Author Topic: skyline raceway park  (Read 21673 times)

catman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
skyline raceway park
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
The new skyline raceway park has their season opener this sat April 23rd gates open at 4:30, with racing to start at 6:30 sharp.   seven classes running.    ss star series race $750 to win.  4cyl $200 to win special.  all other classes are a regular show.  see ya there

Yoda

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: skyline raceway park
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »
The new skyline raceway park has their season opener this sat April 23rd gates open at 4:30, with racing to start at 6:30 sharp.   seven classes running.    ss star series race $750 to win.  4cyl $200 to win special.  all other classes are a regular show.  see ya there

Dang..if they would start just a little later they could get a bunch of cars from Thunder to add on to the features, I do know there are a good number of crate and open sportsman teams thinking of doing just that.

ask0329

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »

Dang..if they would start just a little later they could get a bunch of cars from Thunder to add on to the features, I do know there are a good number of crate and open sportsman teams thinking of doing just that.

I know tracks want the cars and the money but that nonsense should not be allowed at any track. You want to race, you show up and qualify through the heats just like anyone else.

Yoda

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »

I know tracks want the cars and the money but that nonsense should not be allowed at any track. You want to race, you show up and qualify through the heats just like anyone else.

They start tail, happens all the time at other tracks, it rains, guys pack up and head some place else that is still running. If it was in the mods people would love seeing Hearn show up and start tail how is it any different with the lower classes??

ask0329

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
There are positives and negatives to it and yes it does happen all the time. I wasn't being class specific.

So lets say a fella runs his heat, gets wrecked and cant make the feature. So the next weekend said fella shows up at the track and says, "I think i'll skip the heat this week and just start tail". Now you have one less car in the heat races. Until the next three drives catch on. Then three more. Then we have very slim heat races. Why use up your equipment if you don't have to? Skip the heat races and just run the feature.

How is it fair or is it right that a driver runs his heat, wrecks or qualifies but then another driver can just show up late and run the feature without attempting to qualify? Driver A is done for the night and does not even get a payout cause he didn't start the feature because he attempted to qualify and wrecked. Driver B does not attempt to qualify, does not take that chance of wrecking his car, but still gets to start the feature and get paid? I know if I was that wrecked driver, I know how I'd feel about that situation.

Just trying to look at it from both sides is all.

What would be a solution to that problem? Maybe if there was not a full field don't run heats? You all qualify anyways? Line up by points or a draw? What if a driver shows up late and theres a full field and 6 guys did not qualify. Does that guy that drove over the hill from thunder get automatically added or sent home at the gate?

old man

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I would not like that idea for the very reasons 0329 says but also the fans pay to see the WHOLE show. Yes its done at times but its not fair to the race teams that support their home track for the entire nite.
Dave

old man

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »
Sense i-88 and thunder work together both are set on their race nights so if skyline was to go to Friday night than they might pick up some thunder cars that don't go to 1-88.
Dave
P.S. It would be nice to see all the tracks working together for the good of the sport

Yoda

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »
If the field was full no new cars can be added no matter what or who. This is only possible with a less than full field AND with less than a full field a car does not have to run a heat to make the field, the only reason to run a heat with less than a full field is to secure a decent starting position, do not run the heat and start tail same as the guy driving over the hill. Until there is a rule written down for all to see this will keep happening everywhere. 

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
Back in the day, some asphalt mod drivers would race at Thompson on Sunday afternoon, then beat feet down I90 to Utica Rome. The difference is that U-R had more than a full field and they would have to start tail in the consi in order to qualify.  Paying points for the heat races might prevent teams from opting out.
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower

Yoda

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 02:39:53 AM »
Well an invader from Thunder started in the 7th row and won the 602 race at Skyline. An invader from Thunder started 7th in the open race and won that. it was a good day for the invaders.

old man

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
Yes it was a good day for the invaders-- the race teams that buy their gas, tires and food at skyline, ( in other words, support the track) had a few cars come in just before the feature that buy nothing but a pit pass, run for half a hour, wreck a 3rd of the field that are the tracks loyal clientele and take most of the purse did have a very good night.
The common praise is if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen and I guess that is true but it does not make a loyal race team want to keep spending their time and money doing this anymore and that hurts everyone
Dave

Casper60

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Asylum Motorsports Group
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »
If you don't qualify through a heat or a regularly scheduled consi, you run for half the starting money and are not scored for points... I think that would deter some of them from showing up.
Daryl Barrett

www.c60r.com

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
They'll learn when they don't have enough cars to pay the purse. They won't get cars from Thunder every week, unless of course it takes them 6 1/2 hours to run the show again. 62 cars over 6 divisions, and they can't get the show in before midnight? You only get one chance to make a first impression. My guess, 50 cars next week. It's too bad. It's a nice place.

purestock4

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
Just a question for you old man did the "outsiders" pay for a pit pass to compete? Is their car legal for the track? Is there any rule there that you have to buy tires or fuel from track to compete there? Wait I'll answer that for u NO!!! I'm sure not all teams that were there from the beginning of the night bought tires and fuel from the track and I'm sure teams brought their own food and drink and didn't spend money at track I guess they can't race either?? That's the problem these days instead of worrying about your own car and performance people find it easier to complain about other competitors.

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
I'm sure Dean and Donna appreciated the extra 3 or $400 that those invaders brought into their track. I'm also sure that Mr. Jordan and Mr. Nye and their families have spent a "few dollars" there in gas, tires, and food in the past also.
Kareem of Wheet