Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 554066 times)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #240 on: July 25, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
Here's apicture of that "BUG", the #188. Photo by L.O. Duncan. DALE

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »
I was saving this for a rainy day....

Former Orchard Blooms With Enthusiasts

Chemung Breeds a Popular Brand...

By Ed Collins

The old orchard ain't what it used to be. Seven years ago, just west of Chemung, on the Ely Bodine farm, were an orchard and a corn field fitted neatly into a curiously shaped depression. The loudest sounds were the caws of an occasional pair of crows and a farmer's sigh at eventide
   Today, of a Saturday evening comes the ripping snort of an engine, the sound of furiously revolving tires swabbing a flat furrow in a hard turn and the roar of crowds ranging from 1500 to 2000. It's the site of Chemung Speedrome, a mecca for stock cars.
   Peopled by a close- knit group who are more gentled by the roar of pounding pistons than the purr of a kitten and more warmed by a 20- foot exhaust stream than the morning sun, Chemung represents a vital sport.
   Each Saturday night upwards of 50-55 cars compete for 40 per cent of the $1.15 per-person gate, but only incidently for the money involved. Only a top driver makes his expenses and then, to stay on top of his class, he turns his winnings back into his pet engine block.

THE PUBLIC picture of "hot rods" screaming down a narrow residential street is not the picture of these drivers. If anything, they drive a car on a public road with twice the caution of the average driver. Consider the case of 22-year old Bill Schroth of Bressport currently the second- ranking Atlantic Stock Car Assn. driver in Class A at Chemung.
   Bill started driving stocks at 18. His father, Carl Schroth (who acts as part of Bill's pit crew), tells it this way: "Bill was driving too 'hard' on the highways. He hadn't been arrested , of course, but I didn't want anything to happen to him. So, his mother and I gave our permission for him to drive at the track. "Within a year of driving at Chemung, he was a more careful driver on the highway than I am. That's why I'm all in favor of this idea". 
   Bill started with a '54 Ford engine block that his parents bought for him. Last year he graduated to a Class A car, Don Moyer's No. 49 with a '56 Ford engine, and since then he's been close to the top. In fact, Moyer has such trust in Bill's ability that he delivers the car to the quater-mile dirt oval, turns it over to Bill and his pit-crew (Carl Schroth and Dean Wheat) and becomes a complete spectator in the stands.

THE CLASS A LEADER is star Lucky Cornish of Ithaca, who doesn't seem about to be passed, as he piles up feature win after feature win each Saturday in his colorful "no. 44". And right behind the Breesport youth is eight-year veteran Bucky Buchannan of Horseheads in "No. 77" and Percy Brown of Elmira in "No. 59".
   Keeping it in the Chemung family, the youngest driver on the track, 18-year old Earl Bodine No. 88 of Chemung , leads the Class B division, closely followed by Tex Owens (No. 48) of Endicott and Jack Curren (No. 00) of Elmira, who are tied for second, and Cliff Pierce (No. 29) of Elmira  who is fourth. Earl is the brother of Junie and Carl Bodine who run the track located on their father's former farm-land. 

JUST AS Bill Schroth is an excellent example of what the stock cars can do for young men, Pete Marone of Ithaca is an example of how they can keep the spirit fresh. "Nearly 50", Pete was a field driver for a long time but in the past year has picked up steam and several first place spots.
   Similarly, with men like Junie Bodine, who puts in hours that can never be tallied in dollars and cents in readying the dirt oval, and Bob Fuller, the aerobatic flagman whose driving days are over, being a part of the operation of a stock car track is like an outdoorsman's breathing pure air.
   Junie is almost a part of the track, having seen the orchard and the cornstalks fall, and the bulldozers scrape a reality out of the hazy plans of some enthusiasts, and the contoured furrows of a turn. It all started when some members of the Finger Lakes Stock Car Racing Assn. became dissatisfied with conditions at another Southern Tier track six years ago. They came to Ely Bodine and his sons and mentioned the bowl-like depression behind the barns the indians are supposed to have helped raise.
   June recalls "There was an orchard near the road and the cornfield went back to the hill. We marked out a course by walking off the distance and placing rocks, then took the tractor around to mark  the inside lane. There was still a barn in the middle of the track and some trees around. But when the bulldozer took over and started shoving dirt and trees out of the way, it really began to look like a track. We bought lights and hooked up a war  surplus generator we had in reserve here on the farm, and we had our track.

THIS IS CHEMUNG'S sixth year of racing and it's growing more prosperous and better. The track time has improved from 17 seconds to 16. One second may not seem like a lot, but when a pack of stock cars do 75 miles per hour on the straight and 45 on the curves, it's 20 extra thrills in the space of a caught breath.
   Driving at Chemung is not just a matter of tooling some hopped up coups onto the track. Prime requisite is a good engine, preferably encased in a durable (and often venerable) coupe because the lighter coupe chassis handles better on curves.
   Beyond that certain safety regulations must be observed. Car's must have roll bars installed inside the cab, the insides must be stripped of all upholstery and glass except for the windshield, the fenders must be either cut down or removed entirely, a safety belt must be installed and the front and rear wheels locked by welding the spider gears. Further, each car must have a fire extinguisher in it, and front and rear crash guards: and the driver must wear a helmet.
   Most necessary for a driver are intelligence and instinct. A Class A car probably represents about a $2000 investment. Class B car a little less than half that amount.
   Car's are known by their numbers rather than their drivers and the point standings are awarded accordingly: should one driver come up with a little  better car, it's an out-and-out challange to his opponent's skill and ability- both mechanical and operation.

ROB FINNEY of Chemung is president of the Atlantic Stock Car Assn. (which sanctions Chemung) and Bernie Foster is secretary. Earl Buzell is chief timer, Bob Shaddock announcer and Harry Hoyt pit steward. Unofficial timers and pit crew members are the wives and girlfriends of drivers and mechanics who become as expert and enthusiastic about the sport as their men.
   Chemung runs twice this week. The course will hold a program Memorial day at 2:30 p.m. and again Saturday evening at 8:00 p.m. The program, which include "heats" (time trials from each of which four drivers qualify), "semis" (semi-final races from each of which six drivers qualify) and the "features" (either main event or special match races).
   Chemung's biggest and wildest crowd totalled 4,000 on a "free" night.  It's largest paid crowd was 2,200. It has only once (and that on a cold night) dipped below 1,000. From all indications [this is where the article was cut off...sorry guys...it's reprinted with all it's warts!]
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #242 on: July 25, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »
Pictures that accompioned the above article. (From May of 1958..Elmira Star Gazette)

First one is captioned..... Wedging through turn- Chubby Chandler(7) tries to wedge past Cecil Keister (7) as the four cars shift through the lower turn at chemung Speedrome. Driving 49 is Bill schroth and in the 111 on the outside is Jackie Soper. 
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #243 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
Safety Stresed- Bill Schroth, the second-ranked Class A driver at Chemung, demonstrates the safety precautions taken by drivers: seat belt, helmet and (behind him) reinforced top supports.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
49'S POWER PLANT- Four leading Chemung Speedrome drivers take a look at the '56 Ford engine block in Bill Schroth's No. 49. Left to right are Art "Chubby" Chandler, Bill Schroth, Jackie Soper and Cecil Keister.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

luvsracin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
These are great stories from Chemungs earliest years. My Uncle who drove for Ernie June in 58x in those early days bring great joy to me remembering watching him race in those years. When my father passed he left many things from his life and one of them was the $1.15 ticket to get into Chemung Speedrome, its still in wonderful shape after all these years.

ModRoCmaniac

« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »
all i can say is WOW ! ~ this is some of the best reading i ever done.... AWESOME & THANKs for sharing  8)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2010, 10:57:17 PM »
Here's the "gossip sheet" from the Chemung program from the sixties. Hope it's big enough to read! DALE

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
Hey Folks...I attended the Cuba Lake Raceway oldtimers reunion this afternoon and must say that if anyone out there hasn't gone they should do it next year! My wife and I had a great time and met some amazing people....The table we sat at was occupied by Bill Tingue, Al Skiver, Doug Pringle, Monroe Puffer,  My new favorite person in the world...Howie Slocum and if you'll indulge me , one other cat.
My wife and I went to Volusia in February for the DIRT mods and WoO latemodels. We sat next to a couple of fellows and I got talking to them. I mentioned that I raced a modified and tne guy asks me where at. I tell him Woodhull and he lights up. It turns out he used to be the flagman there and also owned a car that he had a fellow named Basil Shutt drive at Angelica. I told him I was researching this and had just come across photos from that era and one of them had been of Basil. When we got home I couldn't remember the guys name for the life of me
Cut to today...My wife picks out seats for us and we get talking to the gentleman to my left and who does it turn out to be?
Basil Shutt. He informed me that the guy I had met was Mike Jackson.  It is TRULY a small world. Nice guy and it turns out he was part owner of one of Kurt VanPelts rides (#13...Basil's number coincidently)....COOL DAY!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2010, 10:37:09 PM »
Article from July 19,1959 Elmira Telegram

Gibson, Bodine In Matchrace

By Bill Weingartner

A special match race between Hall's Hoot Gibson and Chemung's Earl Bodine is scheduled at the Chemung Speedrome Saturday night. Gibson and Bodine are battling for the individual driver title at the Speddrome with Gibson, the mid-season champion, holding a slight lead going into this weekend. "People have been asking for a match race between the two
fastest cars at the track," says Eli Bodine Jr., "so we're going to give it to them".
   Earl Bodine, brother of the Speedrome promoter, drives car No. 118. Gibson drives car No. 19 and had to rebuild the body several weeks ago after it was involved in a crash during a powder puff derby race. Bodine's car has had the same body for three years.
   The Speedrome is having one of it's best year's in both attendence and in car enteries, according to promoter Bodine. Attendence he says is averaging almost 300 fans more than last year. In the track's most popular driver contest Athen's Harry Carlyle continues in first place. He leads Waverly's George Dickman by about 30 votes.

Racing Notes- Attendence is picking up at the VFW Raceway, according to Bernie Foster who handles publicity for the Towanda oval. Recently a record crowd of 700 turned out. Current point leaders are Brian Osgood of Elmira and Harry Benjamin of Wysox.
   The Ithaca-Dryden Speedway switched to Saturday night after one Sunday afternoon of racing. Owner Gordon Reed still offers a gauranteed purse of $1200, probably the largest in the Elmira area....Class A cars still will run at the Olean raceway contrary to a report which circulated last week that they were pulling out.
   The Hornell Raceway operates this afternoon with Class B and moderns. Last weeks winners were Harold Pielow of penn Yan and Floyd green of Scio....Elmira's Bucky Buchanan came through to win the feature at Angelica recentlydefeating the highly-rated Jackie Soper of Elmira and Bud Johnson of Olean.

HUNT RACEWAY will hold it's 50-lap mid-season trophy race for modified stocks this afternoon. The event was postponed by rain last week. Racing gets underway at 2:30 p.m. at Hunt....Waverly's George Dickman is spending most of his spare time building a new Class B car....The Micro-Midget racers seem to be catching on.  The VFW raceway hopes to hold some micro races in the near futureand the Chemung Speedrome may expand it's micro program from every other week to every week. Eli Bodine Jr. reports that about half of the Speedrome crowd shows up early to watch the micros. The micro's start at 7:30 p.m. at Chemung.

THE PINE CITY Band will be on hand to entertain at the Chemung Speedrome Saturday night....The Ithaca-Dryden track is a quarter-mile oval and some of the cars had trouble because they were geared for the more popular third-mile tracks...Glen Reiners continues to find success on his hometown Dundee track. Reiners won the mid-season championship recently and is two-time defending champion.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:40:17 PM by blackjackracing »
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2010, 10:58:40 PM »
Here's another of the "gossip" columns from the Chemung Speedrome program in 1960.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Cal Lane with another win at Chemung Speedrome in the "Bugs" circa 1965. Photo by L.O. Duncan.

ModRoCmaniac

« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »
anyone ever hear of a Driver @ the Ole Chemung ~name: "Pellor" raced 50's - 60's maybe ? Father of a good friend of mine & they were to young to recall ~ like to be able to give them a little info....thnx
think they still have his old car in their Barn  8)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
from the Elmira Telegram... 7-26-1959.....

Stock Car Notes

5 Elmirans Rank High On Olean Raceway List

By Bob Wiber

Elmira drivers, particulary those in the modified class, are continuing to make themselves known on the Western New York tracks.
   As an example, five local drivers are in the top ten at Olean Raceway. Bill Schroth, Jackie Soper, Cecil Keister and Ernie June's combination of Fred Brink and Percy Brown have all had their share of point making.
   Olean's Bud Johnson, due to Soper's inactivity at Olean the past two weeks, has taken the lead with 107 points but four Elmirans are right behind him.
   Schroth follows Johnson with 103 and Soper has 100. Keister and Brown are next with 85 and 50. Following Brown are Fran Pezziment, Allegany, 48: Tom Rose, Buffalo, 42: Brink, Elmira, 40: Miles Clark, Allegany, 37 and Bud Thearsdorf, Allegany, 31.

JUNE, INCIDENTALLY, saw action on a half-mile track in a modified for the first time in seven years at Lancaster recently. Brink, driver of the 58x, hurt his back and June hopped into the driver's seat. He was 15th when he took off from the stop and finished ninth.
   Brink and 58x have had their share of troubles during the past weeks.
   June said "we had to put a new motor into the 58 due to the knocks received. Fred's been shaken up three different times but is rarin' to go. (Brink was taken to a Buffalo hospital last week for observation but was released following an aggrivation of a back injury). The crowds have been good though at all the tracks, and despite our problems, things are beginning
to shape up. We've got our sights set on the 100-lap feature at Olean next month."
   The 100-lap affair, an annual event at Olean, has a $3000 purse. Brink finished sixth in the race last year. Brown was third until the 57th lap when he lost a hub and wheel and went to the sidelines.

SOPER IS continuing his habit of winning feature races. He reports that the track at the new Ithaca-Dryden Speedway was a little rough at the start but has smoothed out some. He has taken the feature two straight weeks.
   He swept the mid-season championship at Hunt Raceway last week and added another trophy to his growing collection with a victory at Angelica. The trophy was awarded for his win in a special Chamber of Commerce feature at the western oval.
   He has his sights on the 50-lap mid-season championship at Angelica.

THE MICRO-MIDGETS continue to please the fans at the chemung Speedrome. Leading the parade are the Cronkite youngsters, Chubby and Linda, of Horseheads.
   The machines, with 7 1/2 cubic inch engines as a limit, can gather from 2 1/2 to 3 horsepower. Some of the cars are homemade while others have been bought. Eli Bodine plans to make the micros a regular feature at the track.
   A Powder Puff championship may be in the near future at Chemung, Bodine also reported.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
I have a couple of pictures from the George Nichols collection that I thought I would post on this thread. It's not circle track stuff, but as we are twenty minutes from Watkins Glen it seemed a good fit. I'm just going to post them as I have NO photographer info and while I know a little history on them it would be more fun to see what you guys interject....enjoy!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com