Author Topic: Ken Heckler  (Read 2621 times)

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
Ken Heckler
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
Kenny Heckler, a long time competitor at Lancaster Speedway in the Sportsman Division and also in Cup Lites has passed away. The news was all over bookface yesterday.

...I didn't know Ken that well personally, but he was always friendly with a smile and a hello whenever our paths crossed. Judging from the traffic on bookface, he was well loved in the community. Being a big guy myself, I always admired Ken's desire to race despite his 6' 8"(?) frame.

...Condolences to his family and friends...............kt
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ken Heckler
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »
I didn't know Ken was sick,the hurricane won his fair share of races and was a fixture at the speedway...rip bud...
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

358CC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:45:04 PM »
Ken " Hurricane" Heckler raced street stocks ( won the US open race one year I think) , Late models, Sportsman, and Cup lites and was sponsored for many years by Mighty Taco. He survived a near fatal Late Model wreck in 1996 and was in the hospital for 6 days. He had a few wins after that in Sportsman and went on to Cup lites for a few years after that. He retired from racing a few years ago and spent a lot of time at Lancaster Speedway as a flagman and tech barn guy, he loved the place and him and his wife were always in the "Turn 4" group. Many were amazed how his 6' 7 360 lb giant fit into a cup lite car, it had custom alterations to accommodate his large frame. He was taken from us too early at age 53, and I am sure once he got up there he demanded to meet Dale Earnhardt Sr. Godspeed Kenny, you will be truly missed.

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:39:38 AM »
His 3 career Street Stock victories all came during the 1990 season including the U.S. Open victory. His 2 Sportsman victories both came in 2001.

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
He also raced in the Backwards class before it ended as a weekly class at the end of the 1985 season.