Author Topic: New York State Fair  (Read 1756 times)

rsk1139

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New York State Fair
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
My wife and I just made plans with our friends to go the New York State Fair at Syracuse. I probably saw about 12 Super Dirt Week races on the 1 mile track. One year we went to race on Labor Day and then stayed at the fair for rest the day. It going to seem strange not having the race track there.     ???

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New York State Fair
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »
It's more than strange when you get there. I went to the Nationals and it's really hard to even orient yourself without the track as a landmark. I was one who never cared for the actual racing on the mile (although the atmosphere there was like nothing else), but it's sad not having it there.

canadianfan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 10:57:27 PM »
my brother was there for a rod show and said he had to orient himself via where the CSX mainline is that runs behind the grandstand. It was never my favourite track but something magic sure was lost there when the state demo'd the place (The smell of burning cheap green
pallet wood in the morning is a memory)
Mike Lindsay-Burlington Ontario
so far-Delaware 1, Jukasa 4, Sunset 2, Flamboro 7, Ohsweken 4, Merrittville 4, Ransomville 1, Genesee 1, Volusia Speedway Park 1

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:17:32 PM »
It wont seem strange for me as I told the people I was with leaving the grandstands at the last race there that I have no plans of ever setting foot on that place again. I can not understand why race people still support that place.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »
It wont seem strange for me as I told the people I was with leaving the grandstands at the last race there that I have no plans of ever setting foot on that place again. I can not understand why race people still support that place.
Because local businesses livelihood still depends on the fairgrounds, and I'm not a selfish human being. If every race fan in the state avoided the fairgrounds, it would make ZERO impact. That said, I haven't been to the actual fair since 1992, and I live a 4 minute drive away.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:02:21 PM by BigFeet13 »