Author Topic: whete are the super stocks???  (Read 13328 times)

#2 Charger

• Rookie
    • View Profile
whete are the super stocks???
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
What's with the car counts in the big 10??? Why are guys not coming out? Please keep your comments positive or don't respond.

Ernie

• Champion
  • They hate the Truth
    • View Profile
Re: whete are the super stocks???
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
They had a good field and put on a great race at Chemung. It is the tracks that they are avoiding and not the series?
They REALLY hate the truth :)

crankyhick

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
I have the feeling, that it is the expense of traveling....Plus, two groups with slightly different rules doesn't help the situation....jmho.
Howie Markel.. Race Fan

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:47:35 AM »
A short time ago when super stocks were run on a semi regular basis at EBRP the track was lucky to get 5 cars when they were on the schedule. Our series raised the purse significantly and cut the cost of getting the cars to the track. The result was an average of 22 cars over 8 races. This year has been a little different. I have over 30 cars registered with us this year so far. Many have not raced with us yet or with the other SS series. Plus we have several who have raced but not registered. Some guys have told me they are racing close to home. I get that. Some have taken time off for personal matters. I get that too. What I don't get is why others decide not to race with us when we are right in their back yard. But they will travel 3 to 4 hrs. to race in another series. Politics being what they are in this business it isn't hard to figure out there are differences that need to be worked out. I am willing to sit with all parties this year and figure out what can be done for next year. This could be significant for all tracks that we may race at. There are enough cars out there to bring 18 to 20 cars to each event. I do not want this division to go back to what it was a few short years ago. Nor am I interested in fighting with anyone about what is best for someones own personal agenda. I'm too old and don't have the interest. There you have it from my perspective. Fire away.

mcd23

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
Well said Mr. Frontstretch.  (Think I know you but no name in profile!  :o ).  As a spectator I enjoyed seeing 18 to 20 cars at the first few races, in both series.  Now, there's 10.  We didn't have people like Lippa and Mancuso, (and others) putting the effort in that they are when I was racing and we still had 30 or more cars a night.  It's more than expense and travel costs.  We had those too.  Yes, the costs are higher today but so is the income.  Don't have any answers but I sure hope some priorities get adjusted and we start seeing more cars at these races.
JMO

GarySS1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
Some guys are not racing with the series because of the tire deal is not fair to everyone. They checked zero tires the first race at Chemung. I even asked them to check my tires in as I got them from another team. They didn't. It also takes 6-8 tires to get 4 that don't leak. If every team got their tires the day of the race it would be a level playing field. Allowing the guys local to the tire barn to get them and soften them or pin them has killed the car counts. I know there's no perfect way but that keeps my car home. I really wanted to go to spencer this week but I've seen the tire trailer enough to know I would end up with junk tires. My opinion bash away.

AISannouncer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »
Larry, I think you're on the right track and glad to hear of your willingness to open up conversation.  Car count is frighteningly low at many of our asphalt tracks and a cooperative effort should help get drivers and crews and fans out again.  Adirondack opened up the rules at the last Super Stock race June 29 and 21 cars came to race on a stifling hot day.  But I'm not sure how happy everyone is as some of the cars had a decided advantage on the track.  There is much work to be done and reasonable conversations are a good start.  I hope that AIS can be helpful in some way to the process as Super Stocks are regarded as the premier class there.  The NYSS race scheduled for AIS today (Sunday) was rained out.

Keith Zehr

Friz-B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
Travel minimum of 6 hour round trip there's$150 in gas for truck gas for car$100 tires$125 pit passes$100 big 10's carburator $300 and...... and true story bout the tires you cant show up to track with garbage tires left on trailer because all ur neighbor took the good ones where not gonna travel 4 hours with the hope u might have a good tire at the track for us

BANGIN BOB

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 03:28:23 PM »
When this series started, it was sold on the idea of cost savings and a level playing field. Now that those illusions have been exposed, this is what's left.

23 Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
I personally don't think the tires are an issue.  I live not to far from the tire barn  (20 - 30mins),  and I have bought tires off the truck at the track on several occasions and they are a pain to bead (u need to grease the inner lip of the rim).  And I still have tires that we have used this year that we used last year , we will go at least 2 races on right sides longer on the left...   And we Run good.   Tires are saving me tons of money.   I DON'T BELIEVE THE TIRES ARE THE ISSUE.
"For the love of the sport"

#2 Charger

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: where are the super stocks???
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »
I Haven't Had Any Tire Issues Either. I Actually Like The Tires. I Understand Travel Expenses Can Get Costly.  Last Year We Had 8 Different Winners (I Believe). I Hope We Have A Good Turn Out For Lake Erie Speedway, It's A Nice Facility.

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »
We have encouraged guys to be pro active about buying tires. What we meant by that is to get to the tire barn and buy your tires there. Recently we have had discussions that might not be the best for what we are trying to accomplish. I understand the difficulty for many guys. Bad enough you may have to travel hours to race but travel the same distance just to get your tires might make you stay home. This input is very helpful and constructive. Moving forward I may make some decisions in the next couple of days regarding this. Bill I also understand all the expenses of a traveling series, but if I came up with an idea where there would be minimal travel and guys could still run for home track points, that might work right? In order for that to happen it would take a lot of cooperation from everyone including the track promoters. I think it could work but there are hurdles for sure. Any other ideas that anyone has feel free to let them fly.

21 FORD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
I understand that travel expenses are high, they were last year as well and everyone still raced.  I personally do not believe the tires are the issue at all,  I live 4 hours from the tire barn and I have traveled out there the last 2 years prior to the start of the season to get the first round, then I get more as I go throughout the season, bring them back and mount them at the shop.  I have had very little trouble with the tires.  I have my personal feelings why the car count is down, however I will save them because it does not matter what I think because I am one of the guys showing up to race, lets hear from the guys who raced last year, and are not now.  Let's hear it.

Jamesgang

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
I'll throw this in there as someone who was of the same opinion that the tires get "cherry picked".  There was some really good tires in the bunch on that trailer.  The ones I ran all have at least another night of racing left in them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:16:02 PM by Jamesgang »
Winner of the 2014, 2018, and 2019 Dave London Memorial.

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:58 PM »
My phone is always on Tommy. On the subject of the tires though. If I have several guys say they won't race because they have to travel 3 hrs. to buy tires , I have an obligation to listen to that. It's what's good for everybody that needs to be done. Some guys don't have the ability (maybe wrong word but can't think of the right one) because of family or work obligations to make that trip. On the positive side the good comments to complaints about the tires is winning about 95% to 5%. I just read your comment too Jim and it's true I was told this shipment of tires is a very good one.