Author Topic: Picking Rocks and Clean up days  (Read 3562 times)

ask0329

Picking Rocks and Clean up days
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
This stemmed from a Facebook post and the ensuing comments. Im not naming names or tracks as this is not about that. Its about the practice and how people feel about it.

Do you as a fan or driver feel its right or acceptable that tracks ask people to come pick rocks, clean up and do maintenance prior to the season beginning?

I am of the belief that a racetrack is a business that puts out a product. (or service/show). It is solely their responsibility to take care of this type of thing. To put on a safe rock free surface and take care of their own garbage, painting and maintenance. Not the fan and not the drivers. Now if tracks offer restitution for said work, so be it as at that point your sort of a contractor.

Or are racetracks some different type of entity where its acceptable for a business to ask people to come and take care of the work they should be doing?

Whats next, you need to mow and rake the golf course prior to golfing? Wax your own lanes prior to bowling? Clean up popcorn prior to a movie?

jdd00

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Rocks and Clean up days
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
If the golf course I am a member at had a cleanup day prior to opening for the season, I would attend and help out some; because I want the course to be as good as it can be.  If the dirt track I frequent had a similar day prior to the season, I would do the same.  I don't see any problem with it.  It's not a requirement to get a ticket or anything.  Bowling lanes and movie theaters are open more than once a week and (this is just an assumption) have significantly more workers than a lot of local race tracks have.  If track owners had the same number of employees as other entertainment venues, you wouldn't see owners working in concessions on race nights, driving the water truck, packing the track, or working on bathroom plumbing. 

Mayhem Racing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »
Limerock red flagged a race for over 3 hrs and told all teams in the pit area they had to go out and picks rocks or they wld have to cancel the nights racing.  But giving there gig, par for the course.  truly a circus over there!
Mayhem Racing
mayhem_racing@yahoo.com
www.teammayhem14.com

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
To be clear, about the mentioned FB post. The track NEVER asked anyone to pick rocks. A bunch of racers VOLUNTEERED...
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
Would say the same thing about "running in" a dirt track.  The track should be ready when you get there or don't race. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
Limerock is a "club" track,, no run on a professional level.. If the track is not safe.. don't race there. Now,, I wonder exactlywhat track are you talking about? A track is either run properly or not. They are run for a profit so,, the track is responsible for its condition,, as well as the grandstands, bathrooms and consessions. I am always womdering just how much are racers and spectators willing to put up with....   abd why are you AFRAID  to mention a name??? Is there a penalty involved? I honestly wonder about what are people really trying to say......?

ask0329

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
In all fairness i didn't start the thread to slam any tack(s) in particular or individuals in particular. I wont name names and not going down that road.

Only intent was to start a civil racing topic about picking rocks and clean up days. I will say on the FB thread I was in the minority, which is fine.  I started this thread to see what the thoughts and beliefs are on a much larger scale cause it got me thinking that maybe my beliefs where wrong and i should look at things differently.  Just doing some research so to say and trying to be open minded to see all sides.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
The reality is nearly all short track racing is becoming a "club" deal. Consider.... the best paying races (at least on asphalt) are the ones that
are "fan" sponsored. Nearly everywhere important or semi important races have a begging deal that goes with it.  Some tracks expect the competitors to provide traction compound, others want a preseason clean up day and expect free labor with maybe some passes in exchange.  Picking rocks on a dirt track/ Doesn't surprise me. I've volunteered my time and gas to dry a few tracks over the years  but It's
the way the sport has gone.  These things didn't happen much in the (pardon me) old days but I'm not complaining. I still get jazzed when I go racing so..... if it takes pitching a few dollars or some time...then so be it.   

Hey ...there is always fishing or golf if racing is too big a burden.               :-X  done.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

dustydarkwater

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
I think there are people who want to be involved with racing in some way. They may not be racers or officials, but their local track is where they spend their time and if they can lend a hand by cleaning the grounds or doing a bit of painting, they will gladly do it. It makes them feel that they are a part of the track, a part of the, for lack of a better word, community.  I know for a fact that there have been a number of people who volunteer for various jobs on race nights at certain tracks, and by volunteer, I mean they do it for no pay.
“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.”
 Oscar Wilde

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 11:56:44 PM »
Your rite Dusty... and I think if it gets people out and involved at their local speedway,then that’s a good thing..
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

old man

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 03:24:57 AM »
I believe that running a race track business is harder than it use to be because of less fans, insurance liability, workers comp,ect. so a clean up night for volunteers at the beginning of the season is ok, help if you want , don't if not. Helps the sport survive. After that, yes the facility should be ready when you get there. Just my feelings.
Dave

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:41 AM »
Asking if someone wants to help out is a whole lot better than asking the tax payers to help like many of the stick and ball sports do.

owego26

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Sure would have liked it, when i was a teenager, hangin out @ Chemung ...   Think of the braggin  rites you would have to tell your buddies ...

racefan3100

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Any local race track wouldn't exist if it weren't for volunteers. The people that get paid to work at a track don't get paid a whole lot for their time. Normally just enough to cover the trip there and home, maybe buy some food. To me thats volunteering and they wouldn't be there unless they liked doing it. I see nothing wrong with a track asking for help picking rocks. They ask for help from local business to put on their shows (sponsor money). To the people that say " they are a business i shouldn't have to help" don't help. Never could stand people that have the (oh well, not my job) mentality. Since time = money think of it this way. If you volunteering your time to pick rocks you are sponsoring the track in a way.