Few Pictures i Took At Lancaster Oldi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Moments In Time * Few Pictures i Took At Lancaster Oldies Driver Day < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 08, 2006Bulldog24 2-08-06  8:14 am
Archive through February 09, 2006Youngun25 2-09-06  5:20 pm
Archive through February 15, 2006Edcat25 2-15-06  11:14 pm
Archive through February 21, 2006Mark25 2-21-06  10:52 pm
Archive through February 24, 2006Weatherman25 2-24-06  8:27 pm
Archive through February 28, 2006Youngun24 2-28-06  11:46 am
Archive through March 01, 2006Weatherman24 3-01-06  4:46 pm
Archive through March 01, 2006Trivia6921 3-01-06  10:06 pm
Archive through March 03, 2006Trivia6923 3-03-06  10:01 am
Archive through March 04, 2006Frontstretch22 3-04-06  9:54 am
Archive through March 06, 2006Weatherman23 3-06-06  9:09 pm
Archive through March 08, 2006Weatherman23 3-08-06  4:29 pm
Archive through March 11, 2006Dlekas24 3-11-06  5:07 pm
Archive through March 13, 2006Nerfbar21 3-13-06  5:03 pm
Archive through March 13, 2006Orange1619 3-13-06  10:21 pm
Archive through March 16, 2006Wookie22 3-16-06  1:49 pm
Archive through March 19, 2006Weatherman23 3-19-06  10:59 am
Archive through March 20, 2006Weatherman17 3-20-06  9:39 pm
Archive through March 21, 2006Mod27ny21 3-21-06  9:05 pm
Archive through March 26, 2006Weatherman19 3-26-06  7:28 am
Archive through March 27, 2006Weatherman17 3-27-06  4:51 pm
Archive through March 28, 2006Tangletongue21 3-28-06  7:23 pm
Archive through March 29, 2006Weatherman20 3-29-06  7:50 pm
Archive through March 30, 2006Wackyracer24 3-30-06  12:06 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tangletongue
Veteran

Post Number: 170

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still trying to adjust DPI, but in the meantime, here's two more twin tiers heros from my personal collection with no known copyright and unknown photographer credits. Enjoy yourselves.

Wackyracer
Champion

Post Number: 1049

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tangletongue,
When you purchase a print you do not have unlimited rights to that photo. Read more here http://www.copyrightcontracts.com/copyright101.htm
www.dankollander.photosite.com
Wackyracer
Champion

Post Number: 1050

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read this also
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sup_01_17.html
Mod27ny
Veteran

Post Number: 120

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAN... You ever heard of quiting while you're ahead? Thank you for the free legal lesson. All you are doing now is P*SSING OFF a whole lot of really great race fans.You're right...racing season is coming.Thank you for your concern. Now let myself and all of the other posters make our own choices.
Tangletongue
Veteran

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, out of curiosity, do you have written permission from the logo designer to use the Lancaster Speedway logo under your name to the left of your posts? Just trying to help.
Dlekas
Veteran

Post Number: 179

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a bummer. I had started printing all of these pics and was going to sell them out of the trunk of my car in the parking lots of the tracks. I guess now I'll have to go back to my day job. I semi-understand his point but many of these pics are from personal photo collections, photographers who can't be given credit because there is no notation, etc. I think most, if not all, of the pics posted here were just being enjoyed for viewing sake and reminiscing. I think the general message that you'll take from this, Dan, is:

1) It was all for fun, not any cash.
2) You ticked off a whole lot of people.
3) You did your business more harm than good by taking that stance and making the comments you did. These types of slip-ups are very common by small "business people". I, for one, will not purchase any more photos from you. And I have 5 on the walls of my office--that's 5 more than I had before I went to your stand and it's also 5 more than you'll ever sell to me again.

BTW, I guess in that light, another post on here has some pics of my kids at a fundraiser--I never signed a release. Should I make a stink about it? Nope. I'm not a richard.

Dave Kasprzak
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 536

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that what Dan was trying to say was, if you know who took the photo, credit it appropriately and if possible contact the person. That way if someone wants a repro they can contact the guy who took the pic.

Frankly, if someone were posting shots that I took on a not-for-profit website at 72 DPI, I'd be jumping up and down for joy at the free off season advertising and wouldn't care if someone posted them. JMO.
Wackyracer
Champion

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First let me state if you don't like the copyright law call you congressman and complain I didn't make the law.

2nd don't kill the messenger for trying to keep this website up.

3rd I don't know what the problem is with telling you how to stay out of trouble. Ignorance is no excuse for what the law says wether or not you agree with it. If you own the copyright of the pictures you can do what ever want with them but if you just bought a print then please get permission from the copyright holder before you post otherwise you could be liable and the webmaster of the site could be liable. Many people would allow the posting of the pictures all you have to do is ask first.

4th More info to read....
http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/8CD796F2-9770-4ECA-B8F2B4F66DB170F1/310/266/ART/

I can't believe someone would not buy any more of my pictures due to a law that I did not make...unbelieveable. If you got a speeding ticket does that mean you would never go to that town again?

Enjoy your day,

Dan Kollander
Speedfreak
Veteran

Post Number: 140

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote (Don't want the internet copyright police after me) "I can't believe someone would not buy any more of my pictures due to a law that I did not make...unbelieveable. If you got a speeding ticket does that mean you would never go to that town again?" Unquote - It's not that, it's because of the way you posted. These 2 threads have been the most enjoyable on here in a LONG time, and now one guy has to be an a$$ and ruin it for everyone - good job, hope you are happy.

Also - I really doubt some one is going to sue to have the site shut down because of a pic that was taken years ago was posted on a racing site that promotes racing - Something you are NOT doing!
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 421

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay now that I've read all this stuff and been a part of it I'm going to post my two cents worth. The majority of the photo's I've posted have come from some other websites and are photos taken by the late Fred Smith, or others like him who aren't with us no more or ones that I've taken myself. If I have a photo in my collection or I have an image that I downloaded from another site and I'll tell anybody right up front I've got a lot of them, I'm certainly not going to take many hours or days to research who took the photo just to get their permission to use it here so all of us can enjoy. If one of the eliteist no names took it upon themselves to put you in a position to tell the rest of the racing
world about the legalese of all of this they should contact the individual posters of the said photos. Until the time comes when that happens, I will continue to post and share what I grew up with and thoroughly enjoy and if one of those eliteist no names wants to take my old decrepit sixty year old butt to court, let him have at it. The US govt. has got their hands full enough right now to worry about us and our two-bit way of having fun. To you Mr. Kollander although you're intentions were good and innocent and you love us all enough to tell all of us about this deal. From now on as I'm concerned, MYOB
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 396

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem, Dan, is nobody really gives a rat's patootey about the law here. We're just having some fun reminiscing and don't appreciate your legal "lesson". Whoever contacted you should have contacted the poster or the admin. And if they wanted to pursue their legal right in court, I'm sure any sane judge would yawn & listen before sending all on their way with a wrist slap at best. Half of those photogs are probably dead or missing by now anyway, so I'm pretty sure RaceNY won't get shut down over this. If you're really vested in this (why you would be, since they're not your pics, I don't know), why not give the name of whoever contacted you to admin & let him handle it? Or better yet, encourage him (or her) to get registered on RaceNY & complain (or threaten, as the case may be) for themselves. Who appointed you to the copyright police force anyway? Surely, you must have something better to do w/your time!
35mmracer
Rookie

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I know I shouldn't get involved in this but ...

The problem Dan brings up is not so much that the photos appear here on RACENY for us to enjoy. (Nothing wrong with a trip down Memory Lane.) It's that once they do get posted, it's too easy for anyone to do anything they want with them.

Someone thinks "Hey, I'll create a web site to share with everyone all of my personal memories of driver John Doe or XYZ Speedway", so they copy and post those photos on their web site. Now another person comes along and decides to help themselves to the same photos for a similar purpose. No harm in that, right? And so it goes, around and around until perhaps somewhere, sometime, these photos appear on a for-profit site.

That's the problem with the Internet. Once you post something in digital format - even if it is something you own - you've totally lost control of it. Yes, people are experimenting with ways to embed "watermarks" in digital photos to identify ownership, but that is assuming that you're able to track down where everything you owned ended up.

Don't forget that at one time, a good share of what got posted in RACENY ended up archived in Google (not sure if this new architecture allows that). That can make the photos also accessible to anyone.

That, my friends, I'm pretty sure is Dan's concern. Your posting an image to share with others can take away control from the actual photo owner. And if the owner does decide to take legal action should one of their images end up on a for-profit site, the courts could say that because that image appeared elsewhere on the web and the owner did nothing about it, then the owner basically has lost any legal claim to the image.

As for Fred Smith's photos, even though he left us a few months ago, his photo collection and negatives were first sold to John Grady and then to Ted Schmidt. So technically Ted owns the rights to these images.

Now, I'm not going to make any comments or give any opinions of the past or future posting of images. I'm just elaborating on what I think Dan's concern was. I just know that that is the very reason why I have not posted anything of mine online until I can figure out how to address the issue.
Groundpounder
Racing Legend

Post Number: 1624

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

nobody really gives a rat's patootey about the law here

WOO HOO! True racing OUTLAWS! Gotta love it!! :-)
"There are only three true sports: mountain climbing, auto racing, and bull fighting. All the rest are children's games played by adults."
- Ernest Hemingway
Modlover
Winner

Post Number: 636

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dlekas, there will be more coming soon! Keep watching that thread!! :-)
Lmpnounsir
Champion

Post Number: 1114

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for the record while you guys burn Dan in effigy(sp?)...I also received the e-mail about the copyrighted pictures
Dave "The Dude" Buchanan

Track Announcer
Lake Erie Speedway
Lancaster Raceway Park
Wyoming County International Speedway
Youngun
Veteran

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

youngun
Yearone
Winner

Post Number: 870

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Wackyracer:
4th More info to read....
http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/8CD796F2-9770-4ECA-B8F2B4F66DB170F1/310/266/ART/...

Most of us are familiar with clicking on a link to go to another website. Common as links are, including them at your site isn't 100% risk-free. Deep links in particular can be problematic. A deep link to another site bypasses its home page and takes the user directly to an internal page. Although no U.S. court has yet ruled that to be an illegal practice, it angers some website owners who do not want visitors to bypass information and advertisements on the home page.

{did you get permission for that link }
If not, COPYRIGHT FRAUD, see how easy it happens. }
North 40
Groundpounder
Racing Legend

Post Number: 1625

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

First let me state if you don't like the copyright law call you congressman and complain

Well, there's one thing I agree with. Here's a page with some history on how copyright law has gotten so out of hand in this country: http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/timeline.html
"There are only three true sports: mountain climbing, auto racing, and bull fighting. All the rest are children's games played by adults."
- Ernest Hemingway
Orange18
Veteran

Post Number: 119

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a life!!!
Admin
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2569

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm temporarily locking this thread until we resolve the copyright issues.
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 600

Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well were back
Eddiebin83
Veteran

Post Number: 143

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's good to be back, eh weatherman? How you been John?
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 602

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i been fine brian looking foward to getting back out to the track soon now
Eddiebin83
Veteran

Post Number: 144

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd give a limb to make that Oswego, May 7th show. Problem is I've got a messed up back and these tracks seem unwilling to move the show along. I did sit for about twenty minutes of Afton's practice on Saturday past and it was a treat! Can't wait to see some vintage photos on here again either.
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 603

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well being only live about 20 min from lancaster ill be there on may 7th
Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 4202

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aim for April 30 first at Lancaster's opener!
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 604

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes ill be there for the opener the practice this sat as well
Eddiebin83
Veteran

Post Number: 151

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you possibly take some pictures for those of us who won't be there? Any pictures will do: cars in the pits, cars on the track from a grandstand perspective or even one of those "bumped my arm" photos will do!! A fan's perspective is the one that counts most. Have fun John and I'll be envying you.
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 612

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes brian ill get some picts lol you remember that bumped my arm thing.......ill see what i can do....John
Eddiebin83
Veteran

Post Number: 160

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, Tell 'em you're a scout for a modelling agency. Have fun!
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 613

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol
Weatherman
Winner

Post Number: 617

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was going to go to lancaster sat. the 22nd but it was rained out.....well lets say cancel so no picts yet brian
Eddiebin83
Veteran

Post Number: 161

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The race tracks and farmers are in the same boat - they have the weather as their business partner and every year could mean starvation. Tough businesses to be in but we'll hope for the best.
Threeacesbuf
Rookie

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an answer to post #1148 k7 is ron wyile, 97 is don wyile, and 22 is pete tingue. taken at perry speedway.in 67 thank you fred}
Fireball
Racing Genius

Post Number: 2743

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred;
You are correct. Do you happen to have a pic of Pete Tingue and the olds Toronado? I have contacted Dick Wittie's son (track photographer in 67) multiple times to sell me any or all of the pics. So far, no call.
Daly28
Veteran

Post Number: 170

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THIS JUST PROVES THERE ARE TOO MANY LAWYERS IN NEW YORK.I WOULD GUESS DAN K.IS A GOOD CUSTOMER>SUE,SUE,SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i am from california were we are still trying to get rid of them(lawyers)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration