Author Topic: Department of HUH???  (Read 3027 times)

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Department of HUH???
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
I just finished watching the NASCAR race from Chicago (great win, "east coast modified graduate", Marty Truex!!), and during the race, the NBC commentators were discussing Stewart-Haas' decision to cut Danica loose. The commentators were saying that the way she first talked about this development, they interpreted it as she was "retiring" from racing.

She then clarified it, and stated that she meant that she didn't want to continue UNLESS she could secure a competitive ride.

HUH??

She's had "competitive rides" for the last 5-6 years, ever since she came to NASCAR, and if she finishes 15th, for her it's a great day............

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
Re: Department of HUH???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
I just finished watching the NASCAR race from Chicago (great win, "east coast modified graduate", Marty Truex!!), and during the race, the NBC commentators were discussing Stewart-Haas' decision to cut Danica loose. The commentators were saying that the way she first talked about this development, they interpreted it as she was "retiring" from racing.

She then clarified it, and stated that she meant that she didn't want to continue UNLESS she could secure a competitive ride.

HUH??

She's had "competitive rides" for the last 5-6 years, ever since she came to NASCAR, and if she finishes 15th, for her it's a great day............

I imagine Matt Kenseth and Carl Edwards feel the same way regarding their future...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »
Ummm.... Cousin Carl and Matt have the same problem, which isn't a lack of competitive rides, it's no sponsorship monies.

I mean, come on. Smithfield leaves RPM for SHR, Danicant gets the boot, Almirola announces he's leaving RPM.... It's not hard to put some figures together and guess who's doing what.

Now, for what it's worth, I would give my left.... arm.... to see Kenseth in the 77 full time next season, because I think he and Truex would work well together. But I always was under the impression that the 77 was a one year "development" team for Erik Jones. :shrug:

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
Ummm.... Cousin Carl and Matt have the same problem, which isn't a lack of competitive rides, it's no sponsorship monies.

I mean, come on. Smithfield leaves RPM for SHR, Danicant gets the boot, Almirola announces he's leaving RPM.... It's not hard to put some figures together and guess who's doing what.

Now, for what it's worth, I would give my left.... arm.... to see Kenseth in the 77 full time next season, because I think he and Truex would work well together. But I always was under the impression that the 77 was a one year "development" team for Erik Jones. :shrug:

I thought that was the case with the #77 as well--BUT there's THIS:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/23/furniture-row-racing-77-car-silly-season/
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
So which one of the three "big" names brings the most sponsorship with them?

Didn't Danica lose her biggest sponsor? Kasey has some Ollie's and Sage Fruit money, but not like he did when Bud was the sponsor. And what about Kenseth? Does he have the Dewalt money behind him?

Hoosierfan22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
77 is done.  They announced Furniture Row/Gibbs is selling the charter. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:13:03 AM by Hoosierfan22 »

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
I imagine Matt Kenseth and Carl Edwards feel the same way regarding their future...

Yes............BUT, Matt and Carl have proven, WINNING, track records to use as bargaining chips, in securing another ride. Danica, not so much....

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
77 is done.  They announced Furniture Row/Gibbs is selling the charter.

This updated internet story reinforces what H-22fan has posted!

https://fansided.com/2017/09/13/furniture-row-racing-77-team-likely-closing-2018/