  Penn-Can Speedway has lost it's AMA motorcycle programs which have run for
four weeks on Sturday nights. Promoter Gordon Nolan couldn't make a go of it after likewise running into
trouble at Afton Fairgrounds. He will run a Northeast District cycle championship Sept. 3, however... The
second annual "Crazy Days," a program of novelty races and other events, will begin at Penn-Can Labor
Day at 1 p.m. ... Another Athletic Institute of Chicago survey agin proves motor racing the No. 2 spectator
sport in the country, trailing only horse racing. That still puts motorsports ahead of the exhalted "Big Three"
of  baseball, football and basketball (which are ranked in that order in the survey). And even
greyhound racing is sneaking up on basketball...
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #691 on: November 11, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
Some photos for the last article...first one is from Langhorne in 1966...a bad day for the McClure team and driver Bill Strosahl, (from threewides vault. Stan Tomosko photo)
second one is of "Wild" Bill Strosahl leading Don Diffendorf over the stripe @ Shangri-La (George Barrs photo from Shangri-La Racing News)
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:04 AM »
Bob,
Thanks for the latest story and pic.  Does anyone know or remember why Dutch and the Turner Bros weren't regulars at Shangri-la in 1967? I don't doubt the truth of the article, but it seems odd to me that they wouldn't have been at Shangri-la most weeks.  I do know that they won Langhorne that year, so maybe they were more focused on that and only ran 1-2 nights per week.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 12, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the latest story and pic.  Does anyone know or remember why Dutch and the Turner Bros weren't regulars at Shangri-la in 1967? I don't doubt the truth of the article, but it seems odd to me that they wouldn't have been at Shangri-la most weeks.  I do know that they won Langhorne that year, so maybe they were more focused on that and only ran 1-2 nights per week.
From looking at old results, Dutch raced Fulton alot on Saturday nights in 1967 instead of Shangri-la.  Fulton started running some Saturday night shows that year with an occassional Sunday night 100 lapper placed into the schedule.

argonrcn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 12, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »
Bob,
From looking at old results, Dutch raced Fulton alot on Saturday nights in 1967 instead of Shangri-la.  Fulton started running some Saturday night shows that year with an occassional Sunday night 100 lapper placed into the schedule.

I think FULTON had a better PURSE. Don't quote me on that, but correct me if I am wrong.

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 13, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
Thanks, guys....I never remembered Fulton running on Saturdays (just Sundays), but that might just be the explanation, especially since Fulton was a tiny bit closer to the Turner's Scottsville base.  It might have been the next year (1968) when NEARA was formed and the tracks started cooperating more. What a great era to have been following the Mods. We were so lucky and didn't even realize it at the time!

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #696 on: November 13, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
Here's the other picture...for some reason I have been having trouble downloading more than one picture...gotta love the interweb!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 13, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »
Here's the other picture...for some reason I have been having trouble downloading more than one picture...gotta love the interweb!
The stars and stripes coach of Diff would date this 1971 or '72.  That would mean Graeme Bolia is in the 15.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
Thanks, guys....I never remembered Fulton running on Saturdays (just Sundays), but that might just be the explanation, especially since Fulton was a tiny bit closer to the Turner's Scottsville base.  It might have been the next year (1968) when NEARA was formed and the tracks started cooperating more. What a great era to have been following the Mods. We were so lucky and didn't even realize it at the time!
Fulton actually ran Saturday’s in ’68 too.  At least until August of that year.  Then came the switch to Sunday’s every week. 

NEARA didn’t come on to the scene until ’76.

Bub always seemed to be the odd man out when Fulton was a paved track.  Saturday he was up against Oswego and Shangri-la.  Even the Saturday dirt tracks nearby like Waterloo and Watertown were competition in an era when drivers ran both surfaces with the same car.  With the switch to Sunday he was up against Utica-Rome.   Then Sunday's got tougher and tougher as the 70’s wore on and the pavement scene waned.  For those who weren’t broke come Sunday, Glenn Donnelly's Weedsport became the  track of choice for many in central NY.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
duplicate post.  sorry
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:45:31 PM by Jay Mooney »

Rich J

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 16, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
I remember back in 1968 my father took me to Fulton after Lancaster rained out. Danny Knoll and Chuck Boos were added to the rear for the late model and mod features since they had missed the heats. Kenny Cassell headed for Fulton but the hauler broke down on the thruway. Man, those were the days!

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #701 on: November 18, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
I thought this was interesting in that it gave a run down into the pay structure of a big money race in '69....

from the Binghamton Press   Sept. 12, 1969

MOTORAMA

Shangri-La Consolation Lots of  $

What is believed to be the biggest single purse for a stock car race in Southern Tier history will be on the line in the 100-lap feature at Shangri-La Speedway tomorrow night at 7:30.
Payoffs will total $7,500.
   What is definitely one of the biggest conplaints has been registered by Kirkwood's Don Diffendorf over the end of the sportsman-modified championship battle over there.
   Rain washed out the final scheduled week of point-raising activity at the Owego track last Saturday and Bath's Dutch Hoag was awarded the S-M title by an 11-point margin over Diffendorf who had been gaining ground each week.

"THERE'S PROBABLY $1,000 in point-fund cash to be given to the champion," said Diffendorf, "and I don't think you can declare a champion without a championship race, which is what the rained-out race would have been."
   "I know Don is unhappy but the season was scheduled to end the week before the 100 as far as points are concerned and that's the way we kept it," said Shangri-La promoter Fran Gitchell.
   The 100-lapper has drawn not only Hoag and Diffendorf for one of there patented battles but other "name" Upstate drivers. One of the best is Richie Evans, a former NASCAR sportsman driver whose 12 feature wins at various tracks is second only to Hoags 17. Other guaranteed entries, in addition to Owego regulars, are Bentley Warren (who won $11,000 during a Labor Day Weekend hot streak), Maynard Troyer of Rochester and the Treichler cousins, Merv and Roger.
   The Shangri-La winner tomorrow gets $1,000 with $100 drops down to $300 for the next seven finishers and $25 drops down to $200 for the next four. Starting spots for the heats will be by blind draw with first heat winner on the pole, second heat winner outside on the pole, and so on. The 100-lap starting field is limited to 24 cars.

THE POINT RACE is still on at Five-Mile Point Speedway until the Oct. 4 Southern Tier 100. Only 20 points seperate first through seventh places in the S-M standings with Larry Catlin four up on DeForest Chalker in the top two spots. Pete Kozak leads Dave Miller by a mere two points in modern division action.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #702 on: November 18, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
Some photos to tie into the above article
1) Richie Evans (no photo info)
2) Dutch Hoag in 1969 posing with the car he finished 2nd with in the Permatex 300 (Ray Masser photo)
3) Dutch Hoag @ Bath Speedway (no photo info)
I love the interweb!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:05:23 PM by blackjackracing »
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 18, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
Dutch went on to win the 100 lapper at Shangri-la on 9/13/69.  Benny Stephens walloped the turn one dirt bank in Ralph Held's car during warm-ups that night and took it out of the ballpark.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #704 on: November 22, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
First off....Happy Thanksgiving!
I found this while looking for something else (that seems to happen alot!) I found it interesting in that it tied into the last article I posted...disagreements with management. It's nothing new. We see it all the time here on raceny. What is amazing about it is that it wasn't published on the internet. It was published in a mainstream newspaper. Could you imagine this happening in this day and age...I think not. There's too much fear of litigation.
The pictures with it are of Eddie Gallione. The first one accompioned the article. the second one is from the interweb...Enjoy!

from the Binghamton Press   Nov. 11, 1948

Driver Attacks Promoter
Gallione Says Owen Caused Disputed Race
by Charley Peet    Binghamton Press Sports Editor

Eddie Gallione of Schenectady, leading driver in the Eastern States Racing
Association, wants us to print his version of the disputed race at Oswego's Shangri-La
Speedway Oct. 24.
   That was the race, you may recall, in which officials couldn't decide on the winner.
Earl Horn won the event according to Bill Owen of Johnson City, promoter and owner of the
track. According to E.S.R.A. officials, George (Boots) Bouley was the victor.
   Here is what Gallione writes in a letter to us:
   "I recently read in your Binghamton paper about the controversy between 'Wing'
Bouley (George's brother who said Horn was disqualified and therefore not eligable to be
declared the victor), Earl Horn and Bill Owen.
   "I want to say I stand behind 'Wing' Bouley 100 per cent.
   "As to Earl Horn, I can only say That I have the highest praise for him in regards as a
driver and a gentleman and a competitor. I like Earl very much and we are very good friends.
   "About Bill Owen, he started all the trouble. That statement would probably surprise
a lot of the fans, but it is true. A promoter should never butt in during any race. The starter on
the track is the boss and his decisions are to be followed.
   " When Earl Horn and Harry Eckert slid out to the fence on the second lap, the race
should have never been stopped as the track was clear and no one was hurt.
   "The race was stopped anyway by a starter who has demonstrated time and again he
is not fit for the job. This Owen came in and tried running the show. His decision was to restart
the race with Earl and Harry in their original positions and that is definitely against the rules of
the club and he knew it.
   "The starter who was being paid by Owen, was afraid of losing his job, so he turned
around and sided with him. When the drivers, including myself, saw what they were trying to
pull with the starter himself laying down on the job, we let them know what we thought in no
uncertain terms.
   "I know a majority of the fans that day were misled in thinking where the cause of the
trouble was. It stands to reason in a case like that, that we have to look out for ourselves.
   "With that resistance, Owen countered with starting them in the rear and whatever
positions they finished he would pay out of his pocket. That was all right with us even though
they were out of the race.
   "While waiting for the payoff, George Bouley told me Owen refused to pay him his First
position as he considered Earl won and also first money. Well, that was eventually
straightened out.
   "I won the spring championship race and the midseason championship race (both at
Owego) and never received a trophy for either of them. I hold the track record of 22.49 seconds
for one lap and not Horn as Owen claims. That also calls for a trophy but I have yet to see it.
   "I won the New York State championship race, and Don Strong, the promoter whom I
enjoy riding for, presented me with a beautiful trophy which I am proud to own.
   "Auto racing in that area would be much better off without men of Owen's type. 

"Yours Truly,

Eddie Gallione."   
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com