Author Topic: How Much Money Does Your Local Race Track Make  (Read 20513 times)

Walt

• Champion
    • View Profile
How Much Money Does Your Local Race Track Make
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
I've seen hundreds of threads on how much racing cost and how much everyone spends on racing, But I have never seen a thread on how much everyone thinks the track owners make a week / season. So whats everyone think ? Also if ya want you can tell us what track you think makes the most ? No bashing please, Lets just have some fun and see if we can't make a track owner laugh. lol
TSBLOF.......

crankyhick

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: How Much Money Does Your Local Race Track Make
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
Walt, great question!..I must say in my 50+ years around racing, I have never heard a promoter/ owner admit to making a profit. I guess some of those briefcasses/ overnight bags/ suitcasses I saw going into the trunks of their cars, as they feft, were filled with leftover hot dogs & rolls..But on the other hand, I think it was much easier to turn a profit years ago, compared to now..My question has always been, "If they are losing money, why & how do they continue to opperate"?..Must be that they save money on their food budget at home, with those hot dogs & rolls..lol.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:51:36 PM by crankyhick »
Howie Markel.. Race Fan

racer76j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
ill take a stab.at 40k a yr profit.I have no idea but just guessing.Which isn't much considering all the paper work and taxes and insurance and pay roll with paper work for that.I am guessing this number cause it is a number that could easily cause the demise of a track but if ran right could keep alive but not so much that it is making owners rich.
Don't hate what beats you.Just learn from it!

BClapp

• Rookie
  • huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »
You can tell how much money a track is making by how quick they are to pull the plug for bad weather. If they pull the plug way early with a slight possibility ofbad weather they are losing their @$$ weekly.  If they wait until everyone is there, then cancel and its been raining and likely will rain all night, then they are probably losing money consistantly, but are hoping they can pull in a few bucks to make the mortgage or rent payment that week. If there is a chance but they cancel as soon as it sprinkles, they are probably breaking even on a good night, but losing on an off-night.  If they bust ***** to get the show in no matter what, they can afford to take a hit, and are probably decent money ahead.
www.nyparacing.com
Clapperton311@gmail.com
Brandon Clapperton
Empire Sport Trucks www.estracing.com

agitator57

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOO probably somewhares in tha 7 figuare dipartment for evary trak Mr. Walt is premotin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
Hey Dave, hows my good Ole buddy Mr. Maytag doing these days ? Oh and BTW that was a good one. Frank & Audrey and Dean will enjoy it for sure....... Hope to see ya somewhere this summer

TSBLOF.......

BClapp

• Rookie
  • huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
I forgot to add a " ::)" to the end of my post.
www.nyparacing.com
Clapperton311@gmail.com
Brandon Clapperton
Empire Sport Trucks www.estracing.com

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »
I will repeat what I've posted so many times here: Neither I (nor anyone else) have any idea of an exact dollar amount of any track's profit;  I've worked at several different local tracks offering different types of racing.  I have yet to see or know any LOCAL promoter/owners live a luxurious lifestyle solely off of whatever money they "make" by promoting/owning a racing facility! Most or nearly all of them have either owned a successful small business before sinking their hard-earned money into a racetrack or were members of families already with a vested interest in the sport.  This much I know for certain: ALL of them have a burning passion for the sport--they must have a great deal of it and must possess extreme patience since they own/run a seasonal business; they must also endure the scrutiny, criticism and "second-guessing" of nearly all who want to find fault with every decision made.  Local tracks all around the country are slowly, one by one, closing for whatever reason(s) and are not being replaced quickly since we all know it takes MOUNTAINS of money to build new ones.   Many people take for granted the existence of racetracks and yes, that goes both ways!!!I've often heard that racers ARE the show, which is certainly true but how can you be the show if there's NO place to have one?

Oh, YEAH and "to make an owner laugh!" IT MUST BE A MILLION DOLLARS, AT LEAST...)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:19:16 AM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:57:43 AM »
I hope there all making lots of money..

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:25 AM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:54:25 AM by itchypav »

maweenie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
since you can find anything on the internet im sure with the right keywords for a search ANYONE could get that information for any track. Either that or public records, but who really cares how much a track makes as long as its open. THAT WASNT MEANT TO BE SARCASTIC

RPark

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
any one tell me how wyoming speedway keeps its doors open . they get about 30 cars total to come put on a show. if they are making money then the other traks that are getting 100 cars should be doing alright for them selves.

ask0329

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »
ill take a stab.at 40k a yr profit.I have no idea but just guessing.Which isn't much considering all the paper work and taxes and insurance and pay roll with paper work for that.I am guessing this number cause it is a number that could easily cause the demise of a track but if ran right could keep alive but not so much that it is making owners rich.

I'm not saying that the amount quoted in this post is correct (or incorrect) but if I owned a track that was successful, and I cleared 40K profit for my salary alone (as an owner) I would be one happy fella. Thats enough money to live off of for a good lifestyle to do something you really love to do and be a part of.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 08:45:36 AM »
any one tell me how wyoming speedway keeps its doors open . they get about 30 cars total to come put on a show. if they are making money then the other traks that are getting 100 cars should be doing alright for them selves.

I would suggest the money to keep operating ANY facility to keep it open during tough times might come from a secondary source of income(another business, property remortgage, massive amounts of borrowing, etc.)
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

racin28

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
more then the car owners are  ;D